Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 06:31 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Are you kidding me? You are lucky you got an offer. Your employment history is questionable at best which gives them the upper hand and they know it. Companies rarely negotiate sick time. They have a set policy which for this company is 5 days. They may negotiate vacation time. You can leverage the pay by saying their lack of 401k contribution means more out of your pocket. So now stop your whining, grow up and act like an adult. If you want to come back to Connecticut, you may not have a lot of choices. Good luck. Jay
Are you kidding me? All of my professional friends in the Hartford area unanimously agree that the offer stinks and it's absolutely not an option. Regardless of my employment history, the fact of the matter is that I'm worth more than $68K in that area and I know I can get more. I don't see how I'm going to be motivated to work hard in a managerial position earning LESS than what I've been earning as a staff all these years. The entire time, I will be thinking about how I can get better pay and benefits at other companies and will want to quit and get a new job. That's not good. I need my next role to be a long term role.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I can carry on, but I will get to the point instead.

Regardless of the salary if the position is a promotion from your previous position and is reflected in the job title take the job. Leave after one year. At the very least it will get you back into CT.

IFyour title will be "Tax Manager" those jobs should be paying 95k plus in Hartford area. Somewhat dependent on the specialization, but tax people are ALWAYS in demand. If it were me I would take the job and ride it out for a year.
I disagree. It is absolutely 100% critical that I keep my next job for at least 5 years. I am not going to accept this job just for the sake of relocating back to CT, only to leave the job a year or two down the road.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:39 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Per capita income is irrelevant when it comes to evaluating an offer. What's relevant is my experience, education level, career field and the position itself.

As for supply and demand, it goes both ways. Like any reasonable person, I demand a salary and benefits that are typical and appropriate for someone in my position.
If there are 5 plumber positions for every one plumber (HS education + trade school) what do you think happens to a plumbers salary?

If there is 1 tax accountant position and 5 tax accountants (masters I assume) who need a job what do you think happens to the tax accountants salary?

That is even more relevant than what you wrote in bold. My cousin the electrician (trade school) is a millionaire (or close to it) with a house in CT and a farm in VT with 10+ acres.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:39 PM

Meanwhile, I am working with a recruiter who has submitted me for a position with a major financial services company in Nashville, TN. The interviews would be entirely conducted via Skype video call and I could get an offer as soon as Thursday. They also offer a $5,000 after-tax relocation package, of which I can keep the portion not spent on relocating. Salary would be $65K for a staff level position. Worklife balance is great, and is 40-45 hrs a week. And they give 4 weeks of vacation. Now to me, THAT'S what I call a great offer.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:40 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me? All of my professional friends in the Hartford area unanimously agree that the offer stinks and it's absolutely not an option. Regardless of my employment history, the fact of the matter is that I'm worth more than $68K in that area and I know I can get more.

If you are worth more, you'd have many offers for more than this. You don't. You have carried on that in under 2 months, you will have no unemployment compensation, and will be burning through 3k a month in savings.

Your professional friends will lose ZIPPO whether you accept or reject this offer. You can't say the same thing.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:40 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times
Quote:
Per capita income is irrelevant when it comes to evaluating an offer. What's relevant is my experience, education level, career field and the position itself.

As for supply and demand, it goes both ways. Like any reasonable person, I demand a salary and benefits that are typical and appropriate for someone in my position.

So? Then reject their offer and keep looking.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, I am working with a recruiter who has submitted me for a position with a major financial services company in Nashville, TN. The interviews would be entirely conducted via Skype video call and I could get an offer as soon as Thursday. They also offer a $5,000 after-tax relocation package, of which I can keep the portion not spent on relocating. Salary would be $65K for a staff level position. Worklife balance is great, and is 40-45 hrs a week. And they give 4 weeks of vacation. Now to me, THAT'S what I call a great offer.

Right now it's a phone call. You have had just one OFFER since losing your Ohio job.

Do not confuse a recruiter chatting with an offer.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If you are worth more, you'd have many offers for more than this. You don't. You have carried on that in under 2 months, you will have no unemployment compensation, and will be burning through 3k a month in savings.

Your professional friends will lose ZIPPO whether you accept or reject this offer. You can't say the same thing.
Of course I'm worth more. I was making $69K as a STAFF level tax accountant FOUR years ago in Berlin, which is right up the street. Where is the logic that now, four years later, $68K is a reasonable salary for a MANAGER position?! Give me a break!

Old 03-07-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Right now it's a phone call. You have had just one OFFER since losing your Ohio job.

Do not confuse a recruiter chatting with an offer.
I'm not going to accept an unsuitable offer. Even the CT Department of Labor states that those who are collecting unemployment benefits are allowed to refuse offers of employment that do not pay what my market wage level would be.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Of course I'm worth more. I was making $69K as a STAFF level tax accountant FOUR years ago in Berlin, which is right up the street. Where is the logic that now, four years later, $68K is a reasonable salary for a MANAGER position?! Give me a break!

You would have better offers by now if you were worth more. The market has changed. Not for the better. You were startled to even get a Ct interview, as facing facts, you were not even getting Ct phone screens before this client arose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut