Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 10:53 AM

610 posts, read 528,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
As far as St. Pete heat.....while I have never spent an entire year in Florida I did regularly go down to visit my grandparents for a a few weeks every summer growing up. People say, "You went to Florida in July!??". But I remember coming back home to CT in August and feeling much more uncomfortable than I ever felt down there. They had central air, a condo on the beach, and a pool. In my house in CT we had none of the above--just fans and one window AC. Heat is only a problem if you don't have ways to beat it. But our cold, dark, dreary winters.....there's no way to beat that. Other than maybe with alcohol. Or moving out of state.
Reaction to weather is very personal. I don't find winters in CT so cold or dreary (although I wish there was more light), in fact nothing is more pleasant than a cold sunny day with fresh snow. I go out every day in winter (except in blizzards) and make sure I get a good walk in. That's a key to winter weather--get out and get active. But there are days in summer that are too hot for me or the sun is too strong and I stay inside (my house with no A/C) or wait until after sunset to go out. If I ever moved to Florida (which sounds pretty good otherwise) I'd have to have an alternative for summer I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 04:35 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
As far as St. Pete heat.....while I have never spent an entire year in Florida I did regularly go down to visit my grandparents for a a few weeks every summer growing up. People say, "You went to Florida in July!??". But I remember coming back home to CT in August and feeling much more uncomfortable than I ever felt down there. They had central air, a condo on the beach, and a pool. In my house in CT we had none of the above--just fans and one window AC. Heat is only a problem if you don't have ways to beat it. But our cold, dark, dreary winters.....there's no way to beat that. Other than maybe with alcohol. Or moving out of state.
Of course the heat is also a problem if you have a yard to maintain or work outside. And in Connjecticut the heat and humidity break. Florida is is pretty much hot and humid from April to October and never really dries out. Definitely not for me. Jay

Old 06-03-2016, 10:54 AM

9,849 posts, read 7,600,593 times
So maybe I awoke to a sour pus mood. However, CT has too many people, too crowded, high taxes, high cost of living, too little to do, very few job opportunities, and winter. Additionally, schools are so so. You pay for the quality of school and unless working to the bone or a high paying speciality field you are living in a high taxed city in CT with average schools.

People are a mix of nice and not so nice to quiet. I do enjoy the quiet of people not bothering you about your business here. I do enjoy the NW and Eastern side of the State. However, winter's are too harsh and prefer a milder and shorter winter. My ideal seasons be a warm/muggy summer, a rainy spring, a crisp dry fall, and a rainy/slushy winter no ice a max of 20 inches of snow.

Living here 28 year's and probably another 3 more. I probably will come back to CT eventually, but need to explore the US.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,283,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
So maybe I awoke to a sour pus mood. However, CT has too many people, too crowded, high taxes, high cost of living, too little to do, very few job opportunities, and winter. Additionally, schools are so so. You pay for the quality of school and unless working to the bone or a high paying speciality field you are living in a high taxed city in CT with average schools.

People are a mix of nice and not so nice to quiet. I do enjoy the quiet of people not bothering you about your business here. I do enjoy the NW and Eastern side of the State. However, winter's are too harsh and prefer a milder and shorter winter.

Living here 28 year's and probably another 3 more. I probably will come back to CT eventually, but need to explore the US.
I've explored nearly 90% of the U.S. and Connecticut has something special that not a lot of places have. Nearly every metropolitan area is expanding its sprawl and population is growing at a rate where taxes are continuing to increase to compensate for all the growth. While I do admit that taxes are excessive here, look at the bright side. We aren't growing in population (which is a good and bad thing) so that means that it won't get more crowded and our traffic will not get worse. Studies have shown our traffic has gotten worse on our highways only because surrounding states are growing. These out of state drivers need to commute through CT often so more drivers are expected. Local roads I don't find much change within the past 5 years. Thank god we're not in NYC or the Boston area where our taxes will probably increase while our traffic gets worse, gets more crowded, more forests and natural beauty gone due to construction. Our construction is limited because growth is minimal. I find that to be a good thing. People who live in other metropolitan areas will eventually get frustrated to overcrowding and then look for a more quiet lifestyle with a high quality of life. That's where the Hartford area and New Haven area come into mind. We have a great mix of urban, suburban, and rural life. Many areas around the country will have suburban areas turned into urban environments while rural areas will turn suburban. If we were growing like the average metropolitan area then Glastonbury would eventually be like West Hartford and Ellington would be Vernon. Our communities are going to hardly change which I like!

Last edited by HumpDay; 06-03-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:

People are a mix of nice and not so nice to quiet. I do enjoy the quiet of people not bothering you about your business here. I do enjoy the NW and Eastern side of the State. However, winter's are too harsh and prefer a milder and shorter winter. My ideal seasons be a warm/muggy summer, a rainy spring, a crisp dry fall, and a rainy/slushy winter no ice a max of 20 inches of snow.

Yeah, it does sound like a sour puss mood. While there is not much I say to change some of the things you mention (weather, taxes) I do disagree with you on several points. First is schools. If you think the schools here are "so-so", then you are in for a really rude awakening when you move to other parts of the country. Connecticut schools are among the best in the country by any standard even in our cities. And yes Connecticut is expensive but remember wages here are generally higher so they compensate for that cost of living difference. And finally as I have said here MANY times, if you are bored here then it is you and not for lack of things to do. Not many other places in the country where you can be near mountains, big cities, seashore, rural charm and TONS of entertainment options. So if you are bored here, just go spend some time in another part of the country and see what it is like. Sure at first you will think it is great because there are new things to do but soon you will grow bored with those few things and get restless again and start complaining that there is nothing to do. Jay

Old 06-03-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I've explored nearly 90% of the U.S. and Connecticut has something special that not a lot of places have. Nearly every metropolitan area is expanding its sprawl and population is growing at a rate where taxes are continuing to increase to compensate for all the growth. While I do admit that taxes are excessive here, look at the bright side. We aren't growing in population (which is a good and bad thing) so that means that it won't get more crowded and our traffic will not get worse. Studies have shown our traffic has gotten worse on our highways only because surrounding states are growing. These out of state drivers need to commute through CT often so more drivers are expected. Local roads I don't find much change within the past 5 years. Thank god we're not in NYC or the Boston area where our taxes will probably increase while our traffic gets worse, gets more crowded, more forests and natural beauty gone due to construction. Our construction is limited because growth is minimal. I find that to be a good thing. People who live in other metropolitan areas will eventually get frustrated to overcrowding and then look for a more quiet lifestyle with a high quality of life. That's where the Hartford area and New Haven area come into mind. We have a great mix of urban, suburban, and rural life. Many areas around the country will have suburban areas turned into urban environments while rural areas will turn suburban. If we were growing like the average metropolitan area then Glastonbury would eventually be like West Hartford and Ellington would be Vernon. Our communities are going to hardly change which I like!
There are? Have not seen them. Studies actually show traffic has gone down in our state as well as most of the country in general. Some of this may be due to the recession but still there is nothing that I know of that shows out-of-state traffic has grown here. Jay

Old 06-03-2016, 11:52 AM

9,849 posts, read 7,600,593 times
When I say schools are so so. I mean low wage people who can't aggies the $300 houses in the high concentrated job areas of Fairfield County and in the Farmington Valley opt for places like Waterbury and Bridgeport to live. The school's are what you put into but are comparable to other places in the US.

With outdoor activities you done one you dine it all. A bigger state like Texas, Virginia, or Maine have larger state parks to camp, rxplore, hike, and swim.

To live in CT you need to be making ay least $40K a year.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
When I say schools are so so. I mean low wage people who can't aggies the $300 houses in the high concentrated job areas of Fairfield County and in the Farmington Valley opt for places like Waterbury and Bridgeport to live. The school's are what you put into but are comparable to other places in the US.

With outdoor activities you done one you dine it all. A bigger state like Texas, Virginia, or Maine have larger state parks to camp, rxplore, hike, and swim.

To live in CT you need to be making ay least $40K a year.
Even in cities like Bridgeport and Waterbury a child can get a decent education. And honestly, even in those bigger states, don't you have to drive hours to these parks? It is not like they are right out your back door if you live in a major employment center. What is stopping you from driving to Maine or New York or Pennsylvania to hike, swim, camp or explore? Again, there is a lot here you can do but too often people are just too lazy to do it. Jay

Old 06-03-2016, 01:47 PM

617 posts, read 533,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Of course the heat is also a problem if you have a yard to maintain or work outside. And in Connjecticut the heat and humidity break. Florida is is pretty much hot and humid from April to October and never really dries out. Definitely not for me. Jay
There's not much difference in humidity in eastern coastal states, most those states climates officially typed as "humid". Florida is much hotter in warm part of year, yes, which makes humidity feel worse, but you get more breeze from open ocean, and you cannot beat those beaches open year around and no income tax.
If I were to choose between living in south eastern Florida vs CT, FL for me would be no brainier.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:51 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,385,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
If I were to choose between living in south eastern Florida vs CT, FL for me would be no brainier.
I have lived all over the country, including Florida, and I chose to live in CT. It's a big country- good thing we don't all want to live in the same place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut