Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
There are plenty of folks in South Mississippi that have lived there for at least 5 generations and it doesn't make them "experts".
My relatives and their friends have been business owners, in the government and pillars of the community for generations in Stamford and I will not parry with you any more on this account.

I personally have sat at meetings with my Pellicci cousins on the "West Side Revitalization Committee" and saw first hand what it takes to turn that area around. Another cousin, a Republican (who was in the government at the same time with Malloy) has been on the Board of Finance, Board of Education and Zoning Board etc. I have heard first hand from him what it takes to make a great city. It just does not come about from being in close proximity to NYC or "luck". It takes HARD DILIGENT work to make a great city in CT*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Malloy got lucky.
Do you really think Malloy got lucky for 15+ years?

Well anyway at least Malloy is trying to do something. I wish him well and hope he does as well for the state as he did for Stamford.

*This is why I also have respect for Mayor Boughton of Danbury. I understand how hard it is for him to turn around his city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 10:28 PM

77 posts, read 76,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Governor Malloy did not hire all the government workers over the last 30 years and give them big pay raises, benefits packages and large pension plans. This was MANY years in the making and if you don't understand that premise you are falling for the other sides rhetoric hook line and sinker. He WAS left with the mess.
Sure, but he DID retro-actively tax CT residents while giving retro-active raises to his staffers. Talk about "shared" sacrifice... CT residents were doing the sacrificing to share extra money with his crew.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:28 AM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
They can't do that if the union doesn't agree to open the retirement agreement that goes till 2022. No one in their right mind would agree to what you say and they've already told us we'll take layoffs over any changes to the retirement or medical plan.
Per above, Then union "brothers" chose the layoff path, and those getting axed should always remember that. Should't solidarity involve sacrifice for ALL over sacrifices larger (jobs) by some? I'd be outraged to avoid being affected knowing jobs are at stake.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:22 PM

570 posts, read 476,995 times
Quote:
My relatives and their friends have been business owners, in the government and pillars of the community for generations in Stamford and I will not parry with you any more on this account.

I personally have sat at meetings with my Pellicci cousins on the "West Side Revitalization Committee" and saw first hand what it takes to turn that area around. Another cousin, a Republican (who was in the government at the same time with Malloy) has been on the Board of Finance, Board of Education and Zoning Board etc. I have heard first hand from him what it takes to make a great city. It just does not come about from being in close proximity to NYC or "luck". It takes HARD DILIGENT work to make a great city in CT*.

Do you really think Malloy got lucky for 15+ years?

Well anyway at least Malloy is trying to do something. I wish him well and hope he does as well for the state as he did for Stamford.

*This is why I also have respect for Mayor Boughton of Danbury. I understand how hard it is for him to turn around his city.
In no small part, Stamford grew due to banks wanting to alleviate operational risk by spreading to locations other than NYC. The tax incentives on top of major credit bubble allowed Stamford to grow until it collapsed in 2007. The city is now sucking wind after chasing Bridgewater away, UBS shrinking, RBS leaving the US, GE capital sell-off and now Starwoods possibly headed out. The rental developments are insane. Where are jobs to support $3500/month rent? It is so far ahead of itself. They are getting close to NYC prices.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:27 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
In no small part, Stamford grew due to banks wanting to alleviate operational risk by spreading to locations other than NYC. The tax incentives on top of major credit bubble allowed Stamford to grow until it collapsed in 2007. The city is now sucking wind after chasing Bridgewater away, UBS shrinking, RBS leaving the US, GE capital sell-off and now Starwoods possibly headed out. The rental developments are insane. Where are jobs to support $3500/month rent? It is so far ahead of itself. They are getting close to NYC prices.
It is not as bleak as you paint it. Much of GE Capital spun off as Synchrony which is based in Stamford. It looks like the Starwood- Marriott deal is dead, replaced by a better deal that could easily be better for Stamford. And there does not appear to be a shortage of people filling up all those pricey apartments. There are still a lot of offices all over the city so I would not worry. Jay

Old 03-20-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is not as bleak as you paint it. Much of GE Capital spun off as Synchrony which is based in Stamford. It looks like the Starwood- Marriott deal is dead, replaced by a better deal that could easily be better for Stamford. And there does not appear to be a shortage of people filling up all those pricey apartments. There are still a lot of offices all over the city so I would not worry. Jay

"The reports of my (and Stamford's and Connecticut's) death have been greatly exaggerated"

Scroll down to "per capita income". Connecticut is #1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_by_income

And you know that Stamford is the economic engine of the state.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
. Where are jobs to support $3500/month rent?
A train ride away on Wall Street.......you know that place where they are pilfering the wealth of the country.

BTW, it was like that when my great great grandparents lived in Stamford, my great grandparents, my grandparents, my parents and unless Wall Street moves it will be that way in the future.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:47 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:

"The reports of my (and Stamford's and Connecticut's) death have been greatly exaggerated"

Scroll down to "per capita income". Connecticut is #1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_by_income

And you know that Stamford is the economic engine of the state.

NYC economic and real estate affect Stamford.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:13 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
State union negotiator resists Malloy bid to reopen benefits pact | The CT Mirror

Here come the pink slips.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:44 AM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post

and they should come, as that was the union's choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut