Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:19 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessly View Post
I love that the same people who are all "WTF these blacks are racist and just trying to segregate themselves!!" are 99% of the time the exact same people who probably think that black people *choose* to live in ghettos and see no problem with Chinatowns et al.
Plenty of people do see a problem with 'Chinatowns et al' and most black people actually live in non-ghetto suburban areas. Its not nice to project to others your issues.

Quote:
I think this is a cool idea.
Of course you do.

Quote:
As has been said - the idea of creating a small community for minority groups (women engineers, latina sororities, etc.) is not novel nor racist.
For many years the USA, South Africa, Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, etc tried to do just that. The issue with that plan arosed when people such as these two came to the scene and said something about it.

Quote:
And for the blacks-only restrooms a couple of you people seem to be implying, let's not forget that we *do* have gender-neutral bathrooms in a lot of progressive college campuses.

http://chronicle.com/blognetwork/ten...red-only11.jpg

http://www.amistadresource.org/LBima...redwaiting.jpg

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/intro...?cb=1398619098

But hey, lets look at the bright side! At least the new photos will be in high definition and in color. Yay!

Quote:
Sometimes I think we forget that Connecticut is a cesspool of white people who think racism doesn't exist (for example: all of the posts in this topic), and it's not very hard to feel like an "other" if you don't fit into that.
LOL

What makes you think everyone that complained about this in this thread is white? Like I previously said, stop projecting your own issues.

Also, discounting the opinions of many people based on their perceived race is in itself a racist act. Change white for anything else in your 'cesspool of white people' comment and see if it goes down well. It will not because, alas, it's racist and only racist people can ever say such a thing and think that its right!

Old 02-04-2016, 07:20 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think the bigger question here is, does this help the issue of race relations in our country? If we can't confidently answer yes (which I don't believe we can), then it's a bad idea. It creates unneeded controversy, exclusion, and damages everything student alliance groups have fought, and are still fighting to, achieve.

You bring up Greeks, athletes, honors, etc. We don't currently have controversy surrounding that nationwide. Honors students weren't rioting in Baltimore and Greeks aren't marching chanting that their lives matter. You're trying to equate them with race, but you can't. It's an entirely different situation, especially in 2016 when innocent police officers are being ambushed and executed because the murderers feel the badge represents racism and segregation. I'll say it again, we need to rid ourselves of this us versus them mentality in every sense, and begin realizing were all exactly the same. The topic we're discussing does just the opposite.

I agree with the first paragraph and while the "us vs them" mentality needs to stop, it must also be acknowledged that innate racism and race-driven fear still exist....or at least admit some police officers aren't worthy of the badge, should have been more properly screened, and need better training and mental health evaluations throughout their career. If police can spend weeks trying to talk down some crazy gun waving and threatening white militia members living in fantasy land out west, they certainly can evaluate a twelve year old black child with a BB gun before shooting. I don't think race based dormitories are the answer (as a white mom with a black son, why would I?), but neither is denying xenophobic behavior - even among people who don't mean to be xenophobic.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:59 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Please return to the topic of the OP which is the proposed African American dorm at UConn. Thank you, JayCT, Moderator

Old 02-04-2016, 10:02 AM

505 posts, read 428,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think the bigger question here is, does this help the issue of race relations in our country? If we can't confidently answer yes (which I don't believe we can), then it's a bad idea. It creates unneeded controversy, exclusion, and damages everything student alliance groups have fought, and are still fighting to, achieve.

You bring up Greeks, athletes, honors, etc. We don't currently have controversy surrounding that nationwide. Honors students weren't rioting in Baltimore and Greeks aren't marching chanting that their lives matter. You're trying to equate them with race, but you can't. It's an entirely different situation, especially in 2016 when innocent police officers are being ambushed and executed because the murderers feel the badge represents racism and segregation. I'll say it again, we need to rid ourselves of this us versus them mentality in every sense, and begin realizing were all exactly the same. The topic we're discussing does just the opposite.

Nothing you can really do about it. Blacks are as free as they can get and have numerous social welfare programs to help them. MLK doesn't speak for all of them and if there are significant numbers who don't want to integrate they why force them to? It only increases resentment and hostility.

If they feel they can't and won't ever get a "fair" chance in the U.S among "white society" let them go their own way.

But the CT taxpayers should not be subsidizing it.

If the UCONN students want such an arrangement they should be charged an extra fee.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:38 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
Nothing you can really do about it. Blacks are as free as they can get and have numerous social welfare programs to help them.
Social welfare programs help the poor-- of any race.

When you state things in this manner-- whether intentionally or not-- it sounds as if you automatically associate Blacks with social welfare. There are those who DO think this way and it certainly doesn't help race relations.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:39 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
The thing is, the more people who are different are around each other, the more they see their commonalities. All black dorms, all white fraternities, separate people. When we're not together we see differences, not commonalities.

We are a single society that must live in communities together. That's a lot easier if we focus on what we have in common.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The thing is, the more people who are different are around each other, the more they see their commonalities. All black dorms, all white fraternities, separate people. When we're not together we see differences, not commonalities.

We are a single society that must live in communities together. That's a lot easier if we focus on what we have in common.
Thank you.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Social welfare programs help the poor-- of any race.

When you state things in this manner-- whether intentionally or not-- it sounds as if you automatically associate Blacks with social welfare. There are those who DO think this way and it certainly doesn't help race relations.
I'm talking about affirmative action and all governments programs based upon race.

There is NO easy way to talk about race relations. We have to be upfront about it and discuss all of the ramifications.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
I'm talking about affirmative action and all governments programs based upon race.

There is NO easy way to talk about race relations. We have to be upfront about it and discuss all of the ramifications.
But when you assume black people have the world at their feet because of government programs, you come across as bitter and arrogant enough to believe that you know one's situation better than them.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:

What do you base that on? That sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.

Blacks have been around whites for decades in the U.S. and many still want to remain separate.

Many black interactions around whites have been negative and news stories are filled with blacks continuously complaining about treatment or perceived treatment in "white areas".

There are black schools, churches, businesses, political organizations all built up around the premise of their individuality and separate culture.

It hasn't changed by now and it isn't going to. But it they are bothering nobody then leave them alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: