Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 05:50 AM

428 posts, read 643,290 times

Advertisements

Anyone care to fill me in?
I've been to a small town or two and camped in Natchaug years ago, and am considering settling down there. It feels like the perfect blend of small New England towns with super easy proximity to family and the coast, rural yet lots to offer.

I intend to rent while I get to know the area--what should I know about in terms of water quality, local politics etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 07:58 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
Anyone care to fill me in?
I've been to a small town or two and camped in Natchaug years ago, and am considering settling down there. It feels like the perfect blend of small New England towns with super easy proximity to family and the coast, rural yet lots to offer.

I intend to rent while I get to know the area--what should I know about in terms of water quality, local politics etc?
Would probably be my favorite spot in the state over Litchfield County but I don't travel or know enough about Windham County. Not many on this forum are from the area so not sure how much advice you'll be able to get.

This might help?

//www.city-data.com/county/Windham_County-CT.html

Old 07-04-2016, 08:02 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
I'm hoping in the future you can come back here and tell us what you think about the area you moved to. I'm curious to hear. Thanks

Old 07-04-2016, 08:02 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Love the Northern corners. Litchfield is closer to many job opportunities depending how North you are. Where Putnam County is remote, but away from many jobs.

Very woodsy with farm land Putnam County. Like Putnam itself knew someone who lived up there. Nice downtown by the river if I can recall and decent hospital.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:49 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
They call it the quiet corner because it is so quiet. There are no big cities or large suburban areas. It is nice but a bit depressed in comparison to other parts of the state. That said it is still nice. I have several coworkers that live in the area and love it. They like the more rural character and small town atmosphere. They must like it since they are commuting an hour to their jobs. Jay

Old 07-04-2016, 05:09 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
They call it the quiet corner because it is so quiet. There are no big cities or large suburban areas. It is nice but a bit depressed in comparison to other parts of the state. That said it is still nice. I have several coworkers that live in the area and love it. They like the more rural character and small town atmosphere. They must like it since they are commuting an hour to their jobs. Jay
Not my cup of tea* but I can tell you that the communities are pretty tight knit and there's a concerted effort to promote the area. A few months back I visited Danielson, CT--not much happening now but the local businesses support and promote each other which I found very refreshing. People who live/work there are really dedicated to seeing their home town flourish. With a healthy infusion of cash this could be the next cultural hot spot in CT.

*I need to be by a large body of water....

Old 07-04-2016, 07:01 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
With a healthy infusion of cash this could be the next cultural hot spot in CT.
... and then it would not be the Quiet Corner anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut