Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,153 times

Advertisements

Hi all, forgive my naivety if these questions sound lame. I am planning to live in US for next 2-3 years on an official assignment. My employer will sponsor travel of my family as well how I am very worried now about my son's education. He is in Std 9 (CBSE) and I am not at all sure whether he would be able to adjust to school life in US. Also, I am totally new to US education system so where do I get details on Schools in Hartford, how do Indian School Standards map to US Grade (meaning to which Grade should he get admitted to corresponding to Std 9), are there admission tests that he needs to pass, what is the fee structure etc. Appreciate help from fellow Indians who were able to move with similar circumstances (kids in teens).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 05:52 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,955,909 times
Hi Chuck - welcome to the US. Your son will likely have to take some sort of test to assess the quality of his American English.

And, before entering a school here, he will also be tested to see his level for math and language arts (aka, English) - however, these tests will likely be administered to any students that are new to a school district, no matter if they're moving from India, Indiana or from a neighboring town.

There are several towns in the Hartford area that have a good-sized Indian population - Glastonbury, Avon, Rocky Hill, South Windsor and a few others. All have good schools, but Avon and Glastonbury are considered the best by most, with South Windsor also very good.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:00 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,753,223 times
Welcome. There is no fee structure or tuition if you choose public schools. . Your son will go to public schools in the town in which you live and these are free to residents.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:11 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckde View Post
Hi all, forgive my naivety if these questions sound lame. I am planning to live in US for next 2-3 years on an official assignment. My employer will sponsor travel of my family as well how I am very worried now about my son's education. He is in Std 9 (CBSE) and I am not at all sure whether he would be able to adjust to school life in US. Also, I am totally new to US education system so where do I get details on Schools in Hartford, how do Indian School Standards map to US Grade (meaning to which Grade should he get admitted to corresponding to Std 9), are there admission tests that he needs to pass, what is the fee structure etc. Appreciate help from fellow Indians who were able to move with similar circumstances (kids in teens).
Welcome to Connecticut. First understand this, the City of Hartford itself is small in area (about 125,000 people in only 17 square miles) and is the center of a larger (about 1.4 million people) metropolitan area. The City of Hartford is the urban core of the region so it has most of the typical American urban area issues (poverty, crime, poorly performing schools, etc.). Surrounding Hartford are a number of independent towns that are suburbs of the city. This is where most people who want good schools live. Each town provides free public education to its residents and each has its own set curriculum and reputation. Generally the towns with the better schools are considered more desirable and thus are more expensive.

The top towns in the Hartford region generally are West Hartford, Farmington, Avon, Simsbury and Glastonbury. As NewJeffCT noted, South Windsor and Rocky Hill are also considered to have good schools.

West Hartford is located directly west of the City of Hartford. It is a semi-dense suburban community that is very diverse. I am sure your family would be comfortable living there. The other towns are less dense, more dependent on having a car and further from downtown Hartford. I do know that West Hartford, Glastonbury and Rocky Hill have decent sized Indian populations but still do not expect there to be a lot. Your son should be able to fit in in any of these communities.

As noted the school system will likely give him a test to see at what grade level they should place him in. Do not worry about this. It is done all the time in the more diverse communities in the area. He will be fine. Good luck with your move. Jay

Old 04-08-2016, 06:18 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
You and your family will be most comfortable in a town with good schools, an Indian food store, and a South Asian community. West Hartford would be great. Add Newington to your list. Beware of making your kid the only recent immigrant in his class, which could be the case in some of the other towns mentioned. Don't worry about the school transition. Any of these towns will handle it well. School population, and hence the safety and quality of the school, is heavily dependent upon which town you live in. Public school is free everywhere in the USA. In some towns it is very good. Private schools are religious or secular, and are mostly expensive.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:23 AM

If your spouse doesn't drive, west hartford your best choice. Also parts of Newington are relatively close to a town center, library, supermarket, and very good Indian food store.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:42 AM

3 posts, read 2,153 times
Thanks so much folks, I am quite relieved to read your experiences and suggestions.

I did a reading on US education system and it seems they too have a K1-12 system. But does it mean that how he fares in the Language/Maths test will decide which grade he is admitted to? That would be scary, because I wont like him to get downgraded to say Class 8th. Also, how about other issues that we keep hearing about (bullying etc), are they as much prevalent in West Hartford?

Old 04-09-2016, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 4,114 times
Quote:
But does it mean that how he fares in the Language/Maths test will decide which grade he is admitted to? That would be scary, because I wont like him to get downgraded to say Class 8th.
Even scarier would be to have him placed in a grade where he cannot comprehend the language of instruction, yes?

I lived in West Germany as a child, and did find myself demoted one grade when I entered a German school. It was a little embarrassing, but ultimately was the best decision to allow me to continue my education. Almost 30 years later, it doesn't matter at all.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 AM

163 posts, read 240,464 times
This is English to English though. Very different than English to German.

I think that's amazing that you were able to do so well in German school by only dropping one grade level. I just can't imagine trying to learn in a completely different language.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much folks, I am quite relieved to read your experiences and suggestions.

I did a reading on US education system and it seems they too have a K1-12 system. But does it mean that how he fares in the Language/Maths test will decide which grade he is admitted to? That would be scary, because I wont like him to get downgraded to say Class 8th. Also, how about other issues that we keep hearing about (bullying etc), are they as much prevalent in West Hartford?
He will start 9th grade, unless he is younger than the appropriate age for it (14 or so), and needs a lot of help with English. Frankly, if he is younger than 15, and not completely fluent in English, I would advise you to have him start in 8th grade here, to get his English fluent, and to help him socially. But they won't hold him back if he will be 15 by September.

I don't think your child would be likely to be bullied in West Hartford or Newington, just because of ethnicity. If anything, it might be more likely that he'd run into more issues in a district that is predominantly White upper middle class, such as Simsbury or Avon, and probably not even there. West Hartford is by far the most ethnically and racially diverse district of all the districts that have good schools. I have not heard of any instances of bullying for ethnic or racial differences in West Hartford. There have been instances of bullying of children with autistic spectrum disorders, who have poor social skills, but this is absolutely not unique to West Hartford (unfortunately) - it happens everywhere to these kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut