Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 44,524 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we currently live in boulder colorado and expect to move to connecticut within a few months.
we have a budget of about 950,000 dollars.
we have one child in middle school so we are looking for a town with good schools.
we are looking for a town where it is worth the investment and which has a history of being a safe family area.
we want as much house for the money as possible.
we appreciate you help!
best wishes,
jenna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 11:24 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,795 times
Hi Jenna,

Even though we are a small state, we still have 169 very different cities and towns. What criteria are important to you? Where will you employment opportunities be?

Your budget will yield great results in 6 of our 8 counties with possible exceptions being parts of Litchfield County (Warren, Washington, and Kent) and most of lower Fairfield County.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:50 PM

hi and thank you...
we are currently looking at areas within close commute to white planes, ny.
we really love the foresty new england type towns, but we'd love a place with shopping near by and very safe family areas.
we're looking at purchasing a three to four bedroom home.
schools are very important to us!
we have been looking at fairfield county, but any other suggestions, we are commuting to white planes (both my husband and I).
your help is much appreciated!!

Old 11-19-2006, 04:31 PM

575 posts, read 3,131,712 times
Well since your budget is that high, look at the towns of Ridgefield, New Caanan, New Fairfield, Wilton, etc...close to the city of stamford/danbury for shopping..very nice towns

Old 11-19-2006, 04:31 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingct View Post
hi and thank you...
we are currently looking at areas within close commute to white planes, ny.
we really love the foresty new england type towns, but we'd love a place with shopping near by and very safe family areas.
we're looking at purchasing a three to four bedroom home.
schools are very important to us!
we have been looking at fairfield county, but any other suggestions, we are commuting to white planes (both my husband and I).
your help is much appreciated!!
With that house price, I hope you realize the amount of taxes you will be paying ($XX,XXX) . You may want to consider private school for your child. Private school tuition may be cheaper than property tax. This way you do not have to worry about moving if the school change principal. You can just move your child to a different school.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:09 AM

5 posts, read 11,607 times
Default Just moved from Golden, CO

Hi there,
My husband and I just moved to CT from Colorado as well. We lived for 10 years in Denver and then recently in Golden before relocating here. We are renting right now as we try to figure out where to live. It is tougher than I thought actually. Your budget is good. Ours is a little lower so that is keeping us out of Fairfield County. If you want to be close to White Plains then you should probably look in Fairfield County. Just beware that you will get a lot less for your money there than in other counties (Hartford or Middlesex). I am originally from Mass. so it is not totally unfamiliar territory here but after living in CO for 10 years it is still a pretty big culture shock. Lots of small towns that seem to be difficult to get a read on. We have been looking in Avon, Canton and Simsbury which are west of Hartford. I would recommend going on line or getting a copy of this month's Connecticut Magazine. They rank all the large towns which may give you an idea of where to start. Small town rankings don't come out until the spring but you can see last year's online. Good luck. I hope we find something soon! Would love to have a home before Christmas.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:43 AM

43 posts, read 276,919 times
You can get very modest homes in New Canaan, Greenwich and Darien for that price. You can do better in Ridgefield and Wilton. If you go further east, like Weston or Easton or Fairfield, you can do even better, but your commute will be that much longer.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:14 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Hi there,
My husband and I just moved to CT from Colorado as well. We lived for 10 years in Denver and then recently in Golden before relocating here. We are renting right now as we try to figure out where to live. It is tougher than I thought actually.
Any comment or opinion in terms of property tax bill between Colorado and CT?

Old 11-20-2006, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 11,607 times
The property tax in CT is more than double what it is in Colorado. Definitely a much bigger factor in selecting a house here.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:34 PM

hi
yes the property taxes in boulder were only around 3,000, the houses we've been looking at are upwards of 9,000--wow!
right now we have been looking closely at wilton and ridgefield...
how are schools in danbury?
thanks!
jenna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut