Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:40 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not necessarily. I have family that flies a lot and they use Bradley often because the cost is comparable to New York airports. They live about equal distance from Bradley and the New York City airports (Kennedy, LaGuardia) and are close to Westchester so they check flight costs at all of them. Sometimes Bradley is cheaper, sometimes New York. It depends. Jay
I fly often (6 times per year) and with the exception of a fluke, BDL is never anywhere near as cheap as LGA or JFK. It's also more difficult to find a direct flight out of BDL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 07:40 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I should add that they also check Newark in New Jersey and Stewart in New York so there are a lot of choices. If the costs are similar they will go to Bradley because it is easier to get to and parking is less expensive than the others. Jay

Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not necessarily. I have family that flies a lot and they use Bradley often because the cost is comparable to New York airports. They live about equal distance from Bradley and the New York City airports (Kennedy, LaGuardia) and are close to Westchester so they check flight costs at all of them. Sometimes Bradley is cheaper, sometimes New York. It depends. Jay
When i stayed in nh i only went to Bradley when my job paid for my trips. Always went to nyc or white plans. It was cheaper but Bradley was easier to get to.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:35 AM

503 posts, read 530,588 times
In my experience the best you can hope for with Bradley is a fare comparable to the larger airports. In many cases the fare will be higher or you will have to settle for a layover vs. the direct flight that was available at JFK. However, after considering the hassle of traveling to JFK and the expense of long-term parking there, Bradley usually wins.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:13 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
In my experience the best you can hope for with Bradley is a fare comparable to the larger airports. In many cases the fare will be higher or you will have to settle for a layover vs. the direct flight that was available at JFK. However, after considering the hassle of traveling to JFK and the expense of long-term parking there, Bradley usually wins.
Bradley may win for those near Hartford, understandably. But for the area were talking about (northern FFC, western NHC), it's the same distance to both LGA and BDL. Traffic to LGA is usually a non issue and often way overstated. JFK can be an issue but usually doesn't add more than 15 minutes onto the trip. As for parking, if you do your homework and don't park at the airport or one of the immediate offsite lots, you can easily park for cheap-ish.

For me, it's worth a cheaper flight, a direct flight, more flight options, and a higher probability of an upgrade as the planes are usually larger. BDL is great for those in the Hartford area. For those of us in southern CT, JFK, LGA, and HPN are superior in many ways.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:13 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,106 times
Default Try these three

Quote:
Originally Posted by britchickny View Post
Hello,

I have done a fair bit of searching here and finally thought I might make my own post for advice on possible areas to move to.

We currently live on LI and have three children, the oldest being almost 10 down to a preschooler.

My husband's job takes him all over and if we moved I would either work from home or seek a new job.

My husband has clients in CT, NYC, Albany, Southern MA, and NJ. So there is really no good place to live.

He currently is away from home a LOT so we were thinking a move might help somewhat.

Ideally I would like a good solid school district, within 45mins of the ferry back to Port Jeff on LI - a 4 bedroom house for a budget of up to around $400k. It would be nice to have more space around us that we have here on LI.

I know its a very vague question, but all suggestions welcome!

Thank you
Ridgefield, Monroe or Trumbull I think overall meet your requirements the best.
One more I would throw in there might be Glastonbury although it may be too far east?
It is right along 91 south of Hartford, but due to his clients in Albany and New Jersey probably one of the other three. Biggest problem is Ridgefield: from what I am told; is the lack of cell and wifi.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:20 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
One more I would throw in there might be Glastonbury although it may be too far east?
It is right along 91 south of Hartford, but due to his clients in Albany and New Jersey probably one of the other three. Biggest problem is Ridgefield: from what I am told; is the lack of cell and wifi.
Glastonbury is too far from the ferry. The OP wanted to be within 45 minutes of Bridgeport and Glastonbury would be more like an hour. Jay

Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
$400K is a stretch in Ridgefield and it puts OP off the beaten path compared to some other locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut