Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:12 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Greenwich is quite a bit larger than Ridgewood. I've spent plenty of time in both. I don't get that feel. Ridgewood is a village. I admit I know little to nothing about New Canaan.
By Greenwich I mean the area around the center of town, not the entire town. Yes, it is bigger but to me they have similar feels. Maybe because they were developed around the same time and are of similar densities. Could also be the affluence of both towns. Both have small hospitals and their high schools are sort of similar (the original Greenwich High though was converted to the Town Hall back in the 70's while Ridgewood High is still used). Every time I am there I think Greenwich.

New Canaan is smaller than Greenwich, maybe closer to Ridgewood, though I feel it is newer and a lot less dense overall. You likely should check it out for yourself to see if you like it or not. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 02:30 PM

830 posts, read 1,078,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I have to laugh at the choices, apparently everyone must work from home in these towns. To me commute and traffic would be high on the list of criteria and these places would mostly fail. Especially Norwalk for having some of the worst local/main road traffic I've experienced.
Huh? Almost all the top 10 are NY commuter towns on the train line (except Mystic and Ridgefield).

Old 06-14-2016, 02:34 PM

789 posts, read 697,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
By Greenwich I mean the area around the center of town, not the entire town. Yes, it is bigger but to me they have similar feels. Maybe because they were developed around the same time and are of similar densities. Could also be the affluence of both towns. Both have small hospitals and their high schools are sort of similar (the original Greenwich High though was converted to the Town Hall back in the 70's while Ridgewood High is still used). Every time I am there I think Greenwich.

New Canaan is smaller than Greenwich, maybe closer to Ridgewood, though I feel it is newer and a lot less dense overall. You likely should check it out for yourself to see if you like it or not. Jay
Jay, thanks, yes I need to check New Canaan. I do think there may be some similarities bw Ridgewood and the area around downtown Greenwich. But to me, Ridgewood is upwardly mobile high income area, while Greenwich is uber wealthy. For example there are a handful of $3m homes in Ridgewood but nothing approaching the mega wealth in Greenwich. Ridgewood homes are mostly just above/below the $1m mark. Greenwich is a shack for $1m. But gotta love the property tax. Difference is doctor/lawyer rich vs multi-generational or CEO/hedge fund wealth.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:08 PM

13,962 posts, read 13,726,329 times
Quote:
Jay, thanks, yes I need to check New Canaan. I do think there may be some similarities bw Ridgewood and the area around downtown Greenwich. But to me, Ridgewood is upwardly mobile high income area, while Greenwich is uber wealthy. For example there are a handful of $3m homes in Ridgewood but nothing approaching the mega wealth in Greenwich. Ridgewood homes are mostly just above/below the $1m mark. Greenwich is a shack for $1m. But gotta love the property tax. Difference is doctor/lawyer rich vs multi-generational or CEO/hedge fund wealth.
Northern area by Merritt Parkway in Stamford is very nice 1 million homes like Ridgewood the area within Westhill High School. I think it Springdale not sure

Old 06-14-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Northern area by Merritt Parkway in Stamford is very nice 1 million homes like Ridgewood the area within Westhill High School. I think it Springdale not sure
Maybe I'm looking at wrong ratings, but I never see Stamford public schools rated very well.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,150,427 times
Quote:
Greenwich is a humongous town like Fairfield, by CT standards, they could be cities. As I mentioned previously, downtown Ridgewood reminded me of downtown Ridgefield and New Canaan. I don't think the difference in density is earth shattering. You won't find an exact twin of Ridgewood.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Greenwich is a humongous town like Fairfield, by CT standards, they could be cities. As I mentioned previously, downtown Ridgewood reminded me of downtown Ridgefield and New Canaan. I don't think the difference in density is earth shattering. You won't find an exact twin of Ridgewood.
Thanks. I didn't mean to suggest I was looking for an exact twin to Ridgewood NJ. I brought it up to convey that that town had a strong sense of "community" which was a nice feature. I do know most lots in Ridgewood are 1/4 - 1/3 acre with very few even 0.5 acres. From that respect Ridgefield/New Canaan are quite a bit less dense.

I'm pretty familiar with Ridgefield as I have family that lives there. Nice downtown area, very scenic, great architecture like most of CT but it gets very rural very fast as you get further from town and it is dam cold! lol. I think not only the fact that it is north but I believe the altitude is a factor in the cold/snow as well.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:49 AM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
Quote:
Greenwich's uber-wealth is not in their center of town but rather in their waterfront and back country areas. In town there are large older homes on smaller lots within walking distance of shops and train station, sort of like Ridgewood. New Canaan's center is about the size of Ridgewood though so it may be to your liking too. Jay

Old 06-15-2016, 09:25 AM

3,430 posts, read 3,902,781 times
The most similar town to Ridgewoood in CT is West Hartford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut