Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 05:57 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,164,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have accepted the offer for the job in Middletown, after negotiating a bit. I have been able to negotiate the offer from $68K to $70K, and after complaining about the lack of sick days and holidays, they decided to increase my vacation days from 10 days to 15 days.

I am still disappointed that there's no bonus incentive and no 401k match, but I think I will be able to work around that somehow. The company seems to be a good place to work, with a young, progressive culture in a rapidly growing small company. And it is a career promotion for me (staff to senior level). So finally, I got "promoted!"

But look....as much as I would have preferred for a better offer, I just had to come to terms with reality. The fact of the matter is that I have been looking for a job for about 4 months now and this is the one and only offer that came my way, and it's located in central CT, which is where I want to optimally be. God knows if another 4 months would have gone by until my next offer. And I only have 7 weeks left of unemployment. The situation would become very dire, and I cannot let that happen and start depleting $3,000 a month of my savings. It's just too much of a risk to take, and I have a feeling it would not play out well.

So, I'm just going to have to look at the positives of this job offer: (1) it's a career promotion from staff to senior level, (2) it's located in my preferred area, (3) I will get 3 weeks of paid vacation from the start, and (4) the salary is reasonable and fair.

Also, no longer will I have to "waste" my precious vacation days on visiting family in CT and spending thousands of dollars and having to sleep over their house, etc.

What do you think?
I think you've made the correct decision to be able to move back to CT and being close to your family which with you has importance as well as this being GREAT for your career as once you put in some years will command you a greater salary later.

Yes, at least you got a job offer and with your unemployment running out it was a decision that was at best "darned if you do" OR "darned if you don't".

CONGRATS as I'm sure you're happy to return home!!!

Old 03-10-2016, 07:48 AM

4,714 posts, read 5,927,622 times
Welcome back to Connecticut. And, if you really want to stay in the area for the longer-term, having a job in Middletown makes it a lot easier to search for a new job (eventually) than having a job in Columbus - or, not having a job.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:50 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,158,470 times
Quote:
Well, I will temporarily stay with parents for a few weeks in Granby, until I find an apartment within commuting distance. The first few weeks will suck big time, having to commute from Granby to Middletown. Ugh. Not a fun way to start a new job.
Stay long enough to save back all that money wasted on that epic waste of time and effort, then rent.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,352,605 times
I am glad nep woke up and took the offer, but something doesn't seem right. Oh well, best of luck.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:57 AM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
That's not true in central Ohio. Columbus is very white collar and there are more corporate headquarters per capita here than any other metropolitan area in the U.S. There are big companies here like Nationwide, Cardinal Health, XPO Logistics, DHL, L Brands, Express, NetJets, Emerson, AEP Ohio, Columbia Gas, and the list goes on and on...
Actually I thought Stamford held this distinction. Jay

Old 03-10-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I'll just do my best and see how it goes. That's all. But I'm not going to kill myself working 50+ hour weeks as Jay suggested. Even the employer said they don't want their culture to be like that.
If you were my kid, I would smack you. You haven't even started the job and you are already making excuses. This is a recipe for failure for someone at your level and employment history. Stop making demands and limitations. You have no leverage in this. You HAVE to do better and if that means sacrificing a few of your precious personal hours doing God knows what, then that is what you should do. Grow up already! You are 31, not 3. Jay

Old 03-10-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Well, I will temporarily stay with parents for a few weeks in Granby, until I find an apartment within commuting distance. The first few weeks will suck big time, having to commute from Granby to Middletown. Ugh. Not a fun way to start a new job.
The good news is, it should not be hard to find a nice apartment in the Middletown area. There are a lot of options and since you have lived there before and liked it, you will not need to get to know the area first. I do wish you good luck, Jay

Old 03-10-2016, 03:27 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,859,352 times
I have bad news.

Today, I got a precise estimate of the cost of relocation, of which I would have to pay for all of it.

The grand total will be around $4,000. To break the lease here will cost $2,000. The UHAUL ordeal will cost $1,800. And it will costs maybe another $100 to drive over there, and another $200 or so for storage costs.

After more consideration, especially how I had to spend $3,000 last summer to relocate here to Columbus, I just cannot justify spending a total of $7,000 in relo costs all out of my own pocket. I mean, what if I get fired again in Middletown? I'm scarred from the experience from last summer.

Therefore, I have contacted the recruiter and asked if the company can cover my relocation costs of $4,000 (or hopefully half of it), or else I will rescind the offer. The recruiter suggested this yesterday, but I told her to avoid asking the employer, because it will look like I'm asking for too much. And they have another candidate (who happens to be local) that they'd like to make an offer to if it doesn't work out with me. So we'll see what happens now.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:31 PM

503 posts, read 526,847 times
If self-sabotage was an art form you'd be the Da Vinci of our time.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:01 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,478,593 times
Practically no one pays relo for a non-management employee so I'm surprised the recruiter suggested it. That being said, sometimes you need to spend money to make it. How much would you lose in opportunity costs if it takes you 2 months to get another offer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut