Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 11,415 times

Advertisements

Yep, that's the one thing that concerns me, the HOA fees. They're about 500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardi92 View Post
That's a pretty common amount for most complexes in the whole region. Friends of ours in Southport Woods pay that or $550ish I believe for a 3 bed.
I paid $300 for a 1 bedroom 8-10 years ago, albeit it was waterfront.

Last edited by Raider111; 05-19-2016 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 08:27 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Yikes, that is high. Not sure what you get for such a high amount. The person I know that looked there several years ago and figured they could just stay in their home and pay someone to do their yardwork and snow removal for the same or less. Of course, they had a very lovely ranch style home in a beautiful neighborhood nearby so I don't blame them. Jay

Old 05-20-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yikes, that is high. Not sure what you get for such a high amount. The person I know that looked there several years ago and figured they could just stay in their home and pay someone to do their yardwork and snow removal for the same or less. Of course, they had a very lovely ranch style home in a beautiful neighborhood nearby so I don't blame them. Jay
Common fees will also include insurance and may or may not include reserves for repairs, it's more than just grounds maintenance.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Common fees will also include insurance and may or may not include reserves for repairs, it's more than just grounds maintenance.
That is $180 more than a complex I know that has a large clubhouse with pool, tennis court, racquetball court, sauna, clubroom, exercise room and weight room. I don't think that Woodfield has many of these things.

Common charges include insurance only for the exterior structure. The condo owner still must have their own insurance to cover the interior of the unit.

Also note that a lot of the charges go to the professional management company who oversees the complex. I owned a condo in a large complex and when we had our own management, our charges were reasonable. But a lot of the neighbors did not like the manager or staff that was working there and fought for hiring a professional company as well. The company they hired had lobbied hard to get in and did things like have the background of the manager checked and questioned his integrity. He eventually got sick of the constant attacks and walked away so that opened the door for the professional company to come in and take over. Guess what happened, condo fees skyrocketed. Assessment charges were added to cover capital improvements. Maybe this would have happened anyway but maybe it wouldn't have if they kept the professionals out. Anyway, I still think that is high since the complex does not have much in the way of amenities to maintain. JMHO, Jay

Old 05-23-2016, 06:43 PM

11 posts, read 11,415 times
I noticed that Mosswood condos don't have a mgmt company and they're lower, 300s I think. I drove through there and they look like they're well maintained with nice landscaping. The units are small (formerly apartments), but they look cute.

I know my mom would love a small ranch house but I just don't think it's realistic at her age. Although, I have seen people landscape their yards in ways that doesn't require a lot of mowing. Who knows, If I fell in love with a house, I might consider it.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I noticed that Mosswood condos don't have a mgmt company and they're lower, 300s I think. I drove through there and they look like they're well maintained with nice landscaping. The units are small (formerly apartments), but they look cute.

I know my mom would love a small ranch house but I just don't think it's realistic at her age. Although, I have seen people landscape their yards in ways that doesn't require a lot of mowing. Who knows, If I fell in love with a house, I might consider it.
Keep in mind that $500 per month buys a lot of lawn maintenance. A small yard that is mowed once a week is about $60. Add in fertilizing and snow removal, the total is lower than the $6,000 per year you would pay in a condo.

Mosswood is a nice complex but they are small and very apartment like. They are wedged in between the train station and I-95 so there may be some noise issues. Still it is super convenient to the Center and the train station which is why it is so popular and pricey. Jay

Old 05-25-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind that $500 per month buys a lot of lawn maintenance. A small yard that is mowed once a week is about $60. Add in fertilizing and snow removal, the total is lower than the $6,000 per year you would pay in a condo.
Again, condo fees include more than just lawn maintenance

Old 05-25-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Again, condo fees include more than just lawn maintenance
I know but that is the majority of what they do. They maintain the exterior of the building (paint, repairs, etc.) and plow the snow as well. They maintain any amenities like a clubhouse, pool or tennis court. They pay for lighting of common areas and taxes on common facilities but not sure what else they provide.

Woodfield does have a pool, tennis court and a small clubhouse. If a person is not interested in those features though, it does not make sense to be in a complex and have to pay for them. $6,000 per year is a lot to pay for just exterior, lawn and driveway care. It is a personal choice that may or may not be right for the OP. Jay

Old 05-25-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I know but that is the majority of what they do. They maintain the exterior of the building (paint, repairs, etc.) and plow the snow as well. They maintain any amenities like a clubhouse, pool or tennis court. They pay for lighting of common areas and taxes on common facilities but not sure what else they provide.

Woodfield does have a pool, tennis court and a small clubhouse. If a person is not interested in those features though, it does not make sense to be in a complex and have to pay for them. $6,000 per year is a lot to pay for just exterior, lawn and driveway care. It is a personal choice that may or may not be right for the OP. Jay
They will also include Insurance and Flood Insurance (if applicable), at least the one's I have owned and everyone else I know who owns a condo did. Maybe not these particular ones mentioned, don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: