Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 06:49 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If they did drop, that's a great value and will surely bounce back.
Agreed. I think we're all on the same page when it comes to Newtown's desirability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 07:43 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
I would say not a good buy at the moment. Compared to the similar towns, it's getting blown away. Only 13% of homes on the market are contract for sale, well below the county average. Significantly more homes on the market as well.
Personal anecdote, it took us nearly a year to sell a home in Newtown and at a loss (home was in excellent move in condition and priced in-line or below comps), sale closing occurred several months prior to the tragedy.
Consult an unbiased realtor in the area, a town specific one may try to paint a rosy picture.

On Market Contract $
Trumbull 180 41 23%
Shelton 189 41 22%
Monroe 112 23 21%
Newtown 239 31 13%

Old 02-29-2016, 12:44 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Newtown is a great town but lets be frank...the tragedy had a profound effect on the town and the general area surrounding it. The surrounding towns aren't suffering from lower RE values because it doesn't have that "stigma", but Newtown does and specifically any house with a Sandy Hook address.

When someone from CT drives near Newtown, they think about it. When someone from a surrounding town drives through Sandy Hook, they think about it. When someone from Newtown drives by the Sandy Hook firehouse/Dickenson drive, they think about it. The stigma is there and it's going to take awhile to ease, maybe never... it's a sad thing and I still get sad thinking about it... and I live 30 minutes away

However, stigma or not, Newtown is probably one of the best places to raise a family in the entire state.... always loved the town. As someone said, people now love it even more...

Old 02-29-2016, 01:26 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Newtown is a great town but lets be frank...the tragedy had a profound effect on the town and the general area surrounding it. The surrounding towns aren't suffering from lower RE values because it doesn't have that "stigma", but Newtown does and specifically any house with a Sandy Hook address.

When someone from CT drives near Newtown, they think about it. When someone from a surrounding town drives through Sandy Hook, they think about it. When someone from Newtown drives by the Sandy Hook firehouse/Dickenson drive, they think about it. The stigma is there and it's going to take awhile to ease, maybe never... it's a sad thing and I still get sad thinking about it... and I live 30 minutes away

However, stigma or not, Newtown is probably one of the best places to raise a family in the entire state.... always loved the town. As someone said, people now love it even more...

I agree. I've always loved it as well, and I still do, and if prices there are down compared to surrounding towns, then it might be a very good time to buy. But for me at least, there is a sadness about it now... It doesn't change any of its great qualities though, and there are many -- the town really does have so much to offer. For me though its just this lingering unspeakable sadness, and as stupid as it may sound, that exit sign on 84 -- the big/bold letters - "Sandy Hook / Newtown" for some reason gets me every time. I would imagine Columbine experienced something similar in the late 90s/early 00s.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:38 PM

678 posts, read 847,077 times
Property value is a bit down in Newtown, and especially in Sandy Hook from what I remember last year, however, I've been told that it has a chance of increasing once the new elementary school will open. It's supposed to be state of the art and I'm sure that'll attract new and young families to the area over time.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Property value is a bit down in Newtown, and especially in Sandy Hook from what I remember last year, however, I've been told that it has a chance of increasing once the new elementary school will open. It's supposed to be state of the art and I'm sure that'll attract new and young families to the area over time.
True. Part of it could be parents don't want to send their kids to an elementary school out of town (Sandy Hook is temporarily in a neighboring town).

Old 03-01-2016, 07:38 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
For me though its just this lingering unspeakable sadness, and as stupid as it may sound, that exit sign on 84 -- the big/bold letters - "Sandy Hook / Newtown" for some reason gets me every time. I would imagine Columbine experienced something similar in the late 90s/early 00s.
Yeah... not only Newtown but it had a ripple affect for all towns in a 20 or so mile radius... from Stratford to Naugatuck... seems like everyone knew someone who was affected.

Difference though is Naugatuck's house prices aren't associated with Newtown so I can see why the OP is nervous...

Old 03-01-2016, 11:34 AM

121 posts, read 125,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I would say not a good buy at the moment. Compared to the similar towns, it's getting blown away. Only 13% of homes on the market are contract for sale, well below the county average. Significantly more homes on the market as well.
Personal anecdote, it took us nearly a year to sell a home in Newtown and at a loss (home was in excellent move in condition and priced in-line or below comps), sale closing occurred several months prior to the tragedy.
Consult an unbiased realtor in the area, a town specific one may try to paint a rosy picture.

On Market Contract $
Trumbull 180 41 23%
Shelton 189 41 22%
Monroe 112 23 21%
Newtown 239 31 13%
Thanks, Raider. I would not say our realtor is town-specific. She's based in another town, actually, that we are considering as well as Newtown.

Any thoughts as to why the Newtown market is hurting right now. Interesting that you had trouble prior to the events there. Can you describe your house a little further? Age, square footage, bed/baths, etc? Thanks.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:45 AM

121 posts, read 125,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I agree. I've always loved it as well, and I still do, and if prices there are down compared to surrounding towns, then it might be a very good time to buy. But for me at least, there is a sadness about it now... It doesn't change any of its great qualities though, and there are many -- the town really does have so much to offer. For me though its just this lingering unspeakable sadness, and as stupid as it may sound, that exit sign on 84 -- the big/bold letters - "Sandy Hook / Newtown" for some reason gets me every time. I would imagine Columbine experienced something similar in the late 90s/early 00s.
I know exactly what you mean, Lalalally. And I wonder about moving there, how much more would I think about it?

But I think previous comments touch on a good point: everyone in a wide radius, if not the entire nation/world was hurt badly by what happened there. And with the daily violence in this country, it's like you can't escape it any more, no matter where you go.

I currently live in Northern Westchester county and in the last year or so, there have been really horrible, unsolved, disturbing murders. The socialite that was beaten to death in her own home in Somers. A murder just after Christmas in Katonah. Then there was that guy (Durst?) who lived in Katonah who was recently arrested for at least one murder, possibly several. Another one in Katonah: a mother and her children disappeared off the face of the planet from there in the 70s, still unsolved. I mean, you could go on and on these days.

So... I wonder about the effects of time and I tend to think that life does go on, as best it can. I guess what's hard to say is if Newtown was permanently affected by what happened, as some seem to feel (I got some private messages about this...)

On the hand, I kind of don't care. I think it has much to offer and I have friends there, have spent time there and it feels good. Maybe you'd just have to train yourself not to dwell too much. Maybe that's what we all have to do these days anyway, no matter where you are. Maybe this is the only we can take back from the Evil that has occurred, to not allow the memories to deter us. I always think of the Amish and how they carried on after the tragedy in their community a few years back.

Anyway... maybe we should end this thread. I have enough info and opinions now. In the event this thread is upsetting to anyone, probably better it gets pushed down now. Thank you, everyone.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:55 AM

I don't think the thread is upsetting to anyone. What happened was terrible, but you asked a completely legitimate question that I'm sure realtors have to answer very often. Anyhow, it's a great town and if there is any silver lining, it's that people in town have changed for the better. People there are very compassionate now - I've experienced it firsthand and noticed the difference. That's the type of environment I think is needed everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut