Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 02:29 PM

503 posts, read 530,512 times

Advertisements

As I was researching wedding gift etiquette, I came across something interesting. According to data collected by Tendr, a service used to securely send cash gifts, Connecticut residents give more generously at weddings than any other state. CT cash gifts averaged $229, while the nationwide average was only $120. Not bad for a state in an apocalyptic death spiral facing imminent economic collapse, right?

Source: How Much Should You Give at Weddings? A... -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 02:42 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
wow - that's a lot higher than anywhere else. NY, NJ and RI and close. Why is Mass so cheap in comparison, though?

Old 05-15-2016, 02:45 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Wow Utah is cheap. I wonder if it has to do with its Mormon influence.

Am I the only one who thinks that it's odd that Mississippi (which is named the poorest state) to be almost the same as the most expensive states like New Jersey and New York.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:49 PM

845 posts, read 680,304 times
Could have fooled me. My buddy's wedding in February only had 10 or so people give something. I was the only person who actually got a tangible gift instead of just money.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:50 PM

503 posts, read 530,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post

Am I the only one who thinks that it's odd that Mississippi which is named the poorest state is almost the same as the most expensive states like New Jersey and New York.
Yeah I noticed that both Mississippi and Alabama seemed to be punching well above their weight. I'm wondering if its a cultural thing to give relatively large sums down there?

Old 05-15-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Yeah I noticed that both Mississippi and Alabama seemed to be punching well above their weight. I'm wondering if its a cultural thing to give relatively large sums down there?
then why are LA, Arkansas and Georgia so low?

Old 05-15-2016, 03:15 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
I think it has to do with the notion that the poor are typically more generous than the wealthy?

Old 05-15-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I think it has to do with the notion that the poor are typically more generous than the wealthy?
Those surveys that come out every year or two that claim poor states give more to charity than wealthy states are inherently inaccurate. The numbers they use are as a percentage of itemized deductions, and people in poor states are far less likely to itemize their deductions than people in wealthy states. So, if 50% of itemized filers in Arkansas give to charity, it's still a far lower number than if 40% of CT itemized filers give to charity, since the number of CT residents that itemize on their IRS returns is around double the percentage of Arkansas itemizers.

Plus, wealthier states also likely have more & wealthier businesses that give to charitable causes as well.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:47 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Typically a person/couple is supposed to pay for their plate. Our wedding cost about $120pp so $229 is about right. I have been to 4 weddings since April 1st and me and my wife always do $300.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:02 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Yes, it probably is -- at least indirectly. When a couple gets married, they invite practically every family in their ward (i.e. congregation) to their reception, regardless of how well they even know them. And that's on top of everybody else (family and friends from outside the ward). Mormons tend to marry young (early twenties) and many live at home with their parents until they get married. Consequently, they likely still attend the same congregation they were raised in. It's entirely possible that five or six young men and women in a single ward may get married within a six month period. Most people can't afford to give ten or more expensive wedding gifts within a year. If I am invited to a wedding reception and know either the bride or groom or their parents really well, I may spend $50 or so. Otherwise, I spend only about $30 to $40 on a gift. At this point in my life, there aren't a lot of young people of marriageable age in my ward, and I don't really know the ones there are very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut