Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 08:10 AM

503 posts, read 526,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blargrifth View Post
Has anyone else gotten bad impressions from suburban police compared to urban police? I have found cops in Trumbull and Monroe to be hostile or having this feeling of superiority with those who they interact with. Whereas my interactions with Bridgeport police have been friendlier or at the worst indifferent. The assumption that I always made was that Trumbull/Monroe cops don't have enough to do so they are looking harder to find or even create problems.
Ever heard of the "hygiene hypothesis"? It's a theory for the exploding rate of allergy and autoimmune disorders that states we've caused it ourselves by being too sanitary and using too many antibiotics. That without enough exposure to actual "bad guys", our immune system lashes out at anything it sees, losing the ability to distinguish between friend, foe and minor allergens. Seems like a good analogy for your police observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 08:17 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,604,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
I believe it is important that police officers should be required to live in the town or city in which they work. When the people you are dealing with on an everyday basis are your neighbors rather than strangers you tend to treat them more respectfully.
Agreed though requiring it is tough because better opportunities may come along then realistically...can a police officer afford to live in Greenwich or Darien? The same could be said with teachers too...not a slam on you and I come from high school teachers who lived in another town to escape living in a fishbowl...but I've seen more teachers stay in their work place community lately which is positive. I don't so much see it Waterbury though...I actually see several Waterbury public school teachers who send their kids to private schools which is disingenuous to me but that's another thread.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:20 AM

21,545 posts, read 30,960,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Agreed though requiring it is tough because better opportunities may come along then realistically...can a police officer afford to live in Greenwich or Darien? The same could be said with teachers too...not a slam on you and I come from high school teachers who lived in another town to escape living in a fishbowl...but I've seen more teachers stay in their work place community lately which is positive. I don't so much see it Waterbury though...I actually see several Waterbury public school teachers who send their kids to private schools which is disingenuous to me but that's another thread.
Agree. In theory it's a positive to have officers live in their community. But even if an officer busts his/her behind to work overtime and make $90-100k a year, they still can't afford a home in lower Fairfield County (unless an incredibly successful spouse is in the picture).

Old 03-31-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I would like to see the police do two things in dealing with the community.

One is more foot patrols. I live on the shore in a town with large marinas, typical of much of the shoreline. Most of the crime in these towns is property related & boat equipment is a huge target. Can't see how it wouldn't hurt to have the police wandering around on foot through the marinas.

A big shoreline target for thieves is the outlet malls in Clinton & Westbrook. Shoplifting gangs from out of state thrive there. Again foot patrol policing might help ??

The second thing I think the police could do is to have lots of training in dealing with the mentally ill.
Figuring out how to approach these situations can sure be trying for a police officer. Most departments have at least one person skilled in this. However, frequently by the time that person gets there the whole scenario has gone south into a mess.

I do agree with others that CT has excellent police forces as compared to the most of the rest of the country. Very well trained, well educated and professional.
I can't rep this comment enough. Most police officers I've spoken to are very aware that mentally ill people have NOWHERE to go and are now on the streets. Still, some way of dealing with it is necessary if we aren't going to provide services and shelter for the mentally ill. I get shooting a schizophrenic who threatened you with a knife or fists...but it shouldn't happen. Milwaukee had this very incident and some police departments commented that they've already gone back to police working in pairs for this sort of thing.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I can't rep this comment enough. Most police officers I've spoken to are very aware that mentally ill people have NOWHERE to go and are now on the streets. Still, some way of dealing with it is necessary if we aren't going to provide services and shelter for the mentally ill. I get shooting a schizophrenic who threatened you with a knife or fists...but it shouldn't happen. Milwaukee had this very incident and some police departments commented that they've already gone back to police working in pairs for this sort of thing.
In my opinion it begins with access to better mental health programs offered by the state. The "24 hour psychiatric hold" in hospitals is a disadvantage for everyone.

I think both cops and teachers could benefit from more training in dealing with people who suffer from mental illness. It does begin with the medical field and state programs, though. Teachers and cops need options. If they don't have options, their ability to properly deal with them will be limited.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In my opinion it begins with access to better mental health programs offered by the state. The "24 hour psychiatric hold" in hospitals is a disadvantage for everyone.

I think both cops and teachers could benefit from more training in dealing with people who suffer from mental illness. It does begin with the medical field and state programs, though. Teachers and cops need options. If they don't have options, their ability to properly deal with them will be limited.
Oh, I get it. And it's sad that teachers and especially cops even have to be the front line for this. Teachers at least are in the position to notice if something is going wrong whereas police are not and are usually dealing with an ill person when things are out of control.

CT has CVH in Middletown which is a fascinating place in terms of services provided, architecture, and that it's a visual history of how the mentally ill were once treated (both pros and horrifying cons). Yet, even they are being scaled back further while the need for these services increase. I always found it ironic also that a massive school shooting by a crazy person was committed in Newtown where an exceptional facility (Fairfield Hills) once serviced various levels of psychiatric disorders but then closed by Governor Rowland leaving patients/residents to the streets or vulnerable nursing homes. We really need to bring those facilities back and then some.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Oh, I get it. And it's sad that teachers and especially cops even have to be the front line for this. Teachers at least are in the position to notice if something is going wrong whereas police are not and are usually dealing with an ill person when things are out of control.

CT has CVH in Middletown which is a fascinating place in terms of services provided, architecture, and that it's a visual history of how the mentally ill were once treated (pros and horrifying cons). Yet, even they are being scaled back further while the need for these services increase. I always found it ironic also that a massive school shooting by a crazy person was committed in Newtown where an exceptional facility (Fairfield Hills) once serviced various levels of psychiatric disorders but then closed by Governor Rowland leaving patients/residents to the streets or vulnerable nursing homes. We really need to bring those facilities back and then some.
Yes, especially to your last sentence. I can't rep you again for it. Unfortunately, it looks like medical funding will be slashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut