Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
After three interviews that led to no offers here in Columbus, I have now landed an interview with a company in Middletown, CT. I already had a phone interview yesterday and the company and role sounded like a potentially great match for what I'm looking for and what they're looking for. They liked me over the phone, so they're inviting me to a real interview late next week, in which I will be covering my own travel expenses.

However, the job is a manager level position, but they said that it could be modified down to a senior staff level position. Even with 8 years of experience, I have always only been at a staff level. So I don't know how on earth they think I can skip senior level and go directly from staff to manager, but whatever. Is it normal to feel like I cannot handle being a manager? It just seems strange, because I actually meet 100% of their qualifications they are looking for, and they think I could be a good fit. Has anyone been in this position before?

The company is also very young (half of the workforce is under 35), has great work/life balance and a casual culture.

The company, however, does not seem to have a covered parking garage, full-service cafeteria, on-site security or professionally landscaped grounds, but I'll deal with it.

Anyway, I am especially excited that the job is located in Middletown, which is an easily commutable, centralized location, within a good radius of many cities and towns to commute from.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...what was the over/under for Columbus 6 months?

Old 02-28-2016, 09:02 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
...The company, however, does not seem to have a covered parking garage, full-service cafeteria, on-site security or professionally landscaped grounds, but I'll deal with it.
Ditch them. Actually, hold it -- do they offer the 8 weeks vacation, and 35-hour work-week?

Old 02-28-2016, 09:03 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Ditch them. Actually, hold it -- do they offer the 8 weeks vacation, and 35-hour work-week?

can't rep you, so

Old 02-28-2016, 09:07 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Nep, next thing, -- as you leave Route 66 and get onto 91, there is a sign there for NYC, which has gotta be another deal-breaker. And the worst? Soccer moms driving minivans, if you can believe it...

Old 02-28-2016, 09:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I made mine, as all should, on a Saturday, living a week w/o cable.
I would have made the appointment for a Saturday, but all of those time slots were BOOKED for weeks. I'm sorry, but I cannot go for that long without cable. That's just me.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:42 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I will be satisfied if they give at least 3 weeks of PTO. I am sorry, but that is not too much to ask for. 4 weeks would be ideal.

And it is a 40 hour work week (sometimes up to 45). I'm fine with that.

People in these forums seem to think it's desirable thing to work 50+ hour work weeks. Sitting in a chair for 10 hours a day is harmful to your health, spine, metabolism and many other things. I have better things to do.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:57 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
We had a small Bridgeport office-- Main operations were always in Hartford County. Now we're in Hartford County and have much smaller offices in Boston and Chicago.

We went from a 1250 square foot condo to a 3000 square foot house and from no land to 2 acres. I miss the area I grew up, but it's only an hour away and we're t here weekly.
As long you not in FFC you are fine prices are bit lower. People are nicer in Middletown area

Last edited by BPt111; 02-28-2016 at 10:28 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 11:21 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Quote:
I will be satisfied if they give at least 3 weeks of PTO. I am sorry, but that is not too much to ask for. 4 weeks would be ideal.

And it is a 40 hour work week (sometimes up to 45). I'm fine with that.

People in these forums seem to think it's desirable thing to work 50+ hour work weeks. Sitting in a chair for 10 hours a day is harmful to your health, spine, metabolism and many other things. I have better things to do.
Just don't say any of this while you're interviewing..... Even if the environment is more flexible with time off and work hours, a hiring manager will run if they get the sense you're going to be "that" employee who watches the clock every day or is demanding about PTO.

We all have "better things to do" and very few people WANT to work 50+ hour weeks.... we do it for job stability, career growth, or even personal satisfaction in finishing a project they're invested in. There's nothing wrong with only wanting a 40-45 hr work week but just keep in mind that if this job is more senior than you are used to, the expectations may be more than you are comfortable with. Just food for thought... be prepared to either adjust your expectations or walk away from a job that may make you unhappy later.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Just don't say any of this while you're interviewing..... Even if the environment is more flexible with time off and work hours, a hiring manager will run if they get the sense you're going to be "that" employee who watches the clock every day or is demanding about PTO.

Bingo.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 02-29-2016 at 04:16 AM..

Old 02-29-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post

We all have "better things to do" and very few people WANT to work 50+ hour weeks.... we do it for job stability, career growth, or even personal satisfaction in finishing a project they're invested in. There's nothing wrong with only wanting a 40-45 hr work week but just keep in mind that if this job is more senior than you are used to, the expectations may be more than you are comfortable with. Just food for thought... be prepared to either adjust your expectations or walk away from a job that may make you unhappy later.

Very well stated. I do suspect the expectations are going to be more than the OP would choose to handle, and if that is the case, getting the job in that instance would be a disaster. But if the OP ever wants to get past staff level, ditching the blue collar "I punch out after 8 hrs sharp" attitude is a prereq. If the OP gets an offer, this is likely a sharp dividing line in the sand where he will have to decide what his priorities are. Managers are expected to set the bar for being responsible and displaying a "go getter work ethic".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut