Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 09:15 AM

163 posts, read 240,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSea View Post
We are not exactly in the same position with Vicki419 but we are close so I didn't want to start a new thread. My husband found a job in Pratt & Whitney in Middletown so we will move to CT probably next month. We have two and half years old daughter so I need to find a good day care for her and also my sister is leaving with us and she wants to study in Community College and she doesn't have a car so she has to use public transportation. I am looking for a right place like family friendly, safe, not too isolated, having public transportation and I like living in a walking distance to Downtown and if we can find a place close to ocean with 20 min driving it would be awesome. Do you have any reccomendations which city would be good for us?
You could look in Plainville. The transportation would be limited but they do have busses to the local community college (Tunxis) depending on where in town you are located. Make sure to check on specific locations. The ride to Middletown would be fairly smooth down rt72 to rt 9. The public schools are good.

If you look right in Middletown, it would meet most of your needs but I don't think the public schools are the best. They do have a good community college though. Check Durham and Middlefield to see if they have transportation to the college (Middlesex Community College). The public school for those towns is much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 09:20 AM

163 posts, read 240,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki419 View Post
Wow thank you for all of your responses! Most likely I will end up quitting and finding work in CT. Hubby works full time so I think less travel for him the better. We are noticing it's harder to find multi family homes that fit our "ideal" location/yard/privacy and definitely in more busy areas. I know we will have to settle on something. We are planning on moving into the multi family and renting out the other side/unit. I found some in Berlin, any more thoughts on this town?
Berlin is a great town. I can't think of any bad areas. Schools are good, highways access is good. Access to shopping is also good- really no issues. It does not have any real downtown type are. It has an area with stores, but no downtown feel at all.

Meriden has some VERY nice areas, but you probably won't find two family homes in those areas and the school system is not great at all. The city is struggling in general. You would be much better off right in Middletown than in Meriden, IMO.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:31 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Berlin is nice can be expensive, but can find decent ranches under $200K. Berlins' downtown is just a strip of local businesses, a grocery store, Dunkin Donuts, and a barber. Does have a historic section. They opened a new trail system. Your close to Middletown, Newington, and Southington. Each has some good amenities to utilize. Newington has the Pike big box stores, movie theater, motels, go kart racing, bowling, mini golf, restaurants, gyms, and grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut