Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 02:15 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,155,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaranshe View Post
Is Amtrak the only train option?

So Glastonbury to Union Station (New Haven) is about 50 mins of drive. Then park there (is there parking at the station?) and take Amtrak to get to Stamford which is another 50 or so mins. Then need to figure out how to ride to work.!

Google maps shows 1 hour 25 mins of drive. What if I leave early enough to beat the traffic? When does traffic get busy? On the face of it, the drive looks more convenient as you get in drive and get out.
IF you can hit Fairfield town by 6:15 - 6:30am, you should be able to cruise into Stamford.
6:45 or 7:00, forget it, turn around and go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 02:27 PM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
IF you can hit Fairfield town by 6:15 - 6:30am, you should be able to cruise into Stamford.
6:45 or 7:00, forget it, turn around and go home.
Exactly this. And returning, if you can hit 95 in Stamford by 3 PM, you should be okay. Otherwise, plan on 70-90 minutes just to get to Black Rock.

I knew someone from Glastonbury who worked in Stamford. He rented in Norwalk and lived there Monday to Thursday. Is that an option?

Old 03-14-2016, 02:30 PM

4,394 posts, read 3,280,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
wow, that's a brutal commute by car. I'd take the train to New Haven and then train to Stamford - if that is feasible.
I would do the above and take the train if you work in the southern part of Stamford. There is a shuttle you can take from the train station to the downtown area. Your company might have a shuttle too. You know that time you looked up of 1 hour and 25 minutes. I would double it and that is on a good day.

My husband and I are originally fro Stamford, we now live in Trumbull. We worked in Stamford for about 12 years after we moved to Trumbull. We stopped the commute about 10 years ago. We would have to leave about 6:30 to have a good ride. Now it's worse. You have 3 major cities of New Haven Bridgeport and then Stamford to go through. You could get tied up an hour in any city with an accident. My husband always jokes instead of our motto being the "Constitution State" we should be the "Traffic State".

If you worked in the northern part of Stamford I would have told you to take I-84 to 121 to 124. It would be a long drive but it would be consistent. If you took this route and went faster than 55 MPH on I-84 (wink, wink, nod, nod) you would make good time.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,707,746 times
It's not AmTrak, it's Metro North you would be using for the train.

Your time will be a heck of a lot longer than hour and a half. As someone else suggested, try to cluster your three times a week in sequence, get down there and take a motel/hotel for two nights and drive home the third day. Good luck

Old 03-14-2016, 02:44 PM

503 posts, read 526,391 times
I agree with willow wind. I'd just stay down there in a motel. The proposed commute is impractical, ill-advised, insane, <insert negative adjective here>.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:00 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaranshe View Post
Is Amtrak the only train option?

So Glastonbury to Union Station (New Haven) is about 50 mins of drive. Then park there (is there parking at the station?) and take Amtrak to get to Stamford which is another 50 or so mins. Then need to figure out how to ride to work.!

Google maps shows 1 hour 25 mins of drive. What if I leave early enough to beat the traffic? When does traffic get busy? On the face of it, the drive looks more convenient as you get in drive and get out.
Like the others noted, unless you are in Fairfield by 6:15 AM, you will hit traffic. That means leaving Glastonbury by 5:15 AM. The train would give you a more predictable commute. You would take a Metro North commuter train from New Haven to Stamford. There is parking at Union Station in New Haven but it does fill up. If it is full you can park in the garage across the street or in the open lot on the corner of State Street and MLK Drive, next to Route 34. Jay

Old 03-14-2016, 03:02 PM

4,394 posts, read 3,280,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
I agree with willow wind. I'd just stay down there in a motel. The proposed commute is impractical, ill-advised, insane, <insert negative adjective here>.
It does seem insane but sometimes people need to do the insane for bit to get by. When I worked in Stamford I knew fellow graphic artist that came down from Clinton for 2 to 3 days a week on I-95. She would come in on Monday, pick up the work and bring it back on Friday. She would also have to come in for meetings mid week a lot also. In this day and age you gotta do what you gotta do.

I know someone said to cluster the days but I am sure the OP might not be able to pick the days.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:27 PM

39 posts, read 38,505 times
If you can avoid rush hour, personally I would take the merrit all the way there and get off right in Stamford. I can say 95 south from bridgeport on starts to back up around 6:45am (I drive my wife to the bpt train station every morning and on occasion fairfield) - it could be a tough commute as others said, if you can get a place to stay it would help your sanity a ton! My guess is most days you'll be able to find a place in the stamford area for $100 a night or less, may be more during warmer months and of course near holidays... Good luck!

Old 03-15-2016, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 3,509 times
Thank you so much everybody who took time to respond. I am leaning towards taking the train from New Haven, but will try driving and see how much insanity is there!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:54 AM

695 posts, read 696,282 times
I once had a project that entailed driving from Manchester to Stamford Harbor every day for three months. We would load the trucks and leave Manchester no later than 5:30 a.m. It typically took two hours to get to the job site, where we met with contractors staying in town. On one particularly bad day, it took three. After being late meeting the contractors too many times, the boss decided we would stay in town during the week, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut