Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:35 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,191 times

Advertisements

What is there left to do on guns?

CT already has the strictest gun restrictions in the country. Its all political and its about mollifying a hysterical populace here.

Chris Murphy is a total tool! He must have the lowest IQ in the entire senate.

Gun control is bread and circuses for the CT electorate while we spiral into bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:45 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,202,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Parts of our civilization here in the States aren't quite so civilized, unfortunately. The sentiment is nice but consider the implications if you have a whole section of lockers filled with arms and armaments, just waiting for criminals who don't care about the law, or locks, to come in and bust them open. That's the problem with us. If you give us too many toys we tend to break them. We're still a very young country compared to much of the rest of the world. We have a lot of growing up to do.
If my history is not too rusty, Canada kinda formed about the same time we (Americans) won our independence (which Canada didn't). Unification / Confederation in Canada occurred mid 19th century.

So, how does that make Canada older than US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Seigequinox.

Nice try at insulting me AND my country.

I spent 30 years from 1966 to 1996, as a Canadian Forces Military Police officer, and I was armed at all times, while on duty. So, I do speak from a position of personal experience.

Jim B.
Do you understand that we have a Constitution and Bill of Rights that is very different from you, or anybody else? Do you also understand that our Constitution and Bill of Rights are the most innovative, cutting edge human forms of governance?

So, if I have a flat-screen TV, why would want your black-and-white 1957 Zenith tube?

Old 06-18-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Parts of our civilization here in the States aren't quite so civilized, unfortunately. The sentiment is nice but consider the implications if you have a whole section of lockers filled with arms and armaments, just waiting for criminals who don't care about the law, or locks, to come in and bust them open. That's the problem with us. If you give us too many toys we tend to break them. We're still a very young country compared to much of the rest of the world. We have a lot of growing up to do.
If gun-carrying ability of the populace is the yardstick of a civilized society -- would you say that gun-restricted Angola is more civilized than gun-toting, gun-nuts Switzerland? So according to you, Switzerland is very young, has a lot to grow, and become like Angola?

That's a rhetorical question because the opposite is true of course.

A society that entrust its own citizens to be responsible gun owners, and adults about it -- that a definitive yardstick in measuring the civility in a society.

Secondly, some people say now it is 2016, and not 1816 (not sure what 1816 represents though). My response is -- why do you think we are exempt from laws of states and societies? Do you think that history repeats for everybody else, but just not us? Why are we so special that cause-effect laws that have worked throughout history will just not apply to us and just not now?

I am not even drawing attention to what's happening to the rest of the civilized societies.

No, guns in the arms of the citizens as a deterrence against tyranny - checks and balances, moderation, -- this still remain the most advanced, civilized form of governance of imperfect humans and imperfect Govts they create.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:42 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
If gun-carrying ability of the populace is the yardstick of a civilized society -- would you say that gun-restricted Angola is more civilized than gun-toting, gun-nuts Switzerland? So according to you, Switzerland is very young, has a lot to grow, and become like Angola?

That's a rhetorical question because the opposite is true of course.

A society that entrust its own citizens to be responsible gun owners, and adults about it -- that a definitive yardstick in measuring the civility in a society.

Secondly, some people say now it is 2016, and not 1816 (not sure what 1816 represents though). My response is -- why do you think we are exempt from laws of states and societies? Do you think that history repeats for everybody else, but just not us? Why are we so special that cause-effect laws that have worked throughout history will just not apply to us and just not now?

I am not even drawing attention to what's happening to the rest of the civilized societies.

No, guns in the arms of the citizens as a deterrence against tyranny - checks and balances, moderation, -- this still remain the most advanced, civilized form of governance of imperfect humans and imperfect Govts they create.
Switzerland gun culture is NOTHING like US Gun culture.... but nice try..

Old 06-18-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Switzerland gun culture is NOTHING like US Gun culture.... but nice try..
Who told you that? Let me know when you see this in CT:

Old 06-20-2016, 06:51 AM

712 posts, read 529,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
What is there left to do on guns?

CT already has the strictest gun restrictions in the country. Its all political and its about mollifying a hysterical populace here.

Chris Murphy is a total tool! He must have the lowest IQ in the entire senate.

Gun control is bread and circuses for the CT electorate while we spiral into bankruptcy.
Plenty left to do.
1)Take away all Concealed carry permits
2)Ban all long guns
3)Ban all semi automatic handguns
4)Ban guns completely.
I'm not saying I'm for this. I'm just answering your question. Australia banned all civilian ownership of firearms.

A state gun law is only as strong as the federal law. What difference does a state ban on ar-15 make when you can cross over to another state and buy one? A Jihadi will make the trip to the other state to get his weapon. Silliness. State gun laws are idiotic. It should all be federal whether you are pro or anti gun control.

Also, there shouldn't be such a thing as states not recognizing a CC licence from another state and arresting someone. A concealed carry licence should be recognized in all states if we are going to have them. Also, in certain cities it's nearly impossible to get a concealed carry permit, while in others they MUST issue you one if you pass a background check. That's something the NRA should be fighting against instead of fighting common sense measures like background checks.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:54 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

House Dems demanding a vote on gun control with a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut