Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 03:47 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Perceived is the operative word when it comes to assuming a new group of kids will take things downhill....it's quite similar to people who moved to suburbs years ago because minorities moved into their neighborhoods in my opinion. I look at it as a chance for kids from struggling backgrounds to move uphill. But that won't happen if people run away because they've made such judgements.
Great.... but it is what it is! Home values in districts with good schools don't decline..... so most people disagree with you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 04:04 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Op asked for good schools. Bristol and plainville schools are declining, not for any reason other than changing demographics.
Again you're proving your "there goes the neighborhood" attitude. Have some faith in your own parenting and realize your kids will be be fine even if they are near kids you consider to be a "decline" on the community. While I know Bristol can be rough, the kids I've met from Plainvilled give me no indication that the town is nothing less than a typical CT suburb. What's interesting is that I've seen people trash Southington because some of the kids are "less than desirable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Great.... but it is what it is! Home values in districts with good schools don't decline..... so most people disagree with you...
Fortunately, I think and see for myself rather than worring about people's ignorant perceptions. Glad to see you're ok with prejudice and profiling.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:13 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Again you're proving your "there goes the neighborhood" attitude. Have some faith in your own parenting and realize your kids will be be fine even if they are near kids you consider to be a "decline" on the community. While I know Bristol can be rough, the kids I've met from Plainvilled give me no indication that the town is nothing less than a typical CT suburb. What's interesting is that I've seen people trash Southington because some of the kids are "less than desirable".

Fortunately, I think and see for myself rather than worring about people's ignorant perceptions. Glad to see you're ok with prejudice and profiling.
Prejudice against what? I'm not white....

And when perceptions affect your wallet....then you have to face reality..!

Old 03-22-2016, 04:18 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Prejudice against what? I'm not white....

And when perceptions affect your wallet....then you have to face reality..!
I know it's there, but I don't find it acceptable. So I don't play the game...that's just me though. But again, I don't see wth is wrong with Plainville and if a group of people moved in (whether we know they are good students or not), would you move out without giving it a chance. People have said the same thing about Newington of all places.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:48 AM

487 posts, read 536,871 times
There are a couple large housing developments currently being passed through Southington's Planning & Zoning. If you are on Facebook join the 'Southington Talks' page for local chatter on all sorts of things.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:21 AM

39 posts, read 38,752 times
Congrats and welcome to CT. I hear ESPN is a great place to work - I have a lot of friends who either work there or have worked there!

Southington is a good town. Lots of stores and the commute to Bristol is easy enough. You should also be able to find a nice property for your budget!

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2016, 11:35 AM

163 posts, read 240,569 times
Look in Southington and Farmington first. Traffic is not an issue in Farmington unless you need to cross through the rt 4/rt 177 intersection or the rt4/rt10 intersection. Chances are you would not have to cross either one to commute to Bristol.

Other options are the Bristol end of Burlington and the Southington end of Berlin.

I have a few friends with children in Plainville schools and they love it. Nothing negative to say.

I'd avoid Bristol itself just because of the schools. I've heard nothing BUT negative reports from people I know concerning Bristol schools.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:37 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhpotter View Post
Look in Southington and Farmington first. Traffic is not an issue in Farmington unless you need to cross through the rt 4/rt 177 intersection or the rt4/rt10 intersection. Chances are you would not have to cross either one to commute to Bristol.

Other options are the Bristol end of Burlington and the Southington end of Berlin.

I have a few friends with children in Plainville schools and they love it. Nothing negative to say.

I'd avoid Bristol itself just because of the schools. I've heard nothing BUT negative reports from people I know concerning Bristol schools.

Bristol schools rate 5 out of 10

Southington schools 8 out of 10
Farmington 9 out of 10

Framingtion is bit better in schools both are good though.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:42 AM

503 posts, read 530,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Bristol schools rate 5 out of 10

Southington schools 8 out of 10
Farmington 9 out of 10

Framingtion is bit better in schools
Farmington is an absolutely wonderful place to live and would be my pick, with Southington a pretty close second (I wouldn't consider Bristol). Farmington also has the lowest mill rate in the area at 25.10, which will reduce the likelihood that you come back later to start a thread about the property tax on your car.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:44 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Farmington is an absolutely wonderful place to live and would be my pick, with Southington a pretty close second (I wouldn't consider Bristol). Farmington also has the lowest mill rate in the area at 25.10, which will reduce the likelihood that you come back later to start a thread about the property tax on your car.
I heard Bristol has Waterbury and New Britain spillovers in the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut