Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:37 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
To my mind NYC is the capital of the world. Boston may have been a good second best given the high costs of doing business in NYC proper.
I don't think that GE even considered NYC for relocation, this time around. Westchester County was under consideration.

NYC dwarfs Metro Boston in size and no doubt it can be considered one of the capitals of the world. Boston punches above it's weight, though.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:28 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I don't think that GE even considered NYC for relocation, this time around. Westchester County was under consideration.

NYC dwarfs Metro Boston in size and no doubt it can be considered one of the capitals of the world. Boston punches above it's weight, though.
I went to law school there. I was hoping to be impressed but came away nonplussed at best.

One night in February or March 1981 my friend from high school and I were walking up Boyleston Street from the Italian North End back to the dorms near B.U. Law School. A bunch of toughs, from behind, yelled "are you men or women"? Before we had a chance to answer that question (we were both straight males) the beer bottles flew. The one aimed at me went through my hairs. My friend wasn't so lucky. He wound up in Beth Israel hospital's ER for the night.

The Boston Police drove us around and drove up to one gang. They have us less than 30 seconds to look at them to ID them. I'm pretty sure they had the right people but we never had a chance to say "yes." All that I lost from the incident was a friend. He didn't die. The incident strained our friendship. He was pretty badly hurt. While I stayed through graduation in 1982 I can't say that my stay there was unblemished.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:15 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I went to law school there. I was hoping to be impressed but came away nonplussed at best.

One night in February or March 1981 my friend from high school and I were walking up Boyleston Street from the Italian North End back to the dorms near B.U. Law School. A bunch of toughs, from behind, yelled "are you men or women"? Before we had a chance to answer that question (we were both straight males) the beer bottles flew. The one aimed at me went through my hairs. My friend wasn't so lucky. He wound up in Beth Israel hospital's ER for the night.

The Boston Police drove us around and drove up to one gang. They have us less than 30 seconds to look at them to ID them. I'm pretty sure they had the right people but we never had a chance to say "yes." All that I lost from the incident was a friend. He didn't die. The incident strained our friendship. He was pretty badly hurt. While I stayed through graduation in 1982 I can't say that my stay there was unblemished.
Pretty long grudge to have, ey? You do know this happens every day in NYC too, or any city for that matter? Not to mention 80's-mid 90's were pretty dark times in terms of crime for urban America. Got into a fight with some scum bags from Bridgeport one time circa 2010, who cares? Beidgeport is a hell hole for a number of deep seated reasons, my experience of fighting off some city trash trying to rob a drunk friend laying on the curb is not the reason I tell people to avoid at al costs. Anyway, Boston is much more than the product of its crime , and one needs to weigh all those variables carefully against their priorities. I'm a suburb guy, you'll never find me living in a urban core. Introspection. It's good for you.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:21 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
GE is history. Thread should be too

Old 10-30-2016, 08:19 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Pretty long grudge to have, ey? You do know this happens every day in NYC too, or any city for that matter? Not to mention 80's-mid 90's were pretty dark times in terms of crime for urban America. Got into a fight with some scum bags from Bridgeport one time circa 2010, who cares? Beidgeport is a hell hole for a number of deep seated reasons, my experience of fighting off some city trash trying to rob a drunk friend laying on the curb is not the reason I tell people to avoid at al costs. Anyway, Boston is much more than the product of its crime , and one needs to weigh all those variables carefully against their priorities. I'm a suburb guy, you'll never find me living in a urban core. Introspection. It's good for you.
I said "nonplussed at best." I seriously don't think Boston is bad; just overrated.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:06 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
GE is history. Thread should be too
I think you are right. Anything new on this topic can easily be covered in the Economic Climate thread. I am closing this down. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut