Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 02:57 PM

207 posts, read 247,031 times

Advertisements

So I don't know where to turn. the apartment complex I live in sent us a letter on Friday that said they were placing a canister in our unit this coming wenseday from
8 am-8am on Friday they are doing this to get funding to fix up there properties I live in a carabetta managed apartment and they have $$$$$.

Well anyways we can't leave the windows open 12 hours before and 12 hours after we can run any whole room fans or ac that's three days of no fresh air coming into the apartment.

Is that even legal for them to do in the summer?. I called osha at the suggestion of my mom who said maybe they could help but it's the wekeend I left a message and hey are probably closed on Monday and that leaves one day to resolve it

Is there someone else I can call!.
for health reasons I can't go without fresh air for that long granted I'm working wenseday but I do have a day off during the testing i am a diabetic and I need fresh air circulating

I need to get out of there place is a dump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 04:07 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Radon testing is definitely annoying because of those reasons you cant have window, fan, or AC on.

Whats crazy is that they are doing this on one of the warmest & muggiest weeks this summer. It's going to feel like upper 90s!

Probably too late but maybe you can convince them (nicely) to do it when its cooler and drier (like fall or forecasted cooler)?

You know the hazards with Radon so if they feel it's necessary to protect the home owners and tenants they need to do this.

While CT doesn't have as many Radon related deaths as other states do, I found an interesting map

Geological Hazards, CT Geology - Wesleyan University

"This map shows potential indoor risk levels from radon in various areas of our state, based on many measurements of radon in water wells and in the air of our buildings"

"Radon (chemical symbol Rn) is a colorless, odorless, heavy gas that seeps up to the surface out of the rocks of the earth. Radon is a product of the decay of uranium (U), which is present in most rocks in small amounts, but U is also fairly concentrated in some areas of granite, pegmatites, and mineral veins in Connecticut."

Old 07-03-2016, 04:31 PM

So basically I am sol in terms of trying to find someone to stop it I wanted to call the fire department non emergency but only if it was nessecary me and my husband are
Going to find alternative arrangements for those 3 days because we can't be in that kind of heat

Old 07-03-2016, 04:38 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyechica View Post
So basically I am sol in terms of trying to find someone to stop it I wanted to call the fire department non emergency but only if it was nessecary me and my husband are
Going to find alternative arrangements for those 3 days because we can't be in that kind of heat
How much notice did they give you? I know, its a pain.

How many apartments are there? Why did they pick yours? Or are they installing one in each apartment??

They should work with the resident living in there for this. Hopefully they understand your condition and push it back. Tell them do it over the weekend so you can get away for a weekend or something.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:58 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Contact the city's health department. If that does not help then call the housing department for assistance. Also pull out your lease and read it to see what it says. I would doubt it says they can do it. They are basically making your apartment uninhabitable for several days. I would also refuse to allow it and tell them that if they want this they have to pay for a hotel. Good luck. Jay

Old 07-04-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Contact the city's health department. If that does not help then call the housing department for assistance. Also pull out your lease and read it to see what it says. I would doubt it says they can do it. They are basically making your apartment uninhabitable for several days. I would also refuse to allow it and tell them that if they want this they have to pay for a hotel. Good luck. Jay

Sadly we don't have a lease after one year with carabetta it's a month to month with them we have a mix of apartments the one bedrooms have 4 apartments in one building and a huge basement with storage cubbys washer and dryer, the rest of the space is a dumping ground for carabetta to dump used or old appliances

There are also two and three bedroom town house style apartments those each have their own basement everyone is being tested at once and it suxs

We got notice on Friday found out when we came home going to call them now and make a complaint

Old 07-04-2016, 11:34 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
I found this on a CT state website regarding Radon testing.
"Radon levels vary seasonally and tend to be higher in the winter
months. The best time to test for radon is in the colder season
between the months of November through March when your house
is closed up. Keep your windows and outside doors closed as much
as possible during the test. "

Since levels are highest in Winter, makes no sense that they wouldn't wait until then the test for it, if they really want to get a true high number for their apartments.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:20 PM

I am waiting for health department to call me back hoping tomorrow and that they can give me some answers

Old 07-04-2016, 06:14 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyechica View Post
Sadly we don't have a lease after one year with carabetta it's a month to month with them we have a mix of apartments the one bedrooms have 4 apartments in one building and a huge basement with storage cubbys washer and dryer, the rest of the space is a dumping ground for carabetta to dump used or old appliances

There are also two and three bedroom town house style apartments those each have their own basement everyone is being tested at once and it suxs

We got notice on Friday found out when we came home going to call them now and make a complaint
Even though your lease has lapsed, the terms are still in affect. Pull it out and look at it. I do not think they can force you to comply. Call the office and refuse to comply unless they provide you with a comfortable alternative. I do not think they can force this on you or throw you out. Tenant laws favor the tenant and this is clearly a questionable request. Jay

Old 07-05-2016, 09:30 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
What floor are you on? Only ground/basement levels should be tested. Radon is heavier than air, so it would have no way of getting to upper floors, except possibly (though unlikely) through forced air HVAC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut