Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 08:38 PM

660 posts, read 658,756 times

Advertisements

A friend and I are attending and volunteering at the Bernie Sanders rally in New Haven on Sunday. Before we go, we would like to enjoy a nice dinner. We would like either an American or Italian cuisine and we do not want to be waiting an hour to be seated. Where would be a good place for us to eat dinner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
You've got over 100 restaurants to choose from. You might have to be more specific. Did you try Yelp?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:05 PM

660 posts, read 658,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You've got over 100 restaurants to choose from. You might have to be more specific. Did you try Yelp?
Yes I did look at a list of some of the best Italian and American restaurants. For us two people, we don't want to spend over $100 including the tip, want to be able to get the food somewhat quickly and not wait an hour, and be able to walk in right away without waiting and without a reservation.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:21 PM

138 posts, read 116,288 times
Swedish meatballs at Ikea are good and cheap. If you want something more representative of New Haven there are numerous Italian joints in Wooster Square. Both are easy to get to from I-95.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:45 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
I don't have any restaurant suggestions, but would like to offer some advice. Downtown New Haven doesn't have a lot of parking and meters run till late at night (after the 7pm rally). Wooster Square, where good Italian restaurants are, is having a Cherry Blossom Festival on Sunday. I plan to go and will park on Hamilton St., near an exit off I-91 and walk a couple of blocks. The festival should wrap up at 5pm. If you can park on Hamilton St., you can walk 3 or 4 blocks to Wooster St., eat and then walk about 4 or 5 blocks to New Haven Green, on Chapel St. If you can get there around 5pm, you would probably have time to eat and walk to the Green. I am assuming a walk would be doable for both of you.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:28 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I don't have any restaurant suggestions, but would like to offer some advice. Downtown New Haven doesn't have a lot of parking and meters run till late at night (after the 7pm rally). Wooster Square, where good Italian restaurants are, is having a Cherry Blossom Festival on Sunday. I plan to go and will park on Hamilton St., near an exit off I-91 and walk a couple of blocks. The festival should wrap up at 5pm. If you can park on Hamilton St., you can walk 3 or 4 blocks to Wooster St., eat and then walk about 4 or 5 blocks to New Haven Green, on Chapel St. If you can get there around 5pm, you would probably have time to eat and walk to the Green. I am assuming a walk would be doable for both of you.
Parking is free on meters on Sunday.

OP, there's not going to be big wait on Sunday unless you go somewhere very popular, like Caseus or Pepe's.

New Haven has some of the best pizza in the country. You could try BAR, which is near the rally. Da Legna doesn't have too much of a wait, and the have Italian food along with great pizza. Modern, Sally's, and Pepe's are the "big 3" legendary pizza places and might have a wait.

Skappo has authentic northern Italian food. Roia is sort of a French/Italian mix, but very good and an incredible historic space. Zinc a little pricier but good creative food.

Prime 16 has excellent burgers, might have a small wait though. Rudy's and Elm City Social also have solid American/bar food. L'Orcio is very good Italian.

The pizza in Wooster Square is amazing but I've never been impressed by the Italian food. Guess it depends on your standards.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
If you had one night in New Haven the answer is easy: Sallys or Pepes.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:54 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
If you had one night in New Haven the answer is easy: Sallys or Pepes.
Heathen! BAR all the way!

I'm joking of course, while I actually like BAR's apizza better the decor is a bit "anywhere chic USA" and doesn't have that old fashioned one in a million homestyle warmth that Pepe's has (not to mention it's a must try and is certainly a conversation starter).

Old 04-23-2016, 04:06 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
When you say Pepe's home style warmth, I'm sure you aren't referring to the staff because the New Haven location has the rudest employees I've ever encountered. Their pies are good for sure but, IMHO, no better than Modern and the service makes Modern the better choice of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Heathen! BAR all the way!

I'm joking of course, while I actually like BAR's apizza better the decor is a bit "anywhere chic USA" and doesn't have that old fashioned one in a million homestyle warmth that Pepe's has (not to mention it's a must try and is certainly a conversation starter).

Old 04-23-2016, 05:52 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
A friend and I are attending and volunteering at the Bernie Sanders rally in New Haven on Sunday. Before we go, we would like to enjoy a nice dinner. We would like either an American or Italian cuisine and we do not want to be waiting an hour to be seated. Where would be a good place for us to eat dinner?
If you like pizza I would recommend Modern on State St. Not sure what the wait would be like on a Sunday afternoon, but I doubt it would be more than an hour. Parking will be an issue in that area though.

If modern is too busy/too long of a wait there are other restaurants on State St that you can choose from that are very close to Modern. I'm not sure of their names or what type of food they serve, but I do think there is a Mexican restaurant and another pizza place in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut