Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:04 AM

16 posts, read 27,645 times

Advertisements

Hello again city-data,

I moved to CT beginning of last year and my lease is about to end, I moved from a capital city of Ukraine to Hamden, CTSince then I've been trying to resist becoming a rural type of a guy by going out somewhere, visiting NY, DC, BOS etc. but now, I realise that the only option for me is to move, the problem is I'm tied to my employer which is located in naugatuck, CT. I checked with my boss, and he's fine if I work remotely part of the week and visit office maybe 3-4 times a week, I'm thinking about moving to a more city-like area and now considering South Norwalk close to railway station, but since I've limited experience with CT I'd like to get feedback from locals.

I'm looking for:

1. A place which will be close to subway station.
2. A place, where I will be able to walk in the evening, maybe visit a bar or two without calling a cab
3. A place, which will be around 40-45 mins to Naugatuck, CT.

Any ideas? What do you think about Norwalk? Any other places like Norwalk, but closer to Naugatuck, but not as rural as Hamden or New Haven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:00 AM

720 posts, read 919,775 times
New Have or Stamford maybe Milford if you want a city feel. Otherwise nothing else in CT.
There are many Ukrainian events around New Britain and Hartford. I have a good number of friends from UA.
Nothing will compare to Kiev around here other then NYC.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:10 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
New Haven

Old 02-02-2016, 11:11 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Not as rural as Hamden or New Haven? Hamden is a pretty densely populated suburb and New Haven is a small city. I would think your only choice would be NYC if New Haven is too rural for you. Hartford has a downtown with more tall buildings than New Haven, but not as much going on there after the close of business.

Waterbury is a small city and close to Naugatuck.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Uh... New Haven is a lot more urban than Norwalk. It is one of the largest cities in Connecticut. Not sure why you would say this unless you do not know New Haven very well.

I would not move to Norwalk. Apartments there are expensive. Why pay more for rent and live further from your job. I would recommend living in downtown New Haven. There are a lot of bars and restaurants (more than South Norwalk), buses and trains (metro area buses going all over the region as well as Metro North trains into New York) and a lot of nice apartments at lower rents than Norwalk. You will be about 17 miles or a 30 minute drive from your job in Naugatuck as opposed to being 40 miles and an hour drive from Norwalk. It would be a much better place for you to consider if you want a more urban area than Hamden. Jay

Old 02-02-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Not as rural as Hamden or New Haven? Hamden is a pretty densely populated suburb and New Haven is a small city. I would think your only choice would be NYC if New Haven is too rural for you. Hartford has a downtown with more tall buildings than New Haven, but not as much going on there after the close of business.

Waterbury is a small city and close to Naugatuck.
Hello,

I agree that Hartford and Waterbury look more like cities, but honestly, it seems to me that those areas a a bit depressed. There are some places in Waterbury where I wouldn't want to go in my worst nightmares, once I tried to buy a bottle of water in a random shop in Waterbury and during 5 mins in a queue I saw a freak, an alcoholic and a narc, at the end, cashier high on smth. with a red face tried to give me random change. Maybe my impression is wrong and Hartford and Waterbury are nice cities to live in?

Old 02-02-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
New Have or Stamford maybe Milford if you want a city feel. Otherwise nothing else in CT.
There are many Ukrainian events around New Britain and Hartford. I have a good number of friends from UA.
Nothing will compare to Kiev around here other then NYC.
I used to live in Milford for 2 months when I arrived, I like Milford's vibe, but it didn't look like a city for me, maybe I should look closer? Can you recommend a district there? Also, can you give me more details on the events you mentioned?

Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Downtown New Haven is the no brainer, will give you the biggest city feel in the state and you should enjoy the vibe, and next to Waterbury will be the closest to Naugatuck. Norwalk will probably start to feel like Milford to you after a while.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:41 PM

720 posts, read 919,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin3t View Post
I used to live in Milford for 2 months when I arrived, I like Milford's vibe, but it didn't look like a city for me, maybe I should look closer? Can you recommend a district there? Also, can you give me more details on the events you mentioned?

Milford has a vibrant scene.. places like
Stonebridge Restaurant are very nice during the summer nights. If you want check out Hartford as well.

Ukrainian Events:

St Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church, Hartford CT - Home
Welcome to Bobriwka!
"POLUKI" Festival - Facebook
Hosted at Polanka/Falcon Field 721 Farmington Ave New Britain, CT 06053 (Usually end of summer)
Connecticut Ukrainian Day Festival / Ukrainian Festival in Stamford, CT
Rentals -Ukrainian National Home of Hartford - (this place use to throw great parties a few times a year)

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukra...al-358121.html

Old 02-02-2016, 02:05 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin3t View Post
Hello,

I agree that Hartford and Waterbury look more like cities, but honestly, it seems to me that those areas a a bit depressed. There are some places in Waterbury where I wouldn't want to go in my worst nightmares, once I tried to buy a bottle of water in a random shop in Waterbury and during 5 mins in a queue I saw a freak, an alcoholic and a narc, at the end, cashier high on smth. with a red face tried to give me random change. Maybe my impression is wrong and Hartford and Waterbury are nice cities to live in?
Hartford depressed? It is the center of the state's largest metropolitan area with more than 1.4 million people. The City of Hartford is the state's largest employment center with more than 114,000 people working there. And that does not include the thousands of jobs in adjacent towns like West Hartford, East Hartford, Windsor, Bloomfield, Wethersfield and Newington. Just like EVERY city it has its good areas and its bad. Same goes for New Haven and Waterbury. And the last time I was there, I saw MANY very strange people in Boston and New York so you are not going to escape that.

You have to understand something, the US is not a truly urban society like you find in Europe. Americans love their cars and their space. They have a very strong desire to own their own little piece of the country rather than share it with thousands of others. More people live in the suburbs and rural areas than in our cities. You have to go to really large cities like New York or Boston or Philadelphia or Chicago or San Francisco to get the type of living environment you seem to be looking for. To me big cities like these mean big problems. More people, more congestion, more noise, more pollution and a lot more aggravations living your every day life. So your choice is to accept living in smaller cities like New Haven or Hartford or quit your job and move to a city that gives you the environment you seem to desire. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut