Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:06 PM

121 posts, read 125,950 times

Advertisements

Anyone else just disgusted with the overpriced RE game in Fairfield County. SO many homes - some nice, some not so nice - are overpriced and just sit and sit and sit.

This is the 2nd time in the last year that we've found a home that works for us... but when we run comps with our agent, it's very clear that the home is significantly overpriced, even though it's had several price drops already.

In both cases, homes have sat well over 200 days.

To make it even more frustrating, the one home we found a while back did recently sell (well under the list price which had been lowered significantly from original price) but it's pretty clear whoever purchased overpaid.

So I feel like there's several things at work in FFCty: agents who encourage sellers to overprice, in the hopes of finding dumb buyers who will overpay (as well as getting lots of free advertising for their services when they get the listing); people who are ill informed and don't have good agents and who overpay; and then of course, the cash buyers who pay whatever they want and skew the market.

Either way you slice it, it feels like this market is artificially inflated, skewed and gee, what happened last time we saw that situation in RE...?

It's frustrating for buyers and it slows/skews the market. Ugh.

Sellers want to know you're a 'serious buyer' but jeez, how about some serious sellers on the market???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 12:28 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I agree that there are homes that are overpriced in Fairfield County but you can say the same thing in just about every other county in this country as well. I disagree though that this is the agents fault. The owner sets the price. Remember if a home sits on the market longer than necessary the agent gets nothing out of it. They know old listings are dead listings and a home with a long time on the market is usually passed up because the buyer thinks something is wrong with it. I also think the reason this happens is that a number of sellers stand to lose money if they sell at today's prices so they set the price higher than the market can bear in hopes someone will make an offer. I also don't think the market is inflated. The prices that homes sell for are what the market can bear and because of Fairfield County's affluence, it can bear a lot. Sorry you are going through this but this has been going on for longer than I have been around. Good luck, Jay

Old 03-07-2016, 12:46 PM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Default That about sums it up

Preach it..all I can tell you is to stick to your guns and don't settle. Not sure where in FFC you are looking but I bought in Fairfield last year after almost 1 year of looking hard. The enemy of RE is time, that goes for buyers and sellers. If you are under the gun and need to move then be prepared to overpay. If you take time, 8 mos. or more, then sellers may be forced into reality. The people I bought from tried to sell for 175k more than their 2011 puchase price with only 35-40k improvements. They sold to me (after 10 mos. and 10 price cuts) only 20k more than they paid. They also needed to move as husband took another job. I also paid 15% below what someone paid in 2005. Guy up the street listed a month ago for 150k more than his 2005 purchase price even with no serious additions or remodels. Pure greed...he will not sell this spring. Find the house, motivated sellers, and good price but pounce quickly. We got outbid twice when prices got realistic. Realtors are useless and self interested and will try to back up any unrealistic price with "comps"...wink, wink. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:47 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Not sure why this is an issue. As Jay noted, its the seller's prerogative on pricing the house. If they are fine with the house sitting on the market for months, then so be it. There are plenty of motivated sellers out there who are pricing to sell.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:55 PM

39 posts, read 38,752 times
Yes, tons of overpriced houses but that's what you get anywhere. It's definitely not the agents fault, it's the sellers call so even if the house is appraised at $300k the owner has every right to list it at 500k...When we bought we went through this a few times. We found houses that were way overpriced. We went in with a fair market value based on comps and they laughed us away. The houses sat there for sometimes a year before they dropped to a reasonable price.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:55 PM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Preach it..all I can tell you is to stick to your guns and don't settle. Not sure where in FFC you are looking but I bought in Fairfield last year after almost 1 year of looking hard. The enemy of RE is time, that goes for buyers and sellers. If you are under the gun and need to move then be prepared to overpay. If you take time, 8 mos. or more, then sellers may be forced into reality. The people I bought from tried to sell for 175k more than their 2011 puchase price with only 35-40k improvements. They sold to me (after 10 mos. and 10 price cuts) only 20k more than they paid. They also needed to move as husband took another job. I also paid 15% below what someone paid in 2005. Guy up the street listed a month ago for 150k more than his 2005 purchase price even with no serious additions or remodels. Pure greed...he will not sell this spring. Find the house, motivated sellers, and good price but pounce quickly. We got outbid twice when prices got realistic. Realtors are useless and self interested and will try to back up any unrealistic price with "comps"...wink, wink. Good luck.
So people aren't allowed to make a profit on real estate? It doesn't matter if your seller made $0 in improvements. Thats the beauty of capitalism.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:05 PM

[quote=JayCT;43272663]I disagree though that this is the agents fault. The owner sets the price. /QUOTE]

Yes and no, Jay. A realtor knows damn well when a client is significantly overpriced and unrealistic. They have a choice to take listing or not, no gun to their head. They are hoping for a dopey buyer..and there are plenty in FFC. My advice to OP is too offer low as comps show, give 24 hours for response then move on. If you are seeing it then others will to. Don't bid against yourself and don't listen to realtor noise. They want things to move quick.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
So people aren't allowed to make a profit on real estate? It doesn't matter if your seller made $0 in improvements. Thats the beauty of capitalism.
150k profit after only 4 years of ownership? That is delusion, not capitalism. People waited 20 years or more to make that money on their house in the past. Now, everyone thinks they hit the house lottery and deserve a nest egg. Cmon..

Old 03-07-2016, 01:14 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
150k profit after only 4 years of ownership? That is delusion, not capitalism. People waited 20 years or more to make that money on their house in the past. Now, everyone thinks they hit the house lottery and deserve a nest egg. Cmon..
My first sale, I made about that much in 3 years, nevermind 4. Easy money!

Old 03-07-2016, 01:19 PM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
I made 100k after 2yrs of owning in Greenwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut