Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:09 AM

35 posts, read 71,767 times

Advertisements

How crazy would we be to consider moving to Shelton? I know the commute is going to suck. Husband works in Stamford and could technically take the train. I really would have to drive and possibly look for another job closer to home.

Or what about Danbury area?

We just have to get out of Greenwich. Many reasons why, but I feel so confused on another community to live. Husband will not consider Norwalk or Stamford due to school system and higher taxes. He wants a newer house with 4 plus bedrooms around 500-600k. I know that is do-able in Shelton or Danbury area, but the commute. Man, the commute is what is getting to me. I used to commute from Norwalk to White Plains and that was a walk in the park compared to what we possibly could be getting into if we moved.

Sorry, my question is kind of all over the place. I just got some shocking news last night about the state of our finances and we really need to make some kind of move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:22 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnsey View Post
How crazy would we be to consider moving to Shelton? I know the commute is going to suck. Husband works in Stamford and could technically take the train. I really would have to drive and possibly look for another job closer to home.

Or what about Danbury area?

We just have to get out of Greenwich. Many reasons why, but I feel so confused on another community to live. Husband will not consider Norwalk or Stamford due to school system and higher taxes. He wants a newer house with 4 plus bedrooms around 500-600k. I know that is do-able in Shelton or Danbury area, but the commute. Man, the commute is what is getting to me. I used to commute from Norwalk to White Plains and that was a walk in the park compared to what we possibly could be getting into if we moved.

Sorry, my question is kind of all over the place. I just got some shocking news last night about the state of our finances and we really need to make some kind of move.

Welcome to other side of Fairfield County/New Haven County

Shelton is a small city located on the western bank of the housatonic River aka The Valley. The Route 8 expressway connected Shelton to the Merritt Parkway and I-95. Large homes and condo complexes are within Shelton. The Huntington section of Shelton is very nice. So is White hills. Bridgeport Avenue (the old Route 8) became a commercial corridor and a LOT of office buildings and commercial centers. Shelton is consider Upper middle class 55k-65k range not super rich like Greenwich/Stamford area. Shelton schools are good but below Fairfield, Greenwich, Westport etc

I recommended Trumbull, Fairfield you can find nice houses in that range plus you are closer to train line than Shelton. Shelton is 15 min drive from Bridgeport which has train station downtown. Fairfield has two large stations plus, schools are good, 500k-600k can get you started house in Fairfield or Trumbull.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:30 AM

Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield is another option but commute is rough They are about 35 miles from Stamford and 45 miles from White Plains.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:23 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,127 times
Sorry you're going through this. I think you need a heart to heart with hubby about what he wants and what is possible. That commute would be a drain on you that you don't want. I think he needs to consider Stamford or Norwalk...if might turn out to be a pleasant surprise. The school system is likely better than Shelton also. Don't forget that while your taxes and home prices will be lower, you won't have the services you are used to. And you'll be doing a lot more driving which wouldn't be cheap. Just a few things to consider.

Good luck. Things happen for a reason and they will eventually get better.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:30 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,595 times
I would rather commute from New Fairfield to White Plains, than from Shelton to WP. I don't have an opinion on the Stamford commute though.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:34 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,187 times
West Side of New Fairfield (i.e. the side of town which borders NY) to White Plains = 40/45 minutes -- it's a straight shot down 684; West Side of New Fairfield - Stamford is rougher. I do that commute and it takes me 55 minutes and is combination of taking 684 to Bedford (Exit 4) and then back roads through Bedford down to Stamford.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Sorry you're going through this. I think you need a heart to heart with hubby about what he wants and what is possible. That commute would be a drain on you that you don't want. I think he needs to consider Stamford or Norwalk...if might turn out to be a pleasant surprise. The school system is likely better than Shelton also. Don't forget that while your taxes and home prices will be lower, you won't have the services you are used to. And you'll be doing a lot more driving which wouldn't be cheap. Just a few things to consider.

Good luck. Things happen for a reason and they will eventually get better.

Stamford: North Stamford, Glenbrook, Springdale, Westover

Norwalk: East Norwalk, Rowayton, Cranbury

Old 01-29-2016, 11:35 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,727 times
Is it possible to have your husband work from home a few days a week? My late husband did that commute to Stamford for a few years, and that was from Seymour, so Shelton would be a little better. He worked a flex schedule, so to avoid the traffic he left the house at 5:45 am and then leave the office in the afternoon at 3:30, basically working 7:00 - 3:30 the days he went in.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,840 times
Shelton schools aren't that great, and that's a tough trip to White Plains. Have you looked at Wilton at all? There are options for 600k, and it's an OK commute to both Stamford and White Plains.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,426,122 times
Danbury and Bethel area swould be much easier getting to White Plains than from Shelton. Newtown has many newer homes, but would be a longer commute and kind of in the opposite direction, but may work for the right home. Ridgefield could maybe work, but the housing inventory is older but well maintained and updated over the years. The Danbury It's a straight shot down I-684. It is never as congested as the I-95 and Merrit Parkway options in Lower Fairfield County. There is no direct expressway from Danbury to Stamford, but there are several back road options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut