U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 05:08 PM

41 posts, read 137,670 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a home throughout Greater New Haven and found a nice one in Seymour. I'm just hoping that a Seymour expert out there can tell me a little more about the neighborhood we're looking at, as I'm not really familiar with the town. The neighborhood is west of the Naugatuck River near the train station. It is north of Bungay Road and west of Church Street.

I haven't heard anything bad about this area but when I came in off of Route 8, it looked kind of seedy traveling west on West Street. Can anyone out there comment on this area and give us a little more insight?

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 07:57 PM

32,499 posts, read 51,346,361 times
I am not an expert on Seymour but I did do some work there and got to know the town a little bit. I believe the area you are looking at is fine. In fact, I believe it gets very nice a not far from there.

I would not confuse "seedy" with old New England mill town buildings. Just because they are older and not pristinely taken care of ddoe snot make them seedy. It doesn;t mean they aren't either though. Maybe someone else could give you more specifics. Jay

Old 02-16-2008, 08:49 PM

2,564 posts, read 6,935,090 times
I don't know about the exact, nor can I tell you wheter a certain area is good or not as a realtor. You're best bet is to come by the neighborhood at different times of the day and see if you will feel comfortable there.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,228 times
Default Seymour, CT

I was thinking about buying a home in Seymour, CT and wanted to know if you could give me some insight on the town as for as schools and if the town family friendly. Also, I'm African American if that matters. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 AM

32,499 posts, read 51,346,361 times
The schools in Seymour are good with students performing around the state average on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance tests. Class sizes are reasonable at around 20 students per class. Not sure if being black is an issue or not. Out of a town of nearly 16,000, there are only a little over 400 blacks. Hope this helps. Jay

Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 23,147 times
I grew up in Seymour, graduated Seymour High in '96. I lived on Washington Ave. It is your typical "mill town". I loved living there. I never felt uncomfortable in any part of town. The town wasn't very kid friendly when I was younger but things started to change as I got older. We used to get hassled for skating downtown, but that seems sort of normal anywhere you go. I'd move back in a heartbeat if we could afford it. You really can't argue with a town that has less than 10 officers on duty at any one time. Matt

Old 05-01-2008, 11:22 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,530,646 times
Default It really depends on what type of home your looking for.

It really depends on what type of home your looking for. That neighborhood is older and the streets are lined with more vintage housing. Lots of character. If your looking for new homes then there are big developments going in near Chatfield School. Overall seymour has a very low crime rate.
You should check out a website that has data for all Connecticut towns. I believe its CERC.com

I think that neighborhood has services too (City water & sewer) as does the new ones by the school. Some areas are still well water with septic tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut