Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:09 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times

Advertisements

Okay, back to the original topic. I'm sitting here in Bristol tonight relaxing after having a wonderful Easter dinner with my relatives and taking a nice walk around my quiet neighborhood with my wife, kids, and dogs on a cool, sunny, early spring day!

Every town in Connecticut has something to offer, somewhere to escape the madness, and somewhere to find beauty.

In the summer I have driven my family down to the beach at Seaside Park in Bridgeport. You have to drive through some troubled areas yet I have never found a problem at the beach. You can get a season pass for parking for $5 if you're a resident or $30 if you're a nonresident. That is considerably less expensive than the state parks.

Silver Sands in Milford is every bit as beautiful as Rocky Neck if not more since it is less commercial. Sometimes I'll take a trip down to Chick's Drive In in West Haven and enjoy the free beach parking while taking in some fried clams and a milk shake.

Summer wouldn't be complete without a trip to Mystic and parking downtown, watching the drawbridge lifted, and grabbing an ice cream cone with the family. I especially like going there when the art festival is in town and walking by the docks and watching the people fishing.

Sometimes I'll take a motorcycle ride through downtown Waterbury to see what's up on Union Square. Last summer I saw quite a few people enjoying some outdoor dining.

Love to ride out on RT 44 and stop buy the Speckled Hen in Norfolk for a sandwich and refreshment and continue on through Barkhamsted to stop by the reservoir and on into Simsbury for an ice cream at Fosters.

East of the River nothing beats a nice mountain bike ride through the trails at Soap Stone Mountain or following Rt 32 and the Willimantic River from Stafford Springs out to Manfield Depot and over to Rt 31 for some hot wings at the Bidwell Tavern. Maybe hook-up with Rt 384 ext and get off on 195 to catch some rays at the Mansfield Dam.

Oh yeah, Pomfret, Norwich (love the river), the covered bridge in Colchester on the Salmon River, on through East Hampton over the Portland Bridge and into Middletown for some great Italian food choices. Don't forget Old Saybrook, Westbrook, Old Lyme, Niantic all great choices with cool places to relax with the family.

I could go on and on. I enjoy Hartford, New Haven, Stamford, Meridan and others too. All these places have their pluses and minuses depending on your perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:01 PM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
I'm partial to my hometown of Simsbury. Now I just wish I could still afford to live there. :-) In addition I also lived in Hartford, West Hartford, Newington, Branford and Old Saybrook.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 PM

26 posts, read 129,563 times
Lived in CT my entire life, don't plan on leaving. Planning to buy a house here in about 5 years. Here's where I've lived from most to least favorite:

1) Middlefield/Middletown (right on the line)
2) Torrington
3) Seymour

Also Colchester but was very young and don't remember it.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:08 PM

7 posts, read 28,858 times
Redding
Ridgefield
Fairfield
Danbury

In that order. I absolutely love Redding & Ridgefield. They are close to NYC & offer excellent schools & lovely homes. Danbury is the worst. Serious illegal immigration problem & not the best schools. If I could afford it, I'd move back to Redding in a heartbeat.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:52 PM

115 posts, read 446,981 times
Bridgeport and Monroe. Now in Jersey and hopefully soon Nashville, TN.

Monroe was my favorite. I would move back their in a heartbeat!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Towns i've lived in:

Torrington
Suffield
Windsor Locks
West HArtford
Southington

My favorite:
Suffield with Southington not to far behind....

WHICH TOWNS HAVE YOU LIVED AND WHATS YOUR FAVORITE AMONG THEM?
I've live in Cromwell and Colchester.

I LOVED Colchester. The teachers at the high school were excellent, there were plenty of places to eat in town, always something to do.. and was never too hard to make friends.

Good education, fast growing town, but still fair "community oriented"

I like it and wish I could return for work, but theres nothing for me in my field in New London County.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 18,421 times
Hartford and then East Hartford.

- Mark

Old 04-13-2008, 02:57 PM

11 posts, read 35,179 times
I grew up in Bridgeport and after living away from CT for some time, came back and lived in Westport and then Milford. I loved Westport and have very fond memories. I really like living in Milford too. The older my kids get the harder it will be to leave Milford.
My favorite---I would have to say Westport.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:14 AM

52 posts, read 176,434 times
Stratford
Bridgeport
Fairfield
Glastonbury
Hartford
Manchester
Manchester is definitely my favorite!!
Julia

Old 04-14-2008, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,287 times
grew up in torrington
and lived in
Storrs
west hartford
naugatuck
beacon falls
new haven

torrington has to be my fav
but had a blast in storrs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut