Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 18,818 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm stuck! We're moving out of Manhattan and can't decide between Rye, NY or Westport, CT.

I commute to Midtown (walkable from Grand Central) every day and can't work out how much of a pain doing that every day from Westport would be.

Are there any helpful posters here that do it who can give me the honest truth:

How is a daily commute to GC from Westport?

I work steady hours - 9 til 5.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 06:27 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRowe1 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm stuck! We're moving out of Manhattan and can't decide between Rye, NY or Westport, CT.

I commute to Midtown (walkable from Grand Central) every day and can't work out how much of a pain doing that every day from Westport would be.

THANKS!

Welcome to Connecticut

Westport is affluent shoreline town located in Fairfield County one of wealthiest areas. Westport is about 54 miles from Midtown, Manhattan. Westport and Rye are two pricey towns are you looking to rent or buy a house Rye would be easier commute than Westport .

What your budget ?

Last edited by BPt111; 02-18-2016 at 06:40 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 07:06 AM

785 posts, read 823,318 times
Replied to your topic on the NY board..

From the Hunt Club area it takes me about 8 min to drive to the Greens Farms station. I drop my wife off and head over to my job. There's also a shuttle that people use. Its $1.50 and they'll drop you off in front of your street or home (if its on a major road like compo or sturges). I do not believe Rye offers this.

My wife doesn't mind the commute. She sleeps or reads on the train. Its really not that bad. For an extra 20-25 min, saving 500-600k (tax payments) over the life span of a loan is a no-brainer.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:23 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
You can check train travel times at rush hour on the MTA website.

It's not a drastically different commute but it's a bit longer. Your distance to train from either town could throw that.

The big difference is Westport taxes are drastically lower.

Why aren't you looking at Darien and Greenwich too if commute time is a concern?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:48 AM

785 posts, read 823,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

It's not a drastically different commute but it's a bit longer. Your distance to train from either town could throw that.

Why aren't you looking at Darien and Greenwich too if commute time is a concern?
Agreed. I believe he said he's budget is 1-1.5m, which can be found in Darien. Greenwich too, but it'll be a lot less sft or will need work.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:12 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Agreed. I believe he said he's budget is 1-1.5m, which can be found in Darien. Greenwich too, but it'll be a lot less sft or will need work.
Would throw New Canaan in the mix as well with that budget.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

There are trains from Rye to Grand Central that take only 40 minutes. The train from Westport takes about 65 minutes. That is a 25 minute difference. There are trains from Greenwich that are only 44 minutes so it could be a more reasonable option. Darien trains are about 60 minutes so only a bit better than Westport. It is up to the OP if the extra ride is worth it or not. Jay

Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM

258 posts, read 456,596 times
The commute is definitely going to be longer from Westport than Rye, but in Rye you're looking at five figure property taxes whereas in Westport it'll be drastically lower. As great as Westchester County is, I would choose Westport based on that alone. Westport kind of 'feels' like a lower Westchester town if you still want that New York feel, a lot of former NYers and Manhattan commuters live in Westport.

People commute to the city daily from as far out as Milford which is about a 100 minute ride, so it's not unheard of either. I think it's maybe an hour train ride from Westport.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Fairfield is generally the furthest town out that many people view as an "acceptable" NYC commute. I, personally, wouldn't live anywhere further than Stamford. And even that is pushing it, IMO. I'm not a fan of long commutes.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:23 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRowe1 View Post
Hi guys,

THANKS!
Last I heard the wait for Westport train parking was 5-7 years. Could be less now, not sure. If you must, look for homes in the Saugatuck section of town that may be walkable to the station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut