Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 07:05 PM

6,012 posts, read 4,987,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The Providence paper seems to confirm this and cites a life sciences tie-in:

GE could still move some jobs to R.I., Raimondo says - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Old 01-13-2016, 07:07 PM

33,801 posts, read 16,806,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

GE could still move some jobs to R.I., Raimondo says - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Not as bad as losing hq, but Ct hardly needs more bad GE news.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:19 PM

33,801 posts, read 16,806,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post

There's also the chance that other companies will be following GE's lead and be looking to relocate. GE's departure will be noted by A LOT of people and other companies.

In all likelihood, many corp hqs will, at minimum, form exploratory committes over the same tax/policy issues, and will provide 2 options to Ct: (1) Give them incentives to stay, or (2) Play Russian Roulette with them as Ct did with GE hq, and Ct lost.

BTW, Can't wait to hear Joe Scarborough talk about this announcement Thursday morning.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:43 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,463,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

I'll be up there this weekend, I'll give my feedback come Monday. It wouldn't be a bad move. Close to each other, Brown is right there and the City is a fun little place to be.

I actually know companies that are expanding to there from other parts of New England.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:50 PM

4,394 posts, read 3,281,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So, I guess what we'll learn from this is the relentless chant of lower taxes is NOT what this is all about. I've been saying for YEARS that the important things are growing an atmosphere conducive to entrepreneurship. The difference in levels of taxation between Connecticut and Mass are negligible.

What Boston offers it atmosphere that is highly innovative, cultivates a young, engaged, educated workforce, etc.

As far of COL goes, the average 1 bedroom in Boston is $2200-- So this is not about dinero... It's not about taxation. There is simply no package the governor could have offered that would have kept GE here.

I am from Stamford. In the 1960's Stamford was basically a commuter town into NYC. I am going to age myself but I remember in the 1960's the tallest building was 2 stories in Ridgeway. I know and understand how Stamford grew because quite a few of my relatives and their friends were involved in Stamford politics. They proposed a 7 year tax abatement for large corporations. I remember there was a contentious debate on the whole thing but it did pass. The Stamford economy began to take off and that was the beginning of the Stamford you see today.

After about 10 to 15 years some of the companies moved out and many who were against it said "I told you so". But guess what.....other companies kept coming in to take their place. No one from Stamford blamed the Democratic or Republican governors.

If it is all about the taxes why didn't Fairfield give them a property tax break? Malloy can't do that. Isn't Fairfield run by Republicans? Why didn't the Fairfield politicians put their money where their mouth is and offer property tax relief?

Here is another thing I would like to point out. Malloy didn't make the pension mess, he inherited it from 2 Republican governors before him but no one mentions that. Malloy also got elected right after an economic calamity almost as bad as the Depression. I am not saying that Malloy is perfect but I believe he is trying to do the best he can with the situation he took over.

PS, I just bought a new Kenmore washer/dryer (it's a Whirlpool or Maytag) that is now being made in the US. The salesman told me that some companies are starting to manufacture their products in the US again, just look for the "Made in the US" sticker. Screw GE and Immelt, start buying American made anyway.

Bernie Sanders and the "5 Chinas"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suN-9FrBi7E

Last edited by CTartist; 01-13-2016 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 07:55 PM

402 posts, read 682,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is too bad we are losing one of our state's largest corporate headquarters but we will survive. Not end of world. Jay
They won't be the last. I think there will be major changes in demography in the next decade. Ct. will not be in the lead

Old 01-13-2016, 08:09 PM

854 posts, read 1,233,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I am going to age myself but I remember in the 1960's the tallest building was 2 stories in Ridgeway.
That's wrong. In the 1960s there were taller buildings at 1 Atlantic Street, 65 Prospect Street, 218 Bedford Street, 53 Prospect Street and at least a few others including Old Town Hall.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:30 PM

4,394 posts, read 3,281,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
That's wrong. In the 1960s there were taller buildings at 1 Atlantic Street, 65 Prospect Street, 218 Bedford Street, 53 Prospect Street and at least a few others including Old Town Hall.
Thansk, I was a kid. Those buildings could not have been over 2 or 3 stories, right?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:38 PM

36,939 posts, read 38,928,836 times
Is the tax difference between CT and Massachusetts really that different? There are probably a lot more significant differences apart from taxes between Fairfield and Boston. Didn't GE move out of NYC to Fairfield not because of taxes per se, but because NYC had pretty much gone down the tubes at the time?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:44 PM

13,992 posts, read 13,772,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Is the tax difference between CT and Massachusetts really that different? There are probably a lot more significant differences apart from taxes between Fairfield and Boston.
Business climate is better in Mass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut