Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:59 AM

258 posts, read 456,857 times

Advertisements

If he wants a peace and quiet setting but still be able to be close to things to do, why not check out some of the shoreline towns along 95 like Branford, Guilford, or Madison? You don't have to be too close to the highway, some of the northern sections of those towns are really out there. I'd suggest driving through those areas and checking them out, they're pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:50 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
If he wants a peace and quiet setting but still be able to be close to things to do, why not check out some of the shoreline towns along 95 like Branford, Guilford, or Madison? You don't have to be too close to the highway, some of the northern sections of those towns are really out there. I'd suggest driving through those areas and checking them out, they're pretty nice.
The place he found is $299,000 and has the setting he wants: 262 Brooklyn Tpke, Scotland, CT 06247 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

I think the other towns would be a lot higher in price.

Perfect setting for me though......I'd love this setup.....

Old 07-06-2016, 11:12 AM

610 posts, read 533,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
The place he found is $299,000 and has the setting he wants: 262 Brooklyn Tpke, Scotland, CT 06247 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Looks good to me too, a nice value. I noticed that the place seems to have been on the market for two years--so that might be an indication that it would be a challenge to sell if that's an issue down the road. Also the listing didn't show property tax. Your friend should check that out if he hasn't already--he may be unpleasantly surprised, based upon browsing I've done in the past in eastern CT.

I wish him good luck, it seems fabulous as a place to chill!

Old 07-06-2016, 11:23 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Yes, very pretty setting and it would be much , much more highly priced if it was in Middlesex or New Haven counties. However, it is also way up there in price for Scotland, which is likely why it has been on the market for so long. Will be a tough resale.

Taxes are just under $ 8,000.

IMO, too many stairs for a long term retirement house, too much land to maintain when you get on in years but I guess he really likes all those garage spaces. Make sure he uses one of them for a truck with a plow for the winter -lol

Good luck to your friend, may he enjoy his days looking out over that tranquil pond.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:13 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:

Nice, but looks like it needs some updating. Lots of maintenance for someone who's retired!

You'll find me, once retired, in a community where I pay an HOA fee and have zero outdoor maintenance.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
nice, but looks like it needs some updating. Lots of maintenance for someone who's retired!

You'll find me, once retired, in a community where i pay an hoa fee and have zero outdoor maintenance.
ditto!!

Old 07-06-2016, 12:57 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:

Two words come to mind;

Money Pit

Old 07-06-2016, 02:33 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

You'll find me, once retired, in a community where I pay an HOA fee and have zero outdoor maintenance.

Lol......hell.....I do that now!

Old 07-06-2016, 03:14 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
It's rural I mean it's somewhat close to Norwich and Willimantic. Scotland is not near the two major routes up that way. Believe Route 44 and Route 6.

If anything suggest checking out Brooklyn, Putnam, Pomfret, Killingly, and Woodstock up that way. Definitely check out the Woodstock area in the Northeast area of CT.

Down by the coast Niantic and Stonington are nice areas.

Litchfield County is nice. New Milford has a small town feel, but it's large with a lot of amenities. Has lots of activities and festivals going. Variety of volunteer work to do. Good senior rec activities. It is rural can be in the wood's near a babbling brook in sone location.

It's the gateway to LCounty fro the West further East you go becomes increasingly rural and towns become smaller. Each town has its own uniqueness to it. Very artsy and crafty area.
Neither 44 or 6 go through Scotland. The major routes there are 14 and 97 and neither have a lot on them. I believe the town has a couple of shops, maybe a bank and a restaurant or two. There is no entertainment there. Scotland is located next to Windham and there are major stores there including supermarkets and a Walmart. Very quiet town and area. I think the coworker can do equally well in another town that has more to offer. JMHO, Jay

Old 07-06-2016, 03:55 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Talking about 44 and 6 are the major routes in Eastern CT. Like you said neither go through Scotland, but Brooklyn, Putnam, and Pomfret do. Woodstock is off in the corner of Putnam near a nice forest area with a river. A river runs down the center of Putnam. Center of Putnam has decent stores supposedly a really cool bar. Never been heard Woodstock Fair in Woodstock is amazing. Killingly is where those routes meet and 395 believe goes right through Killingly. Think it seperate the historic section of Killingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut