Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 09:52 AM

247 posts, read 231,035 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else impatiently awaiting the CREC lottery results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 11:27 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFlower33 View Post
Is anyone else impatiently awaiting the CREC lottery results?
I called last week and they said "within 2 weeks" but would not give a firm date. Supposed to be by the end of April, then it was changed to mid-May.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:32 AM

I called yesterday and was told later this week. I read elsewhere that they were waiting for town budgets to be approved to know how many RSCO spots they have for the suburb schools. Understandable, I guess... but so frustrating.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:49 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
They really need to open the process up, to make it completely transparent, to avoid diversion of the valuable free nursery school spots. I have personally encountered situations where people who worked for the Hartford school system, or for CREC, or for an institution "hosting" the CREC school. were able to get their children into the free all day preschools, without having to go through the lottery, or at a clearly highly preferential rate. That's about a 10K/year value - certainly valuable.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:37 PM

Results are in.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:19 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFlower33 View Post
Results are in.
did you get the results you were seeking?

Old 05-23-2016, 05:35 AM

Yes. I mean, I hope so. My daughter applied for only one high school (9th grader coming from Newington) and got in. I'm still reluctant, but she's going. Thank you.

How about you?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:43 PM

29 posts, read 35,611 times
Parentologist --

Ugh. Stories like this are why no one believes Hartford can right itself. Every good program quickly molders into a patronage mess. Is it true that crec was once a merit based system and now is lottery? How are we supposed to feel about that? Why can't we dedicate ourselves to building something truly great? Where is the greatness here? Is it reserved for the hedgies in ffc?

I know I compare to Chicago too much - but allow this one more time: the absolute best thing Chicago public schools did to pull out of a death spiral was to establish charter specialty schools (math and science academy, etc) that are competitive admissions. Yes, they also have a lottery for better performing local schools, but you CAN get a world class education now in the Chicago public schools, if you test in. NYC same. It's necessary. Why not here?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomhpo View Post
Parentologist --

Ugh. Stories like this are why no one believes Hartford can right itself. Every good program quickly molders into a patronage mess. Is it true that crec was once a merit based system and now is lottery? How are we supposed to feel about that? Why can't we dedicate ourselves to building something truly great? Where is the greatness here? Is it reserved for the hedgies in ffc?

I know I compare to Chicago too much - but allow this one more time: the absolute best thing Chicago public schools did to pull out of a death spiral was to establish charter specialty schools (math and science academy, etc) that are competitive admissions. Yes, they also have a lottery for better performing local schools, but you CAN get a world class education now in the Chicago public schools, if you test in. NYC same. It's necessary. Why not here?
It's called "striving for mediocrity". Plot the aptitude of children on a 2-D graph. Some of these points will be off the charts high, some will be off the charts low, most will cluster around the mean distribution. Instead of aiming to make that cluster look more like the higher "outliers" we force the gifted children to be merely "average". Throw in some nanny state liberal ideology where you can't even put gifted children in a challenging environment because it necessarily separates them from their normal counterparts and you have...

Old 05-25-2016, 05:52 AM

29 posts, read 35,611 times
....Connecticut circa 2016.

Sigh. You're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut