U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 10:33 PM

13,208 posts, read 12,202,905 times

Advertisements

What your reaction to this ?

BRIDGEPORT — No extra security is planned for Mayor Joseph Ganim after city activist Tony Barr, three months after he lost the mayoral race to Ganim, threatened to “blow the mayor’s head off,” police said.
Barr, 51, was charged Thursday with threatening and disorderly conduct, misdemeanors. He was released after posting $25,000 bond. He could not be reached for comment.
“I believe we have more than adequate security in place to protect the mayor,” said police Capt. Armando Perez. “Of course this incident is concerning to me. I know Tony Barr and I had hoped, after his criminal history, he had turned the corner on his life. But the mayor doesn’t feel threatened by Mr. Barr, and we will now let the court take care of it.”
A petitioning candidate for mayor, Barr became an outspoken city activist after serving 20 years in prison.
In 1991, a federal jury found Barr guilty of taking part is a drug distribution ring in the city. During the trial, police testified that Barr, an enforcer for the ring, pointed a loaded semi-automatic handgun at an undercover officer.
Police said Barr came into the government center building shortly after 3 p.m. on Thursday and demanded to see the mayor. A female security guard would not let him go farther than the front desk, but allowed Barr to call the mayor’s office from her telephone.

Police said Barr then began to yell at the mayor’s receptionist, saying “I want to talk to the (expletive) mayor now. ... I’m going to shoot the (expletive) mayor. I’m going to blow the mayor’s head off.”
Police arrived at the scene and arrested Barr.
“It was really scary,” said a local resident who requested to remain anonymous and was sitting with his girlfriend in the Margaret Morton Center Thursday afternoon when Barr came in.
“There was this big guy, and he was yelling he was going to get the mayor. We thought he had a gun,” the witness said Friday. “He was really angry and he was going to get in. I thought he was going to attack the police officer.”

Former candidate accused of threatening mayor - Connecticut Post
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 01:21 AM

854 posts, read 1,153,559 times
Was that the guy who shot out a window in the state courthouse last week? Mr. Barr needs to calm down.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:43 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,264,397 times
Where's Jasper McLevy when you need him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: