Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 12:12 PM

33,748 posts, read 16,749,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Having a nice yard, square footage and good schools trumps coffee shops and overcrowded mass transit for families. .
For you and me, perhaps.

But we need to respect millenials may well feel differently, both now and when they are middle--aged. Times change. And there are sensational urban schools, too. Large cities are far more than their worst neighborhoods alone. Plus with smaller families, upscale non religious private schools would be a likelier consideration than when families had many children.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:16 PM

3,344 posts, read 4,127,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
For you and me, perhaps.

But we need to respect millenials may well feel differently, both now and when they are middle--aged. Times change.
Times haven't changed, this all foots with the delay in starting families. I lived in NYC (and still work there 5-6 days/week). I used to be a huge cheerleader for urban living (before it became the trend). Then three kids came along. Not to dissimilar to the State Farm commercial airing now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Z91YkPatw

Old 01-14-2016, 12:20 PM

33,748 posts, read 16,749,502 times
Quote:
Times haven't changed, this all foots with the delay in starting families. I lived in NYC (and still work there 5-6 days/week). I used to be a huge cheerleader for urban living (before it became the trend). Then three kids came along. Not to dissimilar to the State Farm commercial airing now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Z91YkPatw

I disagree, as I see the change b/w attitudes of my generation and millenials. These kids will most likely have primarily no or one kid, and outliers will have two. They do not wish to commute their lives away. Many are fleeing suburban lives they were raised in.

I know that is bad news for suburban developers.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I disagree, as I see the change b/w attitudes of my generation and millenials. These kids will most likely have primarily no or one kid, and outliers will have two. They do not wish to commute their lives away. Many are fleeing suburban lives they were raised in.

I know that is bad news for suburban developers.
I'm a bit closer to the pulse as a millennial myself. I'm the older end, and I am seeing the most ardent supporters of the no kid mentality buckle one by one. Many of these contemporaries have significant means and can actually afford to raise a kid in the UES/UWS/Tribe-ca yet are still raising the white flag for the inner and outer affluent suburbs. The energy of the big cities also wears after awhile; traffic, stress, exorbitant costs of any and everything, crowds as well as claustrophobia of micro apartments.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:33 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,870,700 times
Quote:
There are a lot of assumptions here, and let's just say we've seen this movie before and trends aren't permanent. There is also the obvious, hip may not be as durable (or as important) as it's being projected. Sounds like you are following the the media narrative to a T in terms of believing what is being told that we "want". Almost scripted. The death of the suburb is greatly exaggerated (well, false is more appropriate The Triumph of Suburbia)
Obviously nothing lasts forever. But the move to the suburbs is really something which was only a big thing for 2.5 generations or so. And the social norm in just about every other country is the richest people live in the city center.

There is no doubt that the vast majority of Americans continue to choose suburbia. But "suburban aspirations" are these days much higher among nonwhites and people without advanced degrees. Looking more narrowly at younger people with professional backgrounds, there has been a real shift.

Still, in terms of employment, it's a moot point. Top talent is becoming more concentrated in both major U.S. cities and those cities suburbs. For the purposes of corporate recruitment, they point to the same place - which is away from Connecticut. People will still live in Fairfield County and commute to NYC. But if you are a major employer, you won't choose Fairfield County to locate over NYC, because Fairfield County draws upon a smaller potential talent pool than NYC does.

Quote:
Cities are still violent---Fourteen days into the new year, nearly 150 people have been shot in Chicago so far, 23 of them fatally
Cities are still more violent than suburban areas, but it's nothing like the 1970s, when even the New York Stock exchange considered leaving for Atlanta. There's really to dissuade a major U.S. corporation from being headquartered in a major urban CBD these days - unless they are losing money or otherwise too poor to afford it.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:41 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,223,174 times
Nothing new here.

We baby boomers also wanted to live in the city in the 1980's. The difference between the 1980's and today was that the safe parts of the city were extremely limited. Lower East Side? Are you kidding? Half of the Upper West Side was trash. Chelsea? The East Village? No way. And the notion of living in Brooklyn was beyond absurd.

So today, with so many more safe and cool neighborhoods, there is a huge multiple of 20-somethings living in "the city" and thumbing their noses at the suburbs, just like we did.

But as a prior poster pointed out, these 20-somethings will become 30-somethings. And for those who get married and have a couple of kids, the vast majority will be high-tailing it out of the city for greener pastures. There is just something really nice about you and your kids hopping into a car, and just going where you want to go and when you want to go. And now worries about which schools your kids are going to attend, and how you are going to get them there. Not to mention peace and quiet and trees.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:46 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,530,347 times
Millennials are scared of driving!!!

Huh!!!

What a joke.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:47 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,870,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
But as a prior poster pointed out, these 20-somethings will become 30-somethings. And for those who get married and have a couple of kids, the vast majority will be high-tailing it out of the city for greener pastures. There is just something really nice about you and your kids hopping into a car, and just going where you want to go and when you want to go. And now worries about which schools your kids are going to attend, and how you are going to get them there. Not to mention peace and quiet and trees.
But again, this doesn't really matter that much, because...

1. A certain percentage of the young workers will be continually replaced.

2. You get access to a better talent pool of older suburban workers if you are in a major urban area as well. Consider if GE moved back to NYC, as an example. Virtually all of the old Fairfield workers should be able to make the commute work. But the company would also have the talent pool of NYC, Long Island, Westchester County, and Northern New Jersey to draw upon. A bigger talent pool means more job applicants. This means (presuming your HR department is competent) a better work force.

Thus, in the end, it really doesn't matter if millennials move to the suburbs. They'll continue working in the city.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:52 PM

854 posts, read 1,231,394 times
Quote:
The energy of the big cities also wears after awhile; traffic, stress, exorbitant costs of any and everything, crowds as well as claustrophobia of micro apartments.
How long have you been a Realtor®?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Obviously nothing lasts forever. But the move to the suburbs is really something which was only a big thing for 2.5 generations or so. And the social norm in just about every other country is the richest people live in the city center.

There is no doubt that the vast majority of Americans continue to choose suburbia. But "suburban aspirations" are these days much higher among nonwhites and people without advanced degrees. Looking more narrowly at younger people with professional backgrounds, there has been a real shift.

Still, in terms of employment, it's a moot point. Top talent is becoming more concentrated in both major U.S. cities and those cities suburbs. For the purposes of corporate recruitment, they point to the same place - which is away from Connecticut. People will still live in Fairfield County and commute to NYC. But if you are a major employer, you won't choose Fairfield County to locate over NYC, because Fairfield County draws upon a smaller potential talent pool than NYC does.

Cities are still more violent than suburban areas, but it's nothing like the 1970s, when even the New York Stock exchange considered leaving for Atlanta. There's really to dissuade a major U.S. corporation from being headquartered in a major urban CBD these days - unless they are losing money or otherwise too poor to afford it.
Loved your first statement "just about every other country is the richest people live in the city center"--- so are you saying that the very rich live in cities only some of the time? As an FYI, 4 out of the 5 wealthiest in the world eschew the city for the 'burbs (Gates, Buffett, Ellison and Bezos).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut