Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 12:43 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
By minor do you mean only 300% higher? I'm confused?

http://www.newgeography.com/files/cox-crime-1.png

I mean a year with 3 murders in Fairfield would hardly be earth-shattering news. Or any of the many 50-70,000 Ct pop towns. That is what NYC's 400 is per capita, 3 in towns 50-70k.

NYC at one point had over 2,000 annual murders. Chicago now has a lower quantity than the Bronx had in the 80s.Cities are once again safe.

And there are now Milford neighborhoods I avoid after dark. Things change.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:45 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,164,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I mean a year with 3 murders in Fairfield would hardly be earth-shattering news. Or any of the many 50-70,000 Ct pop towns.

NYC at one point had over 2,000 annual murders. Chicago now has a lower quantity than the Bronx had in the 80s.Cities are once again safe.

And there are now Milford neighborhoods I avoid after dark. Things change.
Nice job begging the question... Crime remains 3x higher in urban core vs suburbs. Not minor. Period. Full Stop. You do realize since 1990 crime has fallen sharply in both urban cores and suburbs.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:46 PM

I know it is more frightening if GE left due to cultural, urban is desirable changes, as FFC can't offer that.

Taxes can be dealt with if the state elects the right people, urban vs suburban is beyond Ct's control.

A 2.5 gen suburban fad is hardly the basis for assuming it lasts forever-especially with smaller families being the norm now. Especially as women are close to 60% of college grads, and getting off career track means making the degree far less worthwhile.

One thing is certain: Ct just lost its biggest fish. #8 on F500. Hopefully, the pols spend immense time with the rest to insure they are happy with their location and Ct government, infrastructure, candidate pool, etc.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:57 PM

Behind the scenes: How Boston landed GE | Boston Herald

Interesting. Long-term planning.

Key question for Ct pols: Who else is talking about moving and getting deeper into the process?

Old 01-14-2016, 01:03 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Nice job begging the question... Crime remains 3x higher in urban core vs suburbs. Not minor. Period. Full Stop. You do realize since 1990 crime has fallen sharply in both urban cores and suburbs.
NYC's decline in crime has been more rapid than other cities though. It's the safest large city in the country now.

Of course, this is a moot point, given GE didn't move to NYC. But citing a statistic about "urban cores" isn't the best way to foil a discussion of gentrification, because a lot of urban cores aren't gentrifying.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
NYC's decline in crime has been more rapid than other cities though. It's the safest large city in the country now.

Of course, this is a moot point, given GE didn't move to NYC. But citing a statistic about "urban cores" isn't the best way to foil a discussion of gentrification, because a lot of urban cores aren't gentrifying.

I suspect many are mad because had GE picked NYC, many GE hq staff would simply have commuted. Picking Boston makes GE hq and affect on ;local suppliers a 100% Ct loss. And the idea demographic changes could mean more days for Ct like yesterday is, of course, extremely scary.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:12 PM

570 posts, read 476,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Thus, in the end, it really doesn't matter if millennials move to the suburbs. They'll continue working in the city.
Which is the shift that we are discussing..from 2002 until now, a lot of people hitched their wagons to small cities like Stamford or White Plains with theory that they could always get a good salary with decent commute at IBM, GE, Pepsi, RBS, UBS, Nestle, AIG or numerous small banks or mortgage industry support firms (Clayton etc). I work in Stamford now and it shocks me how many people drive from Northern Redding, Newtown, Branford, Guilford and even outside Carmel and Pawling, NY. The commute is tolerable at 45 to 1 hour by train or drive but what happens when those jobs are gone and you now have to commute into NYC? Those suburbs-exhurbs are ones that will suffer. Anything east of 7 and north of Merritt (save Wilton,Weston) might be tough sells, zero appreciation anchors if you bought high. Who wants to drive 30m to take 75 train ride? That is gruesome. I bought knowing I may have to go to city someday. I think 90m door to door is about limit that most could bear. Even that is tough but I know plenty do it. I just see many people who never planned for it.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Which is the shift that we are discussing..from 2002 until now, a lot of people hitched their wagons to small cities like Stamford or White Plains with theory that they could always get a good salary with decent commute at IBM, GE, Pepsi, RBS, UBS, Nestle, AIG or numerous small banks or mortgage industry support firms (Clayton etc). I work in Stamford now and it shocks me how many people drive from Northern Redding, Newtown, Branford, Guilford and even outside Carmel and Pawling, NY. The commute is tolerable at 45 to 1 hour by train or drive but what happens when those jobs are gone and you now have to commute into NYC? Those suburbs-exhurbs are ones that will suffer. Anything east of 7 and north of Merritt (save Wilton,Weston) might be tough sells, zero appreciation anchors if you bought high. Who wants to drive 30m to take 75 train ride? That is gruesome. I bought knowing I may have to go to city someday. I think 90m door to door is about limit that most could bear. Even that is tough but I know plenty do it. I just see many people who never planned for it.

Good points. Nephew left Wall St job, living in Fairfield, as Monday to Friday, he never saw his kids. Working in Chicago, he has supper with them daily..before 6:30..

Old 01-14-2016, 01:18 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
100% with you.. I'm shocked when I see that too. Maybe back in the day you could count on working in the same place, and moving up, for 10+ years but these days you really need to live in a place that gives you as many options as possible in case you get laid off/fired/company moves. This is also a reason why young people like cities.. there are a lot more professional opportunities there, and it's likely you'll need to switch jobs a few times until you find your groove.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:23 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,177,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Good points. Nephew left Wall St job, living in Fairfield, as Monday to Friday, he never saw his kids. Working in Chicago, he has supper with them daily..before 6:30..
Exactly. I know quite a few in town living that exact scenario as we speak. And just as CT Yank said, they never planned for it, and now admit they didn't know what they were getting into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut