Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:45 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I'm going to call the town today.... I have a Nissan Maxima... still seems very high for our mil rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 06:46 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Get an older cheaper car. Problem solved.
Typical liberal BS response. Don't like the insane taxes the state charges? Get a beater car that will barely get you to work!

People shouldn't have to settle for a crappy car because of taxes...

Old 03-30-2016, 07:37 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Typical liberal BS response. Don't like the insane taxes the state charges? Get a beater car that will barely get you to work!

Hah! I wouldn't classify myself as a liberal by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have a 30 year old car that not only gets me to work, but all over New England and down to the Virginias recently. You don't need a new car for it to be reliable. I pick the old car over the 2001 truck I have access to for long trips every time (they get the same mileage).

I'm also not the first person who has commented on Run's pricey car - both tax wise and payment. There are many reliable and - dare I say, even new - cars available in the under 20K price range.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:08 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post

The person WouldLoveto was responding to spent 95% of his annual income on a vehicle and then in threads goes around saying we need bernie sanders to come in with handouts for free college degrees, ban households with a meager (for CT) 100k income from attending public universities, blah blah blah.

The comment was likely directed at the posters financial decisions in general, not the suppressive nature of CTs car tax. His problems run deeper than the annual tax. We, on the other hand, can afford it but perceive it as a gross injustice.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:26 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
The person WouldLoveto was responding to spent 95% of his annual income on a vehicle and then in threads goes around saying we need bernie sanders to come in with handouts for free college degrees, ban households with a meager (for CT) 100k income from attending public universities, blah blah blah.

The comment was likely directed at the posters financial decisions in general, not the suppressive nature of CTs car tax. His problems run deeper than the annual tax. We, on the other hand, can afford it but perceive it as a gross injustice.
Hey I manage pretty well. I am not asking for handouts. I am asking for CT to shape up and start giving a you know what for its residents.

CT is in the red, taxes are on the rise, jobs are on the decrease, property and rent prices skyrocket, college's cost continues to rise in the state, healthcare cost rise/loose staffing due to high taxes imposed by the government, and state run agencies run insufficiently due to cuts. Our infrastructure in CT os outdated and roads are in poor shape. Inner City schools are underfunded and it shows. The Rich come to hide out and the Poor receive shelter in this state. Medicaid is expansive covering many residents in thos state. Taking Money away from Hospitals/Healthcare Facilities. Also more Medicaid covers less Medicare is covered. This state is going to the poops.

Not all gung-ho for Bernie however his ideas are the only ones to bring change in this election. We need a Universal Healthcare system because insuring coverage for individuals is failing. The poor grow and the mark of your income that classifies you as being the bottom of the income class grows. US gives banks and large corporations breaks in the US, while there money and job's are sent over seas.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post

Agreed. I wouldn't be so against it if the tax was somewhat reasonable. But to spend four figures on yearly vehicle tax for two cars is. As you put it, a gross injustice.

As for the Maxima - brand new, they're, what, 30k? So maybe the figure the OP gave isn't off. I'll admit, I like my cars. I spent my days driving beaters. I now have a newer Grand Cherokee and just picked up a brand new Audi. But I'm 30 now with a comfortable household income, and from 16-25, I drove vehicles that would barely pass emissions. I see these new college graduates buying BMWs on what's likely a 40k a year salary.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:54 AM

I wouldn't spend more then $25K on a car. Usually the cost goes up in CT I have no idea why. My retail value of my new lease vehicle was $24K something. However, leased it at $26,500.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:57 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I wouldn't spend more then $25K on a car. Usually the cost goes up in CT I have no idea why. My retail value of my new lease vehicle was $24K something. However, leased it at $26,500.
The price goes up when you include tax, dealers fees, etc. When I leased mine last week, I believe the $2500 I put down covered mostly fees. The actual MSRP of the vehicle remains the same, lease or buy. Correct me if I'm wrong, gmdealerguy.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The price goes up when you include tax, dealers fees, etc. When I leased mine last week, I believe the $2500 I put down covered mostly fees. The actual MSRP of the vehicle remains the same, lease or buy. Correct me if I'm wrong, gmdealerguy.
That makes sense
I mean the Dealer Fee was somewhere between $300 to $350, which wasn't bad. I can't recall the other fees.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:09 AM

503 posts, read 530,156 times
Our property taxes are excessive, but does anyone else notice a pattern where the people complaining most loudly leased their cars? Leasing says to me you are either overextending to drive something nicer than you can actually afford or you are just not good at financial decision-making because leasing is always a losing proposition. Living comfortably in CT requires some financial wisdom and efforts to mitigate your tax burden -- leasing a new vehicle is not part of the equation.

Start reading some books by Dave Ramsey or any of the other popular personal finance gurus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut