Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 03:51 PM

712 posts, read 530,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Surveillance enforcement has been viewed as unconstitutional by many groups and politicians in the state of Connecticut. So, as of right now, it can't be done and courts would likely throw out any citation if it were.

Proposing what? That people should be required by state law to purchase and install snow tires? Yes, that's absolutely insane.
Nothing unconstitutional about it. They simply don't like it so they call it that.
Plenty of red light cameras and they save lives.

Oh and if we really wanted to stop speeding we would simply have cars automatically limited to around the speed limit. Speed enforecement is about $$$$, not safety. I say limit all cars to 80mph. Trucking companies do this with their trucks already. No reason in hell cars should be built to go on PUBLIC ROADS over 100mph. You want to have a race car then fine, but don't take it on public roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 03:57 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
k

No they are not. They are a compromise. They're actually pieces of garbage in the snow being incorrectly marketed. If you had ever driven on snow tires for 2 seconds you would realize this. I used to think the same thing until I tried a friends snow tires on a 2 wd and couldn't believe the difference. Never looked back and would NEVER drive all seasons. It doesn't cost much more to rotate them in the long run. Just a quick stop to the tire shop twice a year. No big deal and a common sense move.
Ok, thanks..I'm not buying snow tires.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:41 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
MOST of the time...kinda like seat belts, home alarms, and cycle helmets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
cmon..not close to the same.
True. Only inferior tires endanger others.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:08 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Nothing unconstitutional about it. They simply don't like it so they call it that.
Plenty of red light cameras and they save lives.
Actually, it's a little more in depth than "not liking it". It's been ruled that people (driver) have a constitutional right to confront their accuser (cop). Surveillance enforcement doesn't allow that.

And no, there are not plenty of red light cameras in Connecticut. In fact, there are none.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Actually, it's a little more in depth than "not liking it". It's been ruled that people (driver) have a constitutional right to confront their accuser (cop). Surveillance enforcement doesn't allow that.

And no, there are not plenty of red light cameras in Connecticut. In fact, there are none.
They can confront their accuser(the state) in court. As long as they give someone the right to fight the red light ticket in court, the constitutional right to confront their accuser is there. There's a video picture of their car before and after running a red light. It's crystal clear evidence that's more powerful than a police officers testimony. There's nothing ambiguous about it so good luck winning.

I wasn't aware of that. There should be red light cameras. In areas that have them they do save lives. They just need to make sure to make the yellow a long yellow so people aren't slamming the brakes.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:49 PM

132 posts, read 149,439 times
While I'm a big supporter of snow tires, I will agree that they aren't necessarily needed. You can get by with A/S if you drive slow enough and hope you don't have to stop on an incline. Anyone that lacks confidence is the snow definitely shouldn't do it.

Having said that, I think everyone should experience driving in the snow with a proper winter set up. The difference is night and day. What usually is stressful for most becomes and absolute blast. I've talked two of my buddies into switching to snow tires and now they wish to get caught in a storm. The only downside is you constantly get stuck behind people with A/S!

Old 12-22-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panasyncp17 View Post
While I'm a big supporter of snow tires, I will agree that they aren't necessarily needed. You can get by with A/S if you drive slow enough and hope you don't have to stop on an incline. Anyone that lacks confidence is the snow definitely shouldn't do it.

Having said that, I think everyone should experience driving in the snow with a proper winter set up. The difference is night and day. What usually is stressful for most becomes and absolute blast. I've talked two of my buddies into switching to snow tires and now they wish to get caught in a storm. The only downside is you constantly get stuck behind people with A/S!
I'm willing to bet those who drive with snow tires are the ones who tend to drive a bit too fast too. I'd love to see actual stats on accidents caused by snow tires compared to all seasons...

Old 12-23-2016, 07:25 AM

132 posts, read 149,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I'm willing to bet those who drive with snow tires are the ones who tend to drive a bit too fast too. I'd love to see actual stats on accidents caused by snow tires compared to all seasons...
You really don't understand how traction works do you?

I bet you also think AWD helps in the snow too...

Old 12-23-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
You really don't understand how traction works do you?

I bet you also think AWD helps in the snow too...
zzzzzzz

Old 12-23-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Some people are hard headed. It reminds me of Grandparents once they FINALLY get a DVR full hd cable vs standard cable with no dvr. Once you get a dvr with hd you never go back and can't believe what you were missing. I don't understand people who knock something they've NEVER tried. How can you have an opinion about snow tires when you've never had them on your car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut