Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 09:13 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They can take comfort knowing their still employed union brothers did not ante up a penny in cuts to save their jobs. It was kid of DM to indicate a willingness to avoid layoffs of state employees. The union rejected these ideas, though, and now the personnel budget must be cut in less pleasant ways.

That decision led to these layoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Long-time employees are being cruelly let go at DSS. HR just comes in and shows them the door. And this is a state department that is woefully understaffed, whose employees found themselves overworked even before the layoffs.

State worker layoffs continue at three agencies | The CT Mirror
The so called harsh firings shouldn't be taken personally IMO. I think they do this because they don't want employees (who were just laid off) sabotaging work and/or computer systems. In most of the corporations I've worked at when a person gives two week notice and/or is laid off they are told to leave immediately.

In the case of giving two week notice usually the company will pay you for that time (usually called in-lieu payments) IF they DO NOT pay you for those two weeks (and you are told to leave) you can file for unemployment. This happened to a friend of mine once. He found a new job scheduled to start two weeks after quitting his current job. He gives two weeks notice they tell him to leave but DO NOT pay him for that time. He collected unemployment for those two weeks he was unemployed.

The public views DSS as an agency that only helps welfare leeches so they are not going to get any sympathy. They won't even get any sympathy on this forum for the most part. You can already see this with the comments rolling in. If anything they should have hired more employees at these agencies and cut at the top. I would start with the Governor's executive office.

Ultimately, like I said earlier the Governor et all DO NOT care about these cuts since they will not be personally affected by them. Same thing goes for the people on this forum giving the thumbs up for these cuts. If they had a handicapped grand parent in Bristol who had to visit that office, but now has to visit New Britain's office instead they would be singing a different tune.

DSS serves far more people than the so called "welfare leeches"

Old 04-14-2016, 09:35 AM

854 posts, read 1,241,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

The public views DSS as an agency that only helps welfare leeches so they are not going to get any sympathy.
I don't think that's how the "public" actually views DSS. Only the loudest and most obnoxious members of the "public" do, but they are not representative of the people at large.

Also, I believe it's 4-week severance due to union rules and not 2 weeks in this case with respect to the DSS.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:44 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
I would rather have seen more layoffs and a lot fewer cuts to education (or, no cuts at all to education - it's a short-term solution that creates more problems for the long-term)

Old 04-14-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The so called harsh firings shouldn't be taken personally IMO. I think they do this because they don't want employees (who were just laid off) sabotaging work and/or computer systems. In most of the corporations I've worked at when a person gives two week notice and/or is laid off they are told to leave immediately.
There is a way to do this humanely, but that's not the approach that the Executive Branch followed.

The Judicial Branch is partaking in this difficult process in a much more reasonable manner, according to Chief Justice Rogers:

Quote:
Rogers said the layoffs will “occur in a manner consistent with the 'seniority' definition in each of our four collective bargaining agreements and in accord with our existing practice and procedures.”

The layoffs will be in effect as of June 24 and no one will have to leave the workplace immediately after receiving a layoff notice.
Layoffs Notices Going to Out to 126 Judicial Branch Employees | NBC Connecticut

Old 04-14-2016, 03:26 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Aren't they closing a SS office in Torrington. The DMV will probably be next and then State Police HQ up that way ha.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Aren't they closing a SS office in Torrington.
That's the plan. Bristol, Norwalk and Meriden DSS offices were previously closed, I think around 2003.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:17 AM

Another 166 were laid off at the Department of Correction.

Layoff Total Hits 644 With Latest State Job Cuts - Hartford Courant

Old 04-22-2016, 08:17 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Another 166 were laid off at the Department of Correction.

Layoff Total Hits 644 With Latest State Job Cuts - Hartford Courant
Short staffed corrections went so well yesterday

Old 04-22-2016, 09:01 AM

845 posts, read 680,304 times
The cuts have made chaos within the State Police Academy. I know someone who is in tune with that sector, and a whole class of folks was just ended and released.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut