Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 02:09 PM

503 posts, read 530,156 times

Advertisements

Check this out, from: Average Annual Snowfall for CT | WTNH Connecticut News

I knew there were differences in snowfall due to elevation and proximity to the shoreline but I had no idea it was this dramatic. Middletown gets 20" less snow than I do in Manchester... what? Looks like my next place will be further south and closer to the river!

I'm irritated to discover how similar my winter is to the rest of New England. I was just in Portland Maine a couple days ago which is easily more awesome than anywhere in CT. "Forget about it" she says, "the winters are too harsh." But are they? Turns out they get 61" of snow, barely more than me, and just a few degrees colder on average. If I'm going to endure Portland winters I want Portland culture, restaurant/bar scene, proximity to mountains, etc. This ain't right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 02:22 PM

712 posts, read 529,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Check this out, from: Average Annual Snowfall for CT | WTNH Connecticut News

I knew there were differences in snowfall due to elevation and proximity to the shoreline but I had no idea it was this dramatic. Middletown gets 20" less snow than I do in Manchester... what? Looks like my next place will be further south and closer to the river!

I'm irritated to discover how similar my winter is to the rest of New England. I was just in Portland Maine a couple days ago which is easily more awesome than anywhere in CT. "Forget about it" she says, "the winters are too harsh." But are they? Turns out they get 61" of snow, barely more than me, and just a few degrees colder on average. If I'm going to endure Portland winters I want Portland culture, restaurant/bar scene, proximity to mountains, etc. This ain't right.
The map is nonsense. Middletown doesn't get 20 inches average less snow than manchester. We are talking about a 30 year average. No way. I'd love to see them produce multiple climate stations actually backing up that statement. And Norfolk, CT doesn't get as much snow as buffalo. Hell, the northern high elevation berkshire climate stations in Massachusetts are coming in at upper 60 inch 30 year climate normals. Norfolk is clearly the snow jackpot of CT, but 90 inches is an over call.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:32 PM

712 posts, read 529,850 times
This is from the NWS in upton and contradicts your map. That map is absolutely ridiculous and they should take it down. North stonington/east lyme doesn't get as much snow as middletown. Laughable. It only shows the bottom half of the state though

Old 07-07-2016, 02:39 PM

503 posts, read 530,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
This is from the NWS in upton and contradicts your map. That map is absolutely ridiculous and they should take it down. North stonington/east lyme doesn't get as much snow as middletown. Laughable. It only shows the bottom half of the state though
I'm not sure which is right, but I think the one I posted at least LOOKS more realistic, because it has gradations that follow elevation and river valleys, while the NWS map ignores that completely.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:51 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
That's made by Quincy. Awesome guy! We communicated back and forth a lot about weather in CT when he was with News8. Tried to set me up with a job interview. But 1.5yrs ago he decided to chase Tornadoes in the plains instead. I believe he still lives in CT but since he doesn't post a lot of CT weather stuff anymore, a lot of guys are sad about that. He had some awesome posts. I think he still does in the winter though.

Here's his twitter handle. https://twitter.com/stormchaserQ

Ok, enough about him... regarding the map.. I really need time to look into it. Just know, there is literally only 2 official stations in CT that keeps track of snowfall totals over the years. There are others in between but many have missing or unreliable data. So with that said, any map you see with shades and numbers outside the official stations is only an estimate

Go with a range instead of an actual number like...hey, so and so gets 22". Don't do that. Might be close but could be very off.

There are other sites that have some annual totals such as this one below.. So sure, there is a way to "fill in the gaps" between those official sites but notice the years on record for them and remember its not totally reliable.

Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island

These are all the coop sites in CT. Lets take a look at one...

For instance.. here's a look at Rocky River Dam area... Notice 1948-2014 which isn't as bad. Some areas stopped reporting in the 1980s. Annual snowfall shows 16.7". How does that compare to the maps above and which is more off?

I'll see if I can gather more thoughts and info or maps and links.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:07 PM

Still looking for a link I know I have with annual snowfall averages.

Here's this. It's the actual amount that fell.

Observed Snowfall Analysis - NOHRSC - The ultimate source for snow information

Last winter 2015-16. 2-3 feet across CT

Previous Winter 2014-15. 4-8 feet across CT

Old 07-09-2016, 12:40 PM

139 posts, read 202,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Still looking for a link I know I have with annual snowfall averages.

Here's this. It's the actual amount that fell.

Observed Snowfall Analysis - NOHRSC - The ultimate source for snow information

Last winter 2015-16. 2-3 feet across CT

Previous Winter 2014-15. 4-8 feet across CT

Is that accurate? I live in SE CT and used my snowblower just once last season. No way we had 2-3ft total snow.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katskill View Post
Is that accurate? I live in SE CT and used my snowblower just once last season. No way we had 2-3ft total snow.

You're most likely on the lower end of 24" but remember...its a "total". You can have eight 3 inch snow events. Or three 5" events then a couple of small ones. Ect

But take a look at some noteworthy snow events last year... These are actual totals. You can find them and all our posts in the CT Weather Thread.

January 23rd, 2016 snowstorm. 7-13" in New London County.

Feb 5th, 2016 snowfall totals. 5-10 inches for New London County

February 8th, 2016 another 4-6" for New London County

Old 07-09-2016, 08:22 PM

Speaking of Quincy, look what he caught today. Cant get this in CT. Lol

https://twitter.com/stormchaserQ/sta...64278475853824

Old 07-10-2016, 07:34 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:

Portland doesn't get excessive amounts of snow because it's on the coast. Portland weather is actually somewhat similar to Boston's weather. But you also need to consider the other seasons too. Just last week it was 63 degrees in Portland in the middle of a July afternoon. Meanwhile it was 85-90 in the NYC area. Just something to consider...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut