Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM

38 posts, read 37,987 times

Advertisements

It looks LONG...like probably over an hour each way, right?

I am considering a part time job there - 3 days per week doing that commute. I may be able to transfer to Guilford after some time, but won't know for sure if it's a real possibility.

Maybe 3 days a week wouldn't be terrible. It's also for a job in a specialized field I want to work in, so I need to get my foot in the door somewhere to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:26 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jky123 View Post

I am considering a part time job there - 3 days per week doing that commute. I may be able to transfer to Guilford after some time, but won't know for sure if it's a real possibility.

Maybe 3 days a week wouldn't be terrible. It's also for a job in a specialized field I want to work in, so I need to get my foot in the door somewhere to start.
It is about 45 miles from Guilford to South Windsor so yes it would be a LONG commute. On top of the distance you will likely have to deal with traffic going into Hartford each day which add time to that commute. Without traffic the trip would likely be an hour. With traffic it would be more like an hour 15 or 20 minutes. Not something I would want to do even three times a week. Your choice though. Jay

Old 04-27-2016, 12:48 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:

It depends which route you'd take. If you take Interstate 95 to Interstate 91 then go onto Interstate 84 it'll take an 1 to 1 hour and 15 mins with traffic. I wouldn't recommend that route but if you want a faster commute I would take 77 to Durham which leads onto 17 and from there get onto Route 9 in Middletown. From Middletown just get on 91 then 84. If you're commutting from the eastern side of Guilford then take 81 through Killingworth and get onto Route 9.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
It depends which route you'd take. If you take Interstate 95 to Interstate 91 then go onto Interstate 84 it'll take an 1 to 1 hour and 15 mins with traffic. I wouldn't recommend that route but if you want a faster commute I would take 77 to Durham which leads onto 17 and from there get onto Route 9 in Middletown. From Middletown just get on 91 then 84. If you're commutting from the eastern side of Guilford then take 81 through Killingworth and get onto Route 9.
Sorry but those other routes (Routes 77 or 81) will not save the OP any time. They are slower country back roads and have things like school buses, stop signs and some traffic on them. Also note that when they get to Middletown there will be some traffic lights to deal with including those on Route 9 which are notorious for have backups particularly during the warm weather months. And the OP still has to go through Hartford. Not a pretty commute by any means. Jay

Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry but those other routes (Routes 77 or 81) will not save the OP any time. They are slower country back roads and have things like school buses, stop signs and some traffic on them. Also note that when they get to Middletown there will be some traffic lights to deal with including those on Route 9 which are notorious for have backups particularly during the warm weather months. And the OP still has to go through Hartford. Not a pretty commute by any means. Jay
agree - I was driving up from the shoreline to the Hartford area quite often last year, and the lights on Route 9 in Middletown going north was usually more of a delay than traffic on 91 going into Hartford.

The OP's problem is that he's going backroads through Guilford until he's on either 91 down in North Haven or route 9, and that's not really very easy, either. Neither is really a good option.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:43 PM

38 posts, read 37,987 times
Are there any public transportation options for the commute?

Old 04-27-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Are there any public transportation options for the commute?
Not likely. You would have to get to New Haven then catch a bus to Hartford and then a bus to South Windsor, if there is even a bus that goes where you would work. Not an easy commute. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut