Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:57 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylghtng View Post
Not looking to throw an entire industry or profession under the bus. My father spent his entire career on Wall Street (although it was a very different time) so I get it. By the same token, aren't certain stereotypes born out of reality? Not to be presumptuous, but I'm sure your husband and his friends would be the first to admit to many sad truths that exist within the "hedge fund" stereotype. I've venture to guess that prob had a little something to do with why you and your neighbors who are part of "that crowd" decided to settle in Ridgefield rather than Greenwich et al. Certain towns attract a certain type of person and it is often palpably reflected in how those folks comport themselves. I can tell you that there is plenty of money in Sag Harbor, too, but - on balance - people act differently than those in East Hampton (i.e. sense of entitlement and 'tude). Obviously, there is a lot of generality in this thread with plenty of exceptions to be made so prob best to read between the lines. Again, did not mean to offend.
If the hedge fund thing really strikes a nerve, then maybe consider other places, but I still think Ridgefield pretty much checks off all of your boxes.

Add the Dog and Pony to the nice restaurants listed prior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 02:58 PM

21 posts, read 17,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contador View Post
The behavioral nuances of the local socio/economic classes didn't factor into our decision. Price, house condition, and school district were everything.

We bought in Ridgefield because we had one weekend to look for housing, and the only affordable house that was big enough in decent condition was in Ridgefield. It's no showplace; it was just a 70s tract house that had avocado green carpet and dark mass-produced paneling. We were abruptly moved from down south where housing is much less expensive, so we had to take the best of what was available in our limited price range. It's still no beauty, but we've fixed it up pretty well over the years, and it's proven to be a nice family home in a nice family neighborhood. No regrets.
Well then, sounds like you lucked out re: "behavioral nuances."

Old 01-15-2016, 03:22 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Not looking to throw an entire industry or profession under the bus. My father spent his entire career on Wall Street (although it was a very different time) so I get it. By the same token, aren't certain stereotypes born out of reality? Not to be presumptuous, but I'm sure your husband and his friends would be the first to admit to many sad truths that exist within the "hedge fund" stereotype. I've venture to guess that prob had a little something to do with why you and your neighbors who are part of "that crowd" decided to settle in Ridgefield rather than Greenwich et al. Certain towns attract a certain type of person and it is often palpably reflected in how those folks comport themselves. I can tell you that there is plenty of money in Sag Harbor, too, but - on balance - people act differently than those in East Hampton (i.e. sense of entitlement and 'tude). Obviously, there is a lot of generality in this thread with plenty of exceptions to be made so prob best to read between the lines. Again, did not mean to offend.
Maybe in the 1970's, your opinions about towns/personalities might have some truth. In 2016, there are a wide array of jobs in the region and, even in Darien/Greenwich/New Canaan, you're much more likely to encounter residents who don't work on Wall St. than those who do. And FWIW, having lived in the area my whole life, people move to Ridgefield over Greenwich for one reason only (aside from work commute): cost. What is 650k in Ridgefield would be $1.3m in Greenwich. They don't do it because of the "hedge fund crowd".

Old 01-15-2016, 03:37 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Umm, my husband and some of our neighbors are "that crowd." You'd be happy to know how down-to-earth & unpretentious they are. Just working class/middle class guys who made good, still believing that middle class living is the sweet spot. Please don't stereotype.
It's a free country. OP can stereotype all he wants. You stereotyped yourself.

You could have bought in Bridgeport and taken kids to private school, with savings from home purchase and property tax. Why didn't you?

Man is about to drop 2 mill, he can think anything he wants, without worrying about the PC crap.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
If the hedge fund thing really strikes a nerve, then maybe consider other places, but I still think Ridgefield pretty much checks off all of your boxeS
I live full-time in NYC so I have a decent tolerance for jackholes of every strata. I'm not looking for purity, just less visible/obnoxious/flagrant attitude.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:01 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
I live full-time in NYC so I have a decent tolerance for jackholes of every strata. I'm not looking for purity, just less visible/obnoxious/flagrant attitude.
Understood, personally never experienced that in Ridgefield but I dont live their either.
Now Darien and NC I have a lifetime of experience with and know what your talking about.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:02 PM

104 posts, read 99,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
It's a free country. OP can stereotype all he wants. You stereotyped yourself.
fair enough...

Quote:
You could have bought in Bridgeport and taken kids to private school, with savings from home purchase and property tax. Why didn't you?
because we'd had enough of that in New Orleans, which is like Bridgeport but with better restaurants and bars and Mardi Gras. Besides, Ridgefield is closer to work.

Quote:
Man is about to drop 2 mill, he can think anything he wants, without worrying about the PC crap.
Defending the "hedge fund crowd" isn't exactly PC. So you can untwist your knickers now.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Defending the "hedge fund crowd" isn't exactly PC. So you can untwist your knickers now.
You came out swinging in your original post defending the "hedge fund crowd." I kindly addressed your objection and sanctimonious reprimand with consideration and sensitivity while maintaining my honest feelings. Your subsequent response failed to acknowledge all of the above nor suggest any effort to build a constructive dialogue or find common ground. Instead, your tone remained pissy. And now you are admonishing another poster who dared challenge you? To quote the great Bill Murray, "Lighten up, Francis."

Old 01-15-2016, 04:27 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
I personally can't relate to OP's "hedge fund crowd" reference, hence my use of "quotation marks."

Yet, OP is a grown man, with wife and kids, and has done well for himself, and is looking to buy in somewhere.

So it's not my (or your) place to moralize with him. He is looking for advice on towns, not to get a session with C-D shrinks.

So let's help him with what he thinks he wants, not what you think he should want.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:39 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
You came out swinging in your original post defending the "hedge fund crowd." I kindly addressed your objection and sanctimonious reprimand with consideration and sensitivity while maintaining my honest feelings. Your subsequent response failed to acknowledge all of the above nor suggest any effort to build a constructive dialogue or find common ground. Instead, your tone remained pissy. And now you are admonishing another poster who dared challenge you? To quote the great Bill Murray, "Lighten up, Francis."
And rightfully so. The first person to make generalizations regarding towns/attitude was yourself. Fairfield County is a place where you get what you give, as seen here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut