U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:54 PM

505 posts, read 355,837 times

Advertisements

Newer article with some good demographic information. I highlighted some key numbers but there is more in the link.

Older Latinos Leaving CT Add To Ongoing Demographic Shift

In 2014, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, 82,000 people moved to Connecticut from other states. That same year, more than 96,000 moved out. Population analysts have noticed that a trending portion of this out-migration is retiring Latinos, who seem to be blazing a particular path south, to Florida.

“I do not know why older Hispanics are leaving Connecticut,” said Orlando J. Rodriguez, an associate legislative analyst with the Latino and Puerto Rican Affairs Commission and the former director of the Connecticut State Data Center. “But the Hispanic population age 65+ is forecast to grow by about 40,000 from roughly 27,000, in 2014, to about 67,000, in 2030. Calculations from the 2008 projections suggest that there may be an ongoing exodus of older Hispanics from Connecticut because the population of Hispanics age 65+ should be larger but is being reduced possibly by out-migration.”

Last year, Florida received 12,944 Connecticans,

Older Latinos Leaving CT Add To Ongoing Demographic Shift | ctlatinonews.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 07:18 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,105,231 times
One of the hardest working demographics is leaving CT. Oh em gee, I'm so shocked. People go where jobs are, latinos are the newest immigrants and 1st gen americans, I'm surprised they didn't leave sooner. Most of the ones at retirement age likely can't afford to remain here because they were largely blue collar immigrants. No surprises there either. CT driving away people, particularly the ones who work, or the companies that employ, does NOT surprise me anymore. It's the new norm. CT in 2050 is going to look like alabama on paper. FFC will be safe, but only because it is a suburb of NYC.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:25 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,759,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
One of the hardest working demographics is leaving CT. Oh em gee, I'm so shocked. People go where jobs are, latinos are the newest immigrants and 1st gen americans, I'm surprised they didn't leave sooner. Most of the ones at retirement age likely can't afford to remain here because they were largely blue collar immigrants. No surprises there either. CT driving away people, particularly the ones who work, or the companies that employ, does NOT surprise me anymore. It's the new norm. CT in 2050 is going to look like alabama on paper. FFC will be safe, but only because it is a suburb of NYC.
Not surprised you're the first one to comment on an anti-ct thread....

"People go where the jobs are".... actually in this case, and in most cases, people are going where the warm weather is, and the snow isn't. Sorry to burst your CT hating bubble..

Old 04-20-2016, 08:16 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,708,302 times
Older people in general are leaving CT in droves. It will only get worse. The largest age group in the state are people born from 1955-1965. The state boomed in the late 50's and 60's as the states population grew by nearly 1 million in 20 years which doesn't seem a lot but in a small state with 3,590,000, that's a good amount. That means that 1/3 of states population is from a 20 year period. Once people in this age group (like myself) retire then more people will leave. I can only think of 2 people that plan to stay in the state once they retire and that's my son and his wife. The rest that I know which include co-workers, friends, and family members ALL plan to move out of the state once they retire. Though many states in the Northeast are in the same boat. Massachusetts and New York have a high rate of people moving out and guess what? These are all expensive states. In a economy where the COL keeps increasing and the job market is pretty dull, people are going to shift to places where they can save more and be guaranteed a job. Many people like myself only stay in CT because of family and a job.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post

"People go where the jobs are".... actually in this case, and in most cases, people are going where the warm weather is, and the snow isn't. Sorry to burst your CT hating bubble..
yup. Snow. snow is why CT is dead, can't pay its bills, can't keep the companies it already has and has one of the highest tax burdens with little in return...MA has "snow". CO has "snow". Interesting. Why would so many people leave to go there? Oh true, for "more snow". That damn snow is always at the root of the problem. Never did trust the stuff...

People are leaving because of transparency. The Internet has made it easier and cheaper than ever to discover what's out there. It doesn't take much to learn that CT has been feeding them lines of turd for decades.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post

But states that are very cold like Minnesota, Washington, and Oregon are growing at a fast rate. Warm weather is certainly a reason especially when you're older but the job market is a big deal however, Why do you think North Dakota is booming ATM? It's certainly not because of the weather, it's because of the job market over there. You're pretty much guaranteed a good paying job especially in the oil industry.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:23 PM

138 posts, read 93,006 times
Its tough to say this without sounding like a jerk, but why is it so bad that older, retired people are moving out of state?

Old 04-20-2016, 08:30 PM

10 posts, read 10,370 times
It's the cycle of life. Young people go where they can find a good paying job to support themselves and their family. Old people go for health reasons. None of it matters anyway. Your former dreamboat low tax dream places like NC, GA, and parts of TX are being flooded with A holes from the northeast . It's only a matter of time before their taxes get up to the levels of CT and other NE states. It's already beginning in NC.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blargrifth View Post
Its tough to say this without sounding like a jerk, but why is it so bad that older, retired people are moving out of state?
Retirees, young people, blue collar white collar, billionaires, corporations...Latinos. No one demo is the end of the world, the problem is systemic. The canaries are pouring out of the mine and so everyone else is following. And for good reason,

Old 04-20-2016, 08:52 PM

854 posts, read 1,072,738 times
Is this about Latinos or Hispanics? I believe the latter term does not include Brazilians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut