Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:47 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times

Advertisements

Hartford -- The Department of Motor Vehicles admitted Wednesday that about 50,000 incorrect car tax bills will be mailed to Connecticut drivers as a result of its continuing computer nightmare, which has sent faulty information to municipal assessors as to which vehicles are garaged in their towns.

People should carefully examine their bills when they get them in the mail, and report any discrepancies to local tax officials who can rectify the problem.

"We are advising residents early so that they look immediately at their tax bills and make any necessary changes before paying them. All of us are being pro-consumer in this effort and wanting to prevent inconveniences for taxpayers," DMV Commissioner Michael Bzdyra said at a press conference at DMV headquarters in Wethersfield.

He was joined in his announcement by the Connecticut Association of Assessing Officers and the Connecticut Tax Collectors' Association.

Local tax officials had complained of problems in recent months because of major computer problems that erupted after the DMV switched over to an upgraded, supposedly-improved computer system for vehicle registrations. Wednesday's announcement served notice that the potential problems that those officials were complaining about are about to become a reality for the taxpaying public.

officials said if a person receives a tax bill from a municipality in which they did not live or keep a vehicle – both as of Oct. 1, 2015 – he or she must contact the local assessor to request a transfer to the correct town or city of residency.

Local tax officials said they have been working for months to reduce the number of incorrect vehicle addresses from an original estimate of 250,000, but they still expect 50,000 incorrect bills as the result of the computer problems. That's above the normal 30,000 incorrect tax bills that go out in any given year for routine reasons such as people moving to a new town but not reporting it to DMV promptly. All told, there are 3.1 million vehicles statewide on which local property tax is paid.

50,000 Incorrect Vehicle Tax Bills Expected Because Of DMV Computer Snafu - Hartford Courant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 12:53 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
This happens every year. Go on Facebook and look at the comments from the NBC and Fox articles. Nearly everyone is saying "why should WE check if there's a mistake? It's your mistake so it's not my responsibility to fix it". Give me a break, it's a glitch. They don't know who is effected so they want YOU to double check. It's not hard to do. It takes 5 seconds with your own eyes. Be an adult, take a breath, suck it up, do it, and move on.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:44 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Can CT open smaller DMV centers it take way too long at DMV 2 hours just to renew licence

Old 06-08-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Can CT open smaller DMV centers it take way too long at DMV 2 hours just to renew licence
Go to AAA. It's much faster and there's less lines.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:35 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I just did renew my license at the AAA in Plainville. In and out in 15 minutes, even being initially 5th in line.

What I don't understand is how the State figures they need $72 to cover the cost for AAA to produce the new license. (BTW AAA gets a $3 "convenience" fee).

Old 06-08-2016, 07:08 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
I just did renew my license at the AAA in Plainville. In and out in 15 minutes, even being initially 5th in line.

What I don't understand is how the State figures they need $72 to cover the cost for AAA to produce the new license. (BTW AAA gets a $3 "convenience" fee).
I went to AAA's Cromwell office and it was the same thing, in and out in 15 minutes. Worth the added cost IMHO. Jay

Old 06-08-2016, 09:12 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I went to AAA's Cromwell office and it was the same thing, in and out in 15 minutes. Worth the added cost IMHO. Jay
The $3 I understand. It's the $72 I don't.

In CO the fee is $26, AND they have an online renewal option, with new DL mailed to you. (They use the last photo they have on file.)

https://apps.colorado.gov/apps/jboss...ewal/index.jsf

Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 PM

Shhh...not many people know that you can go to AAA rather than the DMV. Don't spread that information around so it can stay quiet. I want to stay in line for 15 mins. The more people learn about it, the longer we'll be in line .

Old 06-09-2016, 12:00 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
In CO the fee is $26, AND they have an online renewal option, with new DL mailed to you. (They use the last photo they have on file.)
Basically the same in Texas. No visit anywhere needed.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:46 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Cool. I hope they glitch puts me down for 2001 Toyota prius with a tax bill of 30$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut