Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 05:17 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

WALLINGFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Many folks redeem plastic water bottles and soda cans for cash. Without that money to supplement their income, some people say they would be strapped for cash and businesses are also worried. Marc Zuckerman, like many others in the state, rely on bottle recycling to make money. But a committee in the state legislature is proposing a bill that would repeal the 5 cent refundable bottle deposit and replace it with a 4 cent tax.

“It would be a hardship for a lot of people. It’s not a major income but it does help,” said Zuckerman.

That proposal is not sitting well with M&M Redemption Center in Wallingford.

“It would put a lot of people out of work, all the people that have machines in their stores or anybody that has a redemption center,” said Michael Pianka with M&M Redemption Center.

The committee is calling for a study to see if the proposal would be better for the environment. Money raised by the tax would be used to promote recycling and anti-littering programs.

“I don’t know how it would be better for the environment because, the whole law, when it was started 35 years ago was really a litter law. It was to prevent litter on the streets, adding a value to a bottle or a can on the side of the road,” said Pianka.

Businesses wouldn’t be the only ones affected. Some people say the bottle deposits supplement their income.

“It’s good for me. It’s about $56 to $60 a month all together. I bring myself by bicycle so I have limited carrying capacity. I make multiple trips if I have to,” said Zuckerman.

Some lawmakers call for a study to end the bottle deposit program | WTNH Connecticut News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 06:19 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
This makes no sense, why would they do this?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:22 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
This makes no sense, why would they do this?
This is Connecticut and you are asking why they would implement a tax? Are you new?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:39 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Pathetic. Enough is enough. Stop taxing every little thing possible. There's a lot of people who are homeless who rely on this to make money to feed themselves..now they want to elimate it?!

Old 03-09-2016, 04:07 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Will this be added to the 6.35% sales tax already on cans/bottles?

If not that means there will be a 10.35% tax when I buy soda for a party or just want a quick drink.

That is crazy!

Old 03-09-2016, 04:19 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
This is Connecticut and you are asking why they would implement a tax? Are you new?
I figure they'd be a state that would encourage recycling, not the other way around. I would expect (not that it would be right) knowing them that they would keep the deposit system and still try to implement a tax

Old 03-09-2016, 08:45 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
I would expect nothing less from the leadership of this state. Christ, 2018 cannot come soon enough when we can finally dump this administration. I don't know why it's so hard for lawmakers to grasp the concept that you cannot tax your way out of a problem. But hey, don't take MY word for it. Just ask Weicker who implemented a "temporary" state income tax. 25 years later, it's not so temporary anymore, and they're still spending like drunken sailors in Times Square. Idiots.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
I knew a guy who would fill up a van with $150 in returns.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:57 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I would expect nothing less from the leadership of this state. Christ, 2018 cannot come soon enough when we can finally dump this administration. I don't know why it's so hard for lawmakers to grasp the concept that you cannot tax your way out of a problem. But hey, don't take MY word for it. Just ask Weicker who implemented a "temporary" state income tax. 25 years later, it's not so temporary anymore, and they're still spending like drunken sailors in Times Square. Idiots.
They not adressing the nearly 1 billion dollar red ink starting July 1.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:59 AM

554 posts, read 1,060,927 times
I thought there already was a bottle return fee added onto the bill when you buy cans/bottles in the store? So in effect, if you didn't return them, you would be paying more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut