Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:41 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Been driving consistently RT 8 for almost 12 months. I leave around 6AM not too bad. I mean it's congested it's CT. On my way home from work at 330P there is traffic that clears after 5.

In the morning around 7a on my way back to Naugatuck can see congestion Southbound. Say starts around 8A ends at 9/930A. Sometimes backed up from the Bridge to Seymour adds on 10 to 30 minutes sometimes. Add in weather could add on another 10 to an hour depending how bad the weather is.

My angst with RT 8 by the Bridge area it dips and few drains so a few things happen pooling water, ice, and being splashed. Being splashed is thus blinding wave if your in the right lane going Southbound. Other issue is the on ramps they are short and abrupt. Add in the lane changes at the Bridge it's a night mare.

Depending how far you are going after the Bridge they are doing construction Northbound where your funneled into these tight lanes with Jersey Barriers each side, it's a pain during rush hour.

If you go past Seymour over the second bridge very windy section.

Other issue is speed limit. Speed is 55. However, people go from 40 to 120 it's scary. You can get stuck behind people going very slow or get tailgated by someone going super fast. I travel in the morning in the right lane going 70 passing cars on the left and I am tailgated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 07:05 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
What time are they going? I do the reverse fortunately but see around the Seymour/Ansonia line it can be super slow. But if the person is going before 8:00, they'll be good.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:10 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Been driving consistently RT 8 for almost 12 months. I leave around 6AM not too bad. I mean it's congested it's CT. On my way home from work at 330P there is traffic that clears after 5.

In the morning around 7a on my way back to Naugatuck can see congestion Southbound. Say starts around 8A ends at 9/930A. Sometimes backed up from the Bridge to Seymour adds on 10 to 30 minutes sometimes. Add in weather could add on another 10 to an hour depending how bad the weather is.

My angst with RT 8 by the Bridge area it dips and few drains so a few things happen pooling water, ice, and being splashed. Being splashed is thus blinding wave if your in the right lane going Southbound. Other issue is the on ramps they are short and abrupt. Add in the lane changes at the Bridge it's a night mare.

Depending how far you are going after the Bridge they are doing construction Northbound where your funneled into these tight lanes with Jersey Barriers each side, it's a pain during rush hour.

If you go past Seymour over the second bridge very windy section.

Other issue is speed limit. Speed is 55. However, people go from 40 to 120 it's scary. You can get stuck behind people going very slow or get tailgated by someone going super fast. I travel in the morning in the right lane going 70 passing cars on the left and I am tailgated.
120mph?

Old 02-04-2016, 07:50 AM

Trust me I have seen it it's rare. You see more people flying by you at 100mph. Because I sometimes travel 80 in the right and they use the left passing lane on a clear day they are flying by.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times
Quote:
Trust me I have seen it it's rare. You see more people flying by you at 100mph. Because I sometimes travel 80 in the right and they use the left passing lane on a clear day they are flying by.
Yup! This! And there's almost never any troopers on 8 to catch them. Often the same self entitled drivers will dangerously use the slow truck lane between 12 & 13 as a high speed passing lane. Huge NO NO!! Very very dangerous. Just bad news.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 AM

That's normal in CT ha. Everywhere I driven the third slow truck lane if there is traffic it is the bypass lane for traffic. Yep right before the bridge there is that third lane it's done a lot. Kind of annoying. Sometimes you'll see people driving to past traffic in the emergency lane, but again rare and off topic ha.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:41 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Maybe 90, or pushing 100 on occasion, but I highly doubt you've ever see someone passing you at 120 mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut