Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 02:07 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
RWD
FWD
AWD
RWD snow tires
FWD snow tires
AWD snow tires
Accurate. You can repeat the pattern the other way with summer tires too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 03:43 PM

833 posts, read 500,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If your stock tires won't stop the car, you hit the moron who pulled out in front of you. If you have best of breed winter tires, you probably don't hit them.
That statement depends entirely on the distance you have to brake... can't make a general statement like that. Snows would sure help though. But the chances of getting into that situation depend on how often you use the car and what route you take.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:44 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstodur View Post
All seasons should be fine if you are using AWD and know how to drive in snow. Of course winters/snows/studded will be better, but shouldn't be needed.

DISCLAIMER
New driver, still 16, but have driven in every single snowstorm of the 2017-2018 winter season. Car / driving enthusiast too
As someone who has taught high-performance driving to teens, please come back in 10 and 20 years and confirm that statement In other words, you need a little more seat time

Wish I'd been looking on CL all summer. Bit the bullet and my new ones got mounted up today. Surprised at how much quieter they are than past sets.
Attached Thumbnails
Snow tires in Connecticut??!-img_1478.jpg  

Old 11-22-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
As someone who has taught high-performance driving to teens, please come back in 10 and 20 years and confirm that statement In other words, you need a little more seat time

Wish I'd been looking on CL all summer. Bit the bullet and my new ones got mounted up today. Surprised at how much quieter they are than past sets.
Yeah but high performance isn't the point of this question. No one (at least I hope) is going to be rallying in a snowstorm. It's just getting around safely. And that can be done in the context of my reply.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:48 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Yeah but high performance isn't the point of this question. No one (at least I hope) is going to be rallying in a snowstorm. It's just getting around safely. And that can be done in the context of my reply.
Rally driving is a whole other level (they are not canceled for snowstorms). This was accident avoidance, high speed lane changes, panic stops. Things you'd experience on the road in real life conditions - including weather.

Agreed, all seasons and AWD *should* be fine if you keep speed and corners down to a reasonable level.

I'd still get studs with AWD. I've driven just about every combo starting with RWD with 2 bias ply snows, and it's what I found works best.

(if anyone was wondering, mixing bias with radials feels awful on dry pavement)

(also, rallying in a snowstorm is fun.... until you get carsick)

Old 12-09-2018, 09:18 AM

7 posts, read 3,341 times
Quote:
I've found that traction control off greatly improves the stability. I believe this was during the March 7, 2018 nor'easter, with TC on the rear end was very, very light... turned it off and it was flawless. Way more feedback from the car and your input is not going to be regulated by a computer. Be sure to use the manual mode too if you have an auto
For the sake of everyone else on the road, please leave your traction control and stability control on.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:20 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
It's time.... Finally. Snow tires went on today.

This is what my "All Seasons" look like. You think I wanna get caught in the snow with these?
Don't want to waste $$ buying new All Seasons. They are still fine for dry weather and rain.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
For the sake of everyone else on the road, please leave your traction control and stability control on.
What, and make it harder to control? The traction control was making it very dangerous to drive in snow. It's pretty good for when you aren't expecting it, but when you make an input for a specific reaction and the computer overrides it, that isn't safe.

Just to be clear - only turning it off in snowy & icy conditions.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:02 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
What, and make it harder to control? The traction control was making it very dangerous to drive in snow. It's pretty good for when you aren't expecting it, but when you make an input for a specific reaction and the computer overrides it, that isn't safe.

Just to be clear - only turning it off in snowy & icy conditions.
I agree 100%. That feature is the worst add on ever. Sometimes you need power to get momentum or to move and yet that feature give less power and "stops" the wheels from turning. Not only you end up getting stuck more but you lose all momentum especially for a hill.

If you dont know how to gain traction and get your vehicle to move without that feature you shouldnt be on the road.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 AM

7 posts, read 3,341 times
I would highly suggest you look into what stability control does.

Edit: Maybe you didn't say stability control, I implied it from your description of the change in handling characteristics of your car. It is disabled separately from traction control on most cars, if at all. To be clear, stability control should be on.

Last edited by eliminator; 01-18-2019 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut