Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 03:29 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
A lot of that crime is due to all the suburbanites that roll into the city looking to buy drugs or sex.
So are the people from the burbs driving in and committing rape, burglary, assualts, stealing cars and other property too? By your definition they must be because ALL of those stats are MUCH MUCH higher in the cities per capita than in the burbs.

Crime in the cities is not just from drug wars, nor is all of the violence in the cities drug related. That is a fallasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 06:12 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Bristol is considered a city by population measures. It does have a good mix of housing for all income levels. Many of the homes in Bristol look more like their suburban neighbors than those we're accustomed to seeing in the city.

It does however lack a viable downtown, an current hot issue. The former Centre Mall site is being cleared and developers have been solicited across the country to bid on a downtown development plan for the 17 acre site.

I'm excited to see the proposals and hope that pedestrian-friendly mixed use opportunities are presented to help breathe new life into our city's center.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:15 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Bristol is considered a city by population measures.
...not just by population. Bristol is a city as established by Special Act of the Connecticut General Assembly:

List of cities in Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-15-2008, 10:49 AM

113 posts, read 277,507 times
Default Greenwich for sure

No town in Connecticut compares to Greenwich. I am amazed that no one has mentioned it but I would move back to Greenwich if I could afford to live there. Awesome town, great library, schools and everything else. Greenwich Ave is the Rodeo Drive of the East. High standards for sure.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srib View Post
Thats a great statistic - too bad it:
B. Speaks only to drugs - while clearly buying the drugs is in itself a crime, your stat provides no correlation that buying the drugs leads to crimes in the city being committed by those from the suburbs...robbery, larceny, murder, etc.
That neighborhood was like a warzone due to gangs fighting for the right to sell drugs. That fighting was fueled by the large demand for drugs from people outside of Bridgeport. The 'burbs indirectly financed the gangs. If the demand wasn't there then there would be nobody selling drugs and nobody fighting for market space. Just another example of how CT suburbs bleed CT cities dry.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,455 times
yeah, uh huh, sure sure.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 28,762 times
East Hartford
Ashford
Vernon

I grew up in East Hartford in the 70's & 80's. I think it was a terrific place to be a kid at that time. The schools were decent, there were places to go and things to do. We could walk or ride bikes to parks, pools, shopping, etc all in relative safety. I think it has become a bit "rough" since then, but the neighborhoods still seem to be tight. When I first got married, we bought a house in East Hartford and stayed there for a few years, but longed for a more quiet existence.

That's when we moved to Ashford. Talk about culture shock. I loved the peace & quiet, being able to see all the stars at night, and our house had the most beautiful sunset views. The downside was that we were now living too far away from friends & family. Going anywhere became a planned day trip. And we missed chatting with our neighbors; in Ashford they seemed a bit stand-offish.

So we moved to Vernon last year. I think it has the perfect blend, it's the right distance from the city while still being close to conveniences. Our neighbors are the best anyone could hope for. My son has friends nearby to play with. I can't comment on the public schools since he goes to catholic school, but from what I've seen they're not bad.

The only part I don't like about living here has nothing to do with the town itself: My wife died 3 weeks after we moved here, so I will always have that memory attached to this place. But the way everyone came out to support us - the church, our new neighbors, people who hadn't even met us before - just makes it feel like we belong. I hope to stay here for many years.

One thing to consider is that Connecticut is a small state. No matter what town you live in, you have the entire state at your fingertips. Whether we lived centrally or out in the northeast Quiet Corner, we found that we still went to the same places, did the same things. I can't compare CT to any other state because I've never lived anywhere else. I love this state.

Plus, Connecticut has just been rated as the safest state for kids.

~UncleD

Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
That neighborhood was like a warzone due to gangs fighting for the right to sell drugs. That fighting was fueled by the large demand for drugs from people outside of Bridgeport. The 'burbs indirectly financed the gangs. If the demand wasn't there then there would be nobody selling drugs and nobody fighting for market space. Just another example of how CT suburbs bleed CT cities dry.

To repeat myself:

So are the people from the burbs driving in and committing rape, burglary, assualts, stealing cars and other property too? By your definition they must be because ALL of those stats are MUCH MUCH higher in the cities per capita than in the burbs.

Crime in the cities is not just from drug wars, nor is all of the violence in the cities drug related. That is a fallasy.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:17 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
To repeat myself:
People live in fear. They are afraid to leave their house after dark because of the violence associated with drug gangs in certain areas.

Businesses close down because of the drug gangs.

Innocent by-standers get shot because of the drug gangs.

Those communities were destroyed by the drug game, and the drug game is financed with suburban dollars. Once the community was under siege the other types of crime started to rise. The truth hurts doesn't it?

Even though the suburban rapists and thieves prefer to commit those crimes in their boring suburban towns, the Elliot Spitzer wannabes have no problem driving into the city looking to buy "you know what"...... There are several strip clubs in Bridgeport that are notorious for "extras" and they get customers from all over CT as well as Westchester and the Bronx every weekend.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
People live in fear. They are afraid to leave their house after dark because of the violence associated with drug gangs in certain areas.

Businesses close down because of the drug gangs.

Innocent by-standers get shot because of the drug gangs.

Those communities were destroyed by the drug game, and the drug game is financed with suburban dollars. Once the community was under siege the other types of crime started to rise. The truth hurts doesn't it?

Even though the suburban rapists and thieves prefer to commit those crimes in their boring suburban towns, the Elliot Spitzer wannabes have no problem driving into the city looking to buy "you know what"...... There are several strip clubs in Bridgeport that are notorious for "extras" and they get customers from all over CT as well as Westchester and the Bronx every weekend.
Drugs are a problem - no doubt. To say it's the ONLY problem and it's ONLY suburban customers is dishonest at best.

So, if I understand you correctly, the problem with the cities is the "boring" suburbs. Is that what you are saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut