Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:50 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Taxes were not the sole reason GE left but it would be a stretch to say they were not a factor in the decision.
I think that's true. I'm sure there was more than one factor, and that taxes were one of those factors. The retroactive tax increase passed in 2015, after Malloy ran on a platform of no tax increases, appears to have been the last straw on the tax front.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:13 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
There's nothing to substantiate that taxes were a factor, and it's been discussed on this thread at length. It's been well documented that GE paid very little in taxes over a long period anyway. Plus if they were after low taxes, they could've gone to a southern state instead of Massachusetts.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:09 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,058 times
Clearly taxes were not the only factor but I'm assuming that GE's own comments on the matter would be enough for most people to substantiate that taxes were one factor in, if not the final decision, the overall decision making process.

General Electric to Move Headquarters to Boston - WSJ

"A GE spokeswoman said discussion revolved around ways to redefine the role of the corporate headquarters. And last year’s budget deal had prompted GE to hasten its exit, she added."

"GE first publicly threatened its move in June, blaming a Connecticut budget deal that raised corporate taxes and what company officials described as an inhospitable business climate."

Old 10-05-2016, 09:27 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times
I hate to rub it in, as I am from Boston. However the reality is that Boston Metro area offers leaps and bounds over Fairfield County, CT. Ffield County is inextricably linked to New York City, yet it is not a focal point of the Metro area. Intellectual capital, infrastructure, and World class name recognition are all areas where Boston, due to it's sheer population size and status, exceeds Fairfield Co.

Again I don't mean to insult Fairfield/CT, so please do not take it that way. If GE had been located in NYC and Boston were to pull it away, then it would be a real coup.

In Boston, the general perspective is that adding GE is another feather (maybe a large feather) in it's cap. This city has lots going for it.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I hate to rub it in, as I am from Boston. However the reality is that Boston Metro area offers leaps and bounds over Fairfield County, CT. Ffield County is inextricably linked to New York City, yet it is not a focal point of the Metro area. Intellectual capital, infrastructure, and World class name recognition are all areas where Boston, due to it's sheer population size and status, exceeds Fairfield Co.

Again I don't mean to insult Fairfield/CT, so please do not take it that way. If GE had been located in NYC and Boston were to pull it away, then it would be a real coup.

In Boston, the general perspective is that adding GE is another feather (maybe a large feather) in it's cap. This city has lots going for it.
FFC is just suburbs of NYC not really secondary point for NYC well Stamford/Norwalk a little

Old 10-05-2016, 10:31 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
FFC is just suburbs of NYC not really secondary point for NYC well Stamford/Norwalk a little
Exactly my point. FFC vs. Boston is not an apples to apples comparison.

GE could have moved to Boston, NYC and to a lesser extent Providence RI to accomplish their objectives.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:49 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Quote:

GE could have moved to Boston, NYC and to a lesser extent Providence RI to accomplish their objectives.
Yea because Bridgeport is isolated not tied to NYC economy, Danbury is further out everything is just the suburbs

Old 10-06-2016, 12:52 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,177,632 times
Quote:

Correct, Fairfield or Bridgeport for that matter (a meaningless oversight by the author who's probably not concerned with offending old time natives) are poedunk hicktowns compared to globally recognized Boston.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:04 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,150 times
Quote:

The location of GE's headquarters was outdated as well. When GE moved out of NY and into CT in the 1970's, Boston and NYC were declining. Suburbia was booming and CT benefitted from it so that's why companies moved and expanded here. Now it's quite the opposite. Those suburban office parks are a thing of the past. Preferences change and the government can't change that. Sure the government can give incentives but that alone isn't a guarantee they'll stay or not.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:08 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:

To my mind NYC is the capital of the world. Boston may have been a good second best given the high costs of doing business in NYC proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut