Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:21 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Heard that about Woodlake high common fees and new they were old, but heard updates on the Condos addressed that issue.

Ideally hoping the fiancé will take the transfer to Wallingford. Didn't mean Woodbridge my bad. Know a lot of condos are out that way and utilities are very reasonable. Outside of that anywhere between Naugy and Shelton be reasonable places to look for a reasonable commute time.

Waterbury has a lot of inexpensive condos for sale cheaper to buy than to rent. Only issue is buying in Waterbury with an increase in property taxes is a terrible idea, ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 11:27 AM

503 posts, read 530,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Fiancé is pushing to buy a condo instead of rent. Fiancé starting to look into the Woodbury area. Thinking of Woodbridge for a condo.
I'm of the opinion that you don't want to buy until you are both settled comfortably into long-term jobs. Because long commutes are one of the only sources of unhappiness in life that we cannot adapt to (proven by studies), the risk that you will tether yourself to the wrong area is real and should be foremost in your thoughts.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:36 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
I'm of the opinion that you don't want to buy until you are both settled comfortably into long-term jobs. Because long commutes are one of the only sources of unhappiness in life that we cannot adapt to (proven by studies), the risk that you will tether yourself to the wrong area is real and should be foremost in your thoughts.
Exactly. Get through school then deal with mortgages and home maintenance.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:34 AM

Hi, so we think we settled on area's we like to work and study in the State. My fiancée is looking to stay in Newtown. I am thinking of going back to WestConn to complete my nursing degree. I'll have one semeter left of prerequisites at NVCC, but as long as I am 30 mins from a CC is okay.

We are looking for something commutable ton Danbury, Bridgeport, and Newtown. Any suggestions? Trying to find a place in a safe area studio to 2bdrm place $800 to $1200. We would look into a $1500 place if utilities were included. Know we are kind of all over the map.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:36 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Hi, so we think we settled on area's we like to work and study in the State. My fiancée is looking to stay in Newtown. I am thinking of going back to WestConn to complete my nursing degree. I'll have one semeter left of prerequisites at NVCC, but as long as I am 30 mins from a CC is okay.

We are looking for something commutable ton Danbury, Bridgeport, and Newtown. Any suggestions? Trying to find a place in a safe area studio to 2bdrm place $800 to $1200. We would look into a $1500 place if utilities were included. Know we are kind of all over the map.
Bethel.

I suggest you look into NVCC's nursing program. It's highly regarded and a fraction of the cost of WestConn's.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Bethel.

I suggest you look into NVCC's nursing program. It's highly regarded and a fraction of the cost of WestConn's.
I know off topic, but it's my thread ha. I am torn thinking about the direction I should go with nursing. If I did NVCC I stay in the Waterbury, Naugatuck, Middlebury or Watertown area. Only issue is the associate is becoming obsolete in CT. Nursing homes will take Nurse's with associate degrees, but they are becoming more and more competitive due to nurse's pouring out of CT community college's. I know a few nurse's who travel an hour from where they live to find work.

By the time done with NVCC all the hospitals in CT will require BSNs so probably be over saturated the market of Associate nurse's. Also heard rumors that CT Corrections and UCONN Health might require their nurse's to have a BSN.

The hospital I work at requires nurse's to have a BSN.

It's a tought call not sure what to do.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:31 PM

503 posts, read 530,156 times
Quote:
By the time done with NVCC all the hospitals in CT will require BSNs so probably be over saturated the market of Associate nurse's. Also heard rumors that CT Corrections and UCONN Health might require their nurse's to have a BSN.

Just complete the NVCC program and jump into an RN-to-BSN program after that. The fiancee is midway through CCC's program and that's her plan.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:51 PM

Also depends if can make the lottery. Fiancée did entered in at 45 was wait listed. Said since I am a male and my years of experience in healthcare will get me in will see.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:51 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
I know off topic, but it's my thread ha. I am torn thinking about the direction I should go with nursing. If I did NVCC I stay in the Waterbury, Naugatuck, Middlebury or Watertown area. Only issue is the associate is becoming obsolete in CT. Nursing homes will take Nurse's with associate degrees, but they are becoming more and more competitive due to nurse's pouring out of CT community college's. I know a few nurse's who travel an hour from where they live to find work.

There are still hospitals (Griffin, Bristol, New Britain, Waterbury, St. Mary's, Charlotte, Danbury, and Yale) that hire ADNs. Just tell them that you started working toward your BSN (it could be simply that you applied to a school for it) and that's been enough for most hospitals. I doubt the corrections facility cares about BSN or ADN, but of course UCONN will go with it because they only offer the BSN. I can tell you that Mid-State and Ct Children's preach they want BSNs but I still know recent ADNs who have been hired there.

If you can't afford the BSN, then stick with the ADN and then move forward. Working in a hospital right now gives you an edge as does being a male. Believe me, I know the mind game of BSN vs. ADN and the rumors can drive you crazy. But do what's best for you right now. There are so many options in nursing besides hospitals anyway if you can't find a job. As hard as it is, don't let the ADN vs. BSN bother you...and keep telling yourself that throughout nursing school.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
There are still hospitals (Griffin, Bristol, New Britain, Waterbury, St. Mary's, Charlotte, Danbury, and Yale) that hire ADNs. Just tell them that you started working toward your BSN (it could be simply that you applied to a school for it) and that's been enough for most hospitals. I doubt the corrections facility cares about BSN or ADN, but of course UCONN will go with it because they only offer the BSN. I can tell you that Mid-State and Ct Children's preach they want BSNs but I still know recent ADNs who have been hired there.

If you can't afford the BSN, then stick with the ADN and then move forward. Working in a hospital right now gives you an edge as does being a male. Believe me, I know the mind game of BSN vs. ADN and the rumors can drive you crazy. But do what's best for you right now. There are so many options in nursing besides hospitals anyway if you can't find a job. As hard as it is, don't let the ADN vs. BSN bother you...and keep telling yourself that throughout nursing school.
I work for one of those hospital and a friend for another. They (One might be sooner than the other) will require all nurses to have their BSN internally and same for external applicants. Charlotte will probably go BSN since they will possibly be incorporated into the Hartford Hospital Organization (If the State allows it.) Every nurse I work with is in a rush to go back and obtain their BSN. The rumors are that St. Mary's once finally merged with that hospital organization will become Magnet status. Danbury Hospital have a family member that works there. Said they are picky at that the moment really only hiring BSN nurses, but still hire ADNs. It remains to be seen what will happen with Danbury. I heard Hartford Hospital Organization is similar to YNHS that by 2020 BSN only (Hospital of Central CT, Day Kimball, MidState, Backus, and so forth). I wouldn't mind working in Griffin though know a lot of people that work there that say it is an amazing hospital. Not sure how corrections works in the State believe somehow they are connected with UCONN Health. Think the only hospital's that won't require a BSN will be Sharon, Waterbury, Stamford, and Milford by 2020 in CT.

Be an interesting market come 2020 if I can complete a nursing program. If I do the ADN I'll have about zero debt and probably move down South or Upstate NY where it is a bit friendlier market for Nurses with Associates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut