Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 07:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
Oh boy... That statement makes me question if you are going to be an impartial organizer of a town tournament
It appears Orange is destroying Southbury which is a complete joke. Southbury is way more pleasing to the eye and has a beautifully done shopping area, whereas Orange is as bland as it gets, below average housing stock, and a hideous Post Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:50 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
It appears Orange is destroying Southbury which is a complete joke. Southbury is way more pleasing to the eye and has a beautifully done shopping area, whereas Orange is as bland as it gets, below average housing stock, and a hideous Post Rd.
Orange has Yale, has amenities in the area like big box stores, the mall, near Milford/New Haven/Bridgeport, and large housing developments. I choose Southbury over Orange any day quiet relaxed in the woods. Little local own shops and restaurants right next to the highway. Beautiful state park and bridle trail up there. Soon to nils a small playhouse/movie theater in Southbury.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:29 PM

2,175 posts, read 1,641,303 times
Quote:
LOL are you being sarcastic? Did you actually count the votes? Southbury is leading 3 points at the moment.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:16 AM

33 posts, read 33,443 times
Cheshire vs Greenwich

Wallingford vs Woodbridge

New Milford vs Stonington

New Haven vs Essex

Farmington vs Sherman

Wilton vs Fairfield

Westport vs Branford

Kent vs Westbrook

East Lyme vs Plainville

Guilford vs Glastonbury - Let's put this debate to bed. Hometown pride!

Monroe vs Newtown

Orange vs Southbury

Ridgefield vs Bethel

Weston vs Old Saybrook

Redding vs Canton

New Canaan vs Old Lyme

Darien vs Milford

New Fairfield vs Shelton

Trumbull vs Litchfield

Washington vs Avon

Chester vs Madison

Old 04-20-2016, 08:30 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
LOL are you being sarcastic? Did you actually count the votes? Southbury is leading 3 points at the moment.
Yes.
Lots of close matchups, but that one should not be.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:05 AM

678 posts, read 847,077 times
Must be a handful to vote for Wilton and not for Fairfield. Wilton is much easier to get around rest of the county, imo. Local and backroads to New Canaan, North Stamford, Weston, Redding, Ridgefield, and Westport. Merrit Parkway to anywhere else faster and Route 7 for Norwalk/Danbury. Sounds pretty solid to me. Better schools than Fairfield as well. Fairfield has train, better retail, and beaches I imagine.

Personally, I prefer being as far away as possible from I-95 (Greenwich to BPT), but that's just me.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:55 AM

2,175 posts, read 1,641,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Must be a handful to vote for Wilton and not for Fairfield. Wilton is much easier to get around rest of the county, imo. Local and backroads to New Canaan, North Stamford, Weston, Redding, Ridgefield, and Westport. Merrit Parkway to anywhere else faster and Route 7 for Norwalk/Danbury. Sounds pretty solid to me. Better schools than Fairfield as well. Fairfield has train, better retail, and beaches I imagine.

Personally, I prefer being as far away as possible from I-95 (Greenwich to BPT), but that's just me.
Wilton has better schools than Fairfield? I think there is a bit of bias here. They are about the same.

Schools in CT don't get much better than the upscale towns in southern Fairfield County.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:21 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Wilton has better schools than Fairfield? I think there is a bit of bias here. They are about the same.

Schools in CT don't get much better than the upscale towns in southern Fairfield County.
What about ?

They rank 8-9 out of 10

Wealthy New Haven suburbs: Woodbridge, Guilford, Madison, Middlebury, Oxford, Cheshire

Wealthy Hartford suburbs: Glastonbury, Avon, Simsbury, Farmington, Granby

Runner up: Old Saybrook, Essex, Lyme, Stonington, Old Lyme

Old 04-20-2016, 12:38 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
The shopping areas are nicer in Southbury but I wouldn't agree with you on that section of Post Road being hideous. It is fine. Average shopping district for CT. West Haven section is what I would call hideous...

Housing stock is not what I would call below average either. There are plenty of nice homes, historic homes too. Some beautiful park land, farms, and backroads in Orange that are underappreciated by those that judge it solely on Route 1. Also, some of the best schools in the state and near a lot more things and activities than Southbury, including a more convenient trip to NYC.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:40 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Not in the same league, not even close, economically or aesthetically - coast and interior.
The brownish LI sound water is maybe a smidgen clearer in Branford, but that's about it.
I guess if by aesthetics you mean impressive homes?

Branford has far less traffic, is far more affordable, and Westport has nothing on the coast as beautiful as the Thimble Islands, sorry. The whole Stony Creek and Pine Orchard section is gorgeous.

Not everyone wants a crowded downtown full of chains. Branford's center is much more charming.

The towns are very close for my vote, but to write off Branford like that isn't fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut