Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 02:13 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times

Advertisements

What happened to Norwich? Gotta love my hometown even though I've been gone almost 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 03:00 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
I don't want to specify which and start a war but some of the choices so far are absolutely outrageous. New rule should be don't vote either of a pair if you've only been to one of them.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:02 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,643,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
i don't want to specify which and start a war but some of the choices so far are absolutely outrageous. New rule should be don't vote either of a pair if you've only been to one of them.
LOL, if we had that rule, there would be so many draws and possibly 0-0 for some of the fixtures at deadline. So seriously we can't have that rule because I think if we did, most people here would not be able to vote in most fixtures, which is exactly what I and probably most other users don't want.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
What happened to Norwich? Gotta love my hometown even though I've been gone almost 30 years.
Norwich is a little behind, but not out of the competition yet though. Still time and probably not too many votes needed for Norwich to come back. I can check the exact result for you as it stands when I get back home.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:05 AM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
Norwalk vs Orange

Stamford vs Guilford (Only cause North Stamford is beautiful. I dislike downtown, Shippan/Cove, West End)

New Fairfield vs Beacon Falls

Bethel vs Hartford

Monroe vs Roxbury

Danbury vs Milford (I think Danbury is better but people on this board are biased towards the coast)

Ellington vs Old Lyme

Madison vs Oxford

East Haddam vs Redding

Southington vs Canton

Stonington vs East Granby

Bridgeport vs Farmington

Weston vs Rocky Hill

Pomfret vs Chester

Shelton vs Cornwall

Ridgefield vs Potland

Prospect vs Fairfield

Avon vs South Windsor

Litchfield vs Burlington

Newtown vs Middlebury

East Windsor vs Southbury

New London vs Darien

Plainville vs Bolton

New Canaan vs Norwich

Clinton vs New Haven

Essex vs Salisbury

Westbrook vs Brookfield

Killingworth vs Kent

Wilton vs Barkhamsted

Glastonbury vs Griswold

Stratford vs Washington

Scotland vs Sherman

Old Saybrook vs Wethersfield

Suffield vs Greenwich

East Lyme vs Marlborough

Westport vs Simsbury

Middletown vs Columbia

New Milford vs Newington

Enfield vs Branford

Harwinton vs Woodbridge

Granby vs Cheshire

Seymour vs Wallingford

Easton vs Trumbull (Oh, battle of Greater Bridgeport towns. I prefer Redding when it comes to rural, tbh).

Old 04-12-2016, 08:10 AM

Why does this board favor Milford over Danbury?! I don't get it. The coast is just mediocre, imo. The coast only starts to get good at Madison and eastwards. (Shrugs)

Old 04-12-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Why does this board favor Milford over Danbury?! I don't get it. The coast is just mediocre, imo. The coast only starts to get good at Madison and eastwards. (Shrugs)
I agree with you about the coast. Anyway I love Milford, but the reason actually has nothing really to do with the coast, but its probably the most convenient town of the whole state. There are tons of plazas, a mall, all these chain restaurants (fast food, and sit-down places), a hospital, a train station, everything.

Also in my opinion Milford is the only town in CT you can really live in without a car, because all CT cities are not major cities, so still quite a few amenities take a while to get to.

Schools are not amazing, but are pretty good in Milford as well with a lot of extracurricular activities. The suburb seems a very little on the upscale side, but not too expensive and I see tons of middle working class people there.

All of these things allow me to rate Milford a really high town, and for me its nothing to do with the coast at all.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:29 AM

Interesting. I can make a similar case for Danbury, however!

- Better mall (In my opinion, only Westfarms rivals us in the whole state)
- Chain Restaurants of every kind
- Car dealerships just like Milford (With the exception of Tesla) if this even matters
- Better hospital
- Train station (I agree not as direct as the New Haven line) and nearby Brewster has a more direct train station to GCT if need be (75 mins - 7:15 A.M train. Comparable to Fairfield)
- Schools are decent. I'd reckon they're about the same. Better scores in Milford but slightly smaller classes and more computers per student for Danbury. Opportunities are abundant in Danbury High compared to Jonathan Law. I can personally attest this.
- Great connection to NY state/684, Norwalk, Waterbury, Hartford, as well as upstate Connecticut.
- Can be upscale (West, Southwest End) but great immigrant/middle class population in Danbury
- Crime is LOWER in Danbury even though it has ~1.5x the population more than Milford. Greater poverty percentage, too in Danbury
- We have a DMV? Lol
- Many apartment rentals and a better job market than Milford.
- Government wise, Danbury is doing better than Milford and Norwalk when it comes Revenue/Expenditures. Not too shabby for a Democrat city.
- Local University
- Neighboring towns are very pristine and charming as opposed to Milford where Orange is nice, but Stratford can be questionable and West Haven looks...ugly, lol

With that said, Milford is NOT a bad city. I just think Danbury is better, that's all. And yes, I admit. I am biased overall about Upper FFC.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I can make a similar case for Danbury, however!

- Better mall (In my opinion, only Westfarms rivals us in the whole state)
- Chain Restaurants of every kind
- Car dealerships just like Milford (With the exception of Tesla) if this even matters
- Better hospital
- Train station (I agree not as direct as the New Haven line) and nearby Brewster has a more direct train station to GCT if need be (75 mins - 7:15 A.M train. Comparable to Fairfield)
- Schools are decent. I'd reckon they're about the same. Better scores in Milford but slightly smaller classes and more computers per student for Danbury. Opportunities are abundant in Danbury High compared to Jonathan Law. I can personally attest this.
- Great connection to NY state/684, Norwalk, Waterbury, Hartford, as well as upstate Connecticut.
- Can be upscale (West, Southwest End) but great immigrant/middle class population in Danbury
- Crime is LOWER in Danbury even though it has ~1.5x the population more than Milford. Greater poverty percentage, too in Danbury
- We have a DMV? Lol
- Many apartment rentals and a better job market than Milford.
- Government wise, Danbury is doing better than Milford and Norwalk when it comes Revenue/Expenditures. Not too shabby for a Democrat city.
- Local University
- Neighboring towns are very pristine and charming as opposed to Milford where Orange is nice, but Stratford can be questionable and West Haven looks...ugly, lol

With that said, Milford is NOT a bad city. I just think Danbury is better, that's all. And yes, I admit. I am biased overall about Upper FFC.
Danbury has a way more urban feeling than Milford though. Milford is seriously flat out suburban. Danbury is more like a city, and Milford has more space.

Stratford is a good town in my opinion, very working class and friendly people. Orange is really nice as well. You are right West Haven is ugly.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:08 AM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Quote:

Because there is nothing to do in Danbury!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut